Visa Exempt to Non O Retirement but only staying 4 Months

Australian passport entry in May this year. I intend to arrive on a visa Exempt and convert to Non O Retirement just for the ease of coming and going but once in Thailand I'm not forced to leave every so often. It is the better visa for me as I've done so many neighbouring country trips and I am no longer really interested in doing anymore.

So I have already booked a 4 Month stay in Thailand, sometimes I stay longer but this time it's 4 Months. My questions are, if I convert my visa exempt to a non o, lets say 15 days after I arrive, how and when does the 12 Month part start? My goal is to be in Thailand each year to renew the 12 Month extension, i.e. not letting it lapse and just renew each year. What Month will this example need to be renewed each year?

Second question is that I thought of getting a non o from Sydney Consulate but it states I need some longstay health insurance from a Thai company, link here: https://longstay.tgia.org/ but when I try to book a 4 month stay those Thai companies only offer insurance for 12 Month stays and some of them want nearly 100K for such an insurance policy, it seems way over the top for what I need for 4 Months.

I am just trying to find the simplest and cheapest way through all this and get a yearly retirement visa, what's the best way forward. Thanks for any help.

2 minutes ago, bmanly said:

What Month will this example need to be renewed each year?

You're looking at around 16 months later as I understand it (initial 30 days, then 90 days for Non-O, then your 12 month extension) so around September for renewals.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So enter May.

30 day permit stamp.

You require 15 days remaining on your permit to apply for non O retirement.

To apply you require 800k in Thai bank account in your name only on day of application.

That stamp provides a 90 day permit.

In the last 30 days of that permit you will apply for a 12 month extension with the 800k having been in bank for 2 months prior to application.

Those funds are maintained at 800k for 3 months after extention granted then not below 400k after that and back up to 800k 2 months prior to next extension.

Wash and repeat. 

You need to show funds came from abroad for non O application. 

You need to open bank account..

Your first extension expiry date becomes a fixed date and remains unchanged.

In your case roughly 30 day entry stamp + 90 day non O stamp then approx 12 months from then .

So maybe august of each year for extension.

That sounds like a good plan and one that I will most likely follow. How do I go at the airport when I check in as I will have a 4 Month return ticket. Should I buy a one way ticket a to say Cambodia showing that I will be leaving within the 30 days thus looking like no complications for the airline and Thai immigration on arrival if checked? Thank you for your time and reply, much appreciated.

Edited by bmanly

1 minute ago, lanng khao said:

No UK,, sorry didn't know it was different rules in aus...

Yeah, insurance required from Oz. Just think, if the rules where the same world-wide and embassy websites where actually up-to-date and accurate ... where would the fun in that be 555

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You could also consider non O obtained from Canberra or Sydney. 

Both Canberra and Sydney require health insurance called a longstay from a Thai company. That insurance I must buy for a year and it's something I don't need as I have regular travel insurance from Australia. The Thai insurance is very expensive, like about 100K a year one quoted. I want to avoid this at all costs. This is why I am only considering the visa exempt/conversion option. Here is what it says.

A certificate of health insurance issued by Thai insurance companies covering the entire period of stay in Thailand containing the detail of coverage as follows; In-house patients of not less than THB 400,000/policy year, as for out-patients, not less than THB 40,000/policy year. More information can be found on https://longstay.tgia.org/

- A photo of the medical insurance policy (in English) which expressly covers treatment and medical expenses in relation to COVID-19, with minimum coverage of 100,000 USD. The insurance must cover the total duration of stay in Thailand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, K2938 said:

I assume you will not have a long-term rental contract if you only stay in Thailand for four months.  This could be a problem for the Non-O extension at least for some immigration offices

I stay in the same serviced apartment year after year with receipts. They do everything correctly including submitting details of arrival for TM 30 card.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmanly said:

That insurance I must buy for a year and it's something I don't need....

Think you will find the insurance needs to cover 90 days.

Anyway skip it as seems you intend to obtain the non O in Thailand.

Do you already have a Thai bank account in your name only?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Think you will find the insurance needs to cover 90 days.

Anyway skip it as seems you intend to obtain the non O in Thailand.

Do you already have a Thai bank account in your name only?

Yes I do with Bangkok Bank.

Just now, bmanly said:

Yes I do with Bangkok Bank.

Excellent your good to go. 

The non O is doable with visa exempt entry 30days and you will not need to obtain a 30 day extension. 

Apply with 15+ days remaining on your permit. 

Which immigration office? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Excellent your good to go. 

The non O is doable with visa exempt entry 30days and you will not need to obtain a 30 day extension. 

Apply with 15+ days remaining on your permit. 

Which immigration office? 

Jomtien

3 minutes ago, bmanly said:

Jomtien

I was hoping you wouldn't say Jomtien.

Here is a current thread where fella had issues with Jomtien as they wanted 2 months of funds in the bank for the non O application.

His is based on marriage so was able to obtain 60 day extension to visit wife so for him the extra time they required wasn't an issue. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I was hoping you wouldn't say Jomtien.

Thanks mate, I have time to load my account (although the exchange rate is terrible right now). Or maybe do the way suggested in that thread. Much appreciated for all your help.

5 hours ago, bmanly said:

I stay in the same serviced apartment year after year with receipts. They do everything correctly including submitting details of arrival for TM 30 card.

The point is not the filing of the TM30, but having a LONG-TERM rental contract (like 12 months) for getting the Non-O extension which I assume you will not have.  The precise policy of Jomtien I do not know, but other immigration offices require this as a mandatory condition for getting a 1 year extension

Edited by K2938
  • Like 1

A alternative: use a agent and avoid all kind of problems.

When you have the required money in the bank / pension letter from embassy, you actually use a agent legally, just to smooth expedite your application.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K2938 said:

The point is not the filing of the TM30, but having a LONG-TERM rental contract (like 12 months) for getting the Non-O extension which I assume you will not have.  The precise policy of Jomtien I do not know, but other immigration offices require this as a mandatory condition

My lease was not required at CW.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K2938 said:

The point is not the filing of the TM30, but having a LONG-TERM rental contract (like 12 months) for getting the Non-O extension which I assume you will not have.  The precise policy of Jomtien I do not know, but other immigration offices require this as a mandatory condition for getting a 1 year extension

I don't know about this but I will say that 2 of my friends live in apartments in Pattaya (not in the same building as mine) and they both managed to get the retirement visa without long term contracts. I mean I know the owners of mine could write one up for me, doesn't mean I won't move in a couple of months though.

1 hour ago, Shop mak said:

A alternative: use a agent and avoid all kind of problems.

When you have the required money in the bank / pension letter from embassy, you actually use a agent legally, just to smooth expedite your application.

I have 2 very good recommendations for very well connected reliable long term agents that have doing this in Pattaya for 30 years already. I might do it too if things get too complicated. Apparently when this agency goes to Jomtien they carry dozens of applications and passports at a time doing everything including 90 day reporting for those that can not do it for themselves, it is all legal too.

1 minute ago, CanadaSam said:

Why is everybody mentioning 30 days on arrival?

I thought it was 45 days visa exempt?

Then a 30 day extension easily obtained?

45 days ONLY lasts till end of march, than goes back to 30 UNLESS they extend it

OP states travel in May

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

OP - Just an FYI but keep your boarding pass til you're through Thai immigration at the airport. There are reports that people get asked for it.

Folk are always asked for boarding pass at immigration control.

Has been the case forever.

The fact that many people  can't produce them due to whatever reason is overlooked by io.