The S&P could fall as low as 3,000 points in 2023 - Morgan Stanley.

S&P 500 up 20% in 2023 : Tom Lee.

Two of my favorite market analysis are Mike Wilson and Tom Lee.

One bearish the other bullish. One of them is right at anytime ????

more often Tom Lee.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2022/12/14/short-tom-lee-on-earnings-in-23-could-do-better-than-expected.html

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/stock-market-outlook-tom-lee-biggest-risk-2023-forecast-inflation-2022-12

18 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

S&P 500 up 20% in 2023 : Tom Lee.

Two of my favorite market analysis are Mike Wilson and Tom Lee.

One bearish the other bullish. One of them is right at anytime ????

more often Tom Lee.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2022/12/14/short-tom-lee-on-earnings-in-23-could-do-better-than-expected.html

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/stock-market-outlook-tom-lee-biggest-risk-2023-forecast-inflation-2022-12

pic80eaa620fc7307200abab2e34dedeab9.png.18487fbe210442b11a0971d060fcf6ed.png

Take your pick, there's something to suit everyones taste:

https://www.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/top-wall-street-strategists-give-their-sp-500-forecasts-for-2023-2970423

2 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Take your pick, there's something to suit everyones taste

I am an index fund investor, not a stock trader. I have been in the mrket for decades .On the list I find Mike Wilson and Tom Lee made good cases. Worth reading their opinion. Both are respectable. Unfortunately only one can be right. I don't pay much attention to the others.

22 hours ago, Thailand J said:

I am an index fund investor, not a stock trader. I have been in the mrket for decades .On the list I find Mike Wilson and Tom Lee made good cases. Worth reading their opinion. Both are respectable. Unfortunately only one can be right. I don't pay much attention to the others.

I'm curious, what's your pick for a global index tracker? I'm considering putting some spare cash into HSBC FTSE All World.

On 1/11/2023 at 10:37 AM, ozimoron said:

I think that requires a soft landing to the current economic downturn. I'm not convinced we are going to see one.

I think soft landing is what we're heading. meaning the bull is just around the corner.

The fed's feverish rate hides merely solved the labor shortage without creating an unemployment line. This may just be what will save the day.

Don't jump to conclusion if you see some large tech or financial corp announcing layoffs. You need to see the overall labor market date.

8 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

I'm curious, what's your pick for a global index tracker? I'm considering putting some spare cash into HSBC FTSE All World.

There was no where to hide in 2022 when the global economy went to ICU with an acute case of "helicopter money overdose".

I don't have oversea stocks, since S&P 500 draw 40% of their revenue overseas.

Screenshot 2023-01-12 174641.jpg

2 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

There was no where to hide in 2022 when the global economy went to ICU with an acute case of "helicopter money overdose".

I don't have oversea stocks, since S&P 500 draw 40% of their revenue overseas.

Screenshot 2023-01-12 174641.jpg

I went into wealth preservation funds in Sept. 2021 and have stayed there. CGT, PNL and RICA holdings meant I was down a maximum of 5%, now fully recovered. I'm slowly adding sensible assets but am a firm believer in a solid geographic spread. My best performers so far have been Developed Asia and EM. I'm holding 15% US, 4% UK, 4% EU, 6% Dev Asia and 5% EM, all for a total of 37% equities....the rest, 33%,  is in bonds, gold, FI and risk mitigation products. I recently bought Royal London Global Select which has proved to be very stable. My next purchase is likely to be Fidelity Europe which also has done well. I remain 30% cash.

7 hours ago, persimmon said:

Some people think the major index trackers have too much US large cap tech exposure , so mix them up with regional trackers and small cap ETFs to give a more balanced portfolio . Maybe even add some UK - doing well ATM .

You can pick a few index funds to cover every sectors and market caps.

I have Vanguard VOO, I also have Vanguard VTI which invest in mid caps and small caps.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Crypto-news-flash.com? Looks like a fanboy site for crypto/NFTs, etc.  All ponzi schemes. Of course you're going to find propaganda there.

Yes, the S&P may be going down. Look at the last 50 years and you'll see that that is how it works. Every few years there will be a year or two of drops, but it will still recover in the near term. Can you say that about crypto?

These banks will not tell you when they are buying Bitcoin, and the mainstream biased media certainly won't  - are you saying MS didn't buy BTC recently? Do you think they are foolish?

Look at Jamie Dimon, buying crypto while tell his employees they couldn't buy, creating FUD so as he could buy cheaply, you are being played! 

Read this thread and tell me that S&P has done better than BTC over the last 5 years. 

It's not rocket science, BTC compounded gains -  1330x

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 1:10 PM, Neeranam said:

These banks will not tell you when they are buying Bitcoin, and the mainstream biased media certainly won't  - are you saying MS didn't buy BTC recently? Do you think they are foolish?

Look at Jamie Dimon, buying crypto while tell his employees they couldn't buy, creating FUD so as he could buy cheaply, you are being played! 

Read this thread and tell me that S&P has done better than BTC over the last 5 years. 

It's not rocket science, BTC compounded gains -  1330x

@gargamon I repeat my questions -   are you saying MS didn't buy BTC recently? Do you think they are foolish?

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

@gargamon I repeat my questions -   are you saying MS didn't buy BTC recently? Do you think they are foolish?

I really don't care who is buying crypto. Just because some lemming jumps off a cliff you think I should too?

I do classical investments, in companies that make profit. I do not invest in mathematical constructs that essentially nobody understands how they work. Crypto is driven by hype alone, the classic definition of a ponzi scheme.

• Like 1

A couple of decent ETFs for the larger markets are from Horizons- HXS (for the S and P) and HXT (for TSX in Toronto). Both diversified well.  Their bank index ETF (HEWB) is also a pretty safe investment. Canadian banks are rock solid and weather financial storms better than most. 

28 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I really don't care who is buying crypto. Just because some lemming jumps off a cliff you think I should too?

I do classical investments, in companies that make profit. I do not invest in mathematical constructs that essentially nobody understands how they work. Crypto is driven by hype alone, the classic definition of a ponzi scheme.

I never said you should buy bitcoin, my question was, "do you think Morgan Stanley are fools?" I wonder why you are not answering this ????

You said only fools buy this, which is a strange thing to say, just because you don't understand it. 

You obviously have an irrational hatred for crypto, as if GS, NY Mellon, etc would invest millions into a ponzi, jeez. 

16 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Canadian banks are rock solid and weather financial storms better than most. 

I met a 97 year old woman who claimed she made a lot of money in the stock market and ONLY invested in bank stocks.

Not saying it's valid investment advice. But just sharing anyway. 

Edited by save the frogs
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I never said you should buy bitcoin, my question was, "do you think Morgan Stanley are fools?" I wonder why you are not answering this ????

You said only fools buy this, which is a strange thing to say, just because you don't understand it. 

You obviously have an irrational hatred for crypto, as if GS, NY Mellon, etc would invest millions into a ponzi, jeez. 

I worked in silicon valley during the dotcom bubble. It was the same. Companies that were making no money with stock market valuations through the roof. The hype was that they didn't need to make money, and it all depended on the number of eyeballs they attracted. At the time I couldn't believe it lasted as long as it did. Just like I can't believe crypto has lasted this long .

Silicon valley was interesting. Everybody was a (multi) millionaire on paper. The engineers all thought it would go on forever. The secretaries were the smart ones. They were the ones who cashed out early and took their million. The engineers held out until the end and ended up with little. One engineer thought he was clever, took out a mortgage on his house so he could buy his options. He needed to hold them a year to get taxed at long term capital gains rate. During that year the crash happened and he lost his house. Pretty funny if you ask me.

In the dotcom bubble, Morgan Stanley, or it's equivalents at the time, were all hyping dotcom. Were they wrong? Yes, they were, just like the ones buying crypto now are wrong. Their profits come from transactions. The more suckers they get to do transactions, the more money they make.

Edited by gargamon