How to use Thai bank account from overseas? OTP necessary with thai number :S

Im going to be going out of Thailand for a year or so but will be needing to use my Thai bank for business tramsfers operating over here. The bank I am using is SCB, I asked them and they said I can only receive OTP verification (the code you get on your phone when making transactions) with a Thai number, and cant receive this through email. Im sure there is a way around this anyone know any ideas? I was thinking to change my number to a friend before I go but dont really want to have to do that, anyway I can keep it in my control alone and still operate from overseas?

https://www.tossabledigits.com/memberlogin/?f=logout

I have been using this company for five years

Get New Phone Numbers That Ring On Your Existing Phone

Phone and Shopping Cart 

Add one or more Virtual Numbers to any phone. Use them for anything: sales, ad tracking, work, real estate.

World with Radio Tower Broadcasting 

Find Virtual Numbers locally or in 60+ other countries. Receive calls on any phone in almost every country.

Phone with Lock Icon Locked 

No Contracts! Use our Virtual Numbers for 2 minutes or 10 years. Cancel anytime, no questions asked.

Edited by kiteman9
because

10 minutes ago, kiteman9 said:

https://www.tossabledigits.com/memberlogin/?f=logout

I have been using this company for five years Every Virtual Number Includes Every Feature

Explore All of Our Features

Interesting service but, IMO, not a realistic option for the issue at hand. Why would he want to spend $8-12 per month when he has a perfectly good Thai number already?

treetop has already given him the answer.

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 2

Ask your bank if they have a 'dongle' that give a new OTP every minute. That what I use from a bank in my country of origin. Thai banks maybe don't have that.

Roaming fee for 1 year will be very expensive.

See example UK

890 - 3,490 baht. 15-20 days.

Another problem OTP only valid for 5 minute. SMS can take much longer time overseas.

Hope you can find other better options in app, (just did a quick search)

From ais app:

Screenshot_20230111-202650_myAIS.jpg

Screenshot_20230111-202750_myAIS.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

That's data roaming.  That is not needed to receive SMS's.  They cost nothing to receive.

My thai number don't connect, can't receive anything in neighboring countries (airport excluded) without roaming activated.

Only on arrival in airport area abroad, do I get a sms from ais if I want to sign up for roaming (postpaid). As soon I leave airport building, no signal, can't receive anything.

Roaming must be activated to receive sms.

I made a quick search for roaming fees in ais app,

1 is voice and sms.

2 is data.

Op can call his callcenter.

Should also have mentioned that SCB does allow the set up of a second Thai number on the App, and you can elect which is used. I don't know if this is unique but certainly Kasikorn won't allow a second phone #. I once had the dire situation of a Thai SIM that albeit in validity etc simple failed while in the UK - then you are stranded as far as your OTP's are concerned. Since then Ive always had a backup 2nd Thai SIM.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Never had an issue. I try to do deny location permission to the apps.

When i leave Thailand i apparatus keep 1000 baht credit on my phone.

On occasion they require sms authorisation. I just turn on the thai sim.

Using ais the sms always comes through.

That's using scb and kasikorn.

Bkk app i didn't use for a long time and can't remember. Because bkk bank sucks.

• Thumbs Up 1

You don't need OTP to make transfers.

You only need it once when you install the app on your phone.

Just returned from a trip abroad where I used my Thai banking apps to pay rent, bills etc. No OTP, no roaming and no issues. I have no idea why so many people are posting about sms, roaming etc. You don't need it.

Edited by Robbkk
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for these posts, a lot of good advice here.

I use Dtac, so will contact them about roaming to ensure, its a prepaid sim that I have been using for years and just top up when necessary.

If I can add a second thai number on the SCB app (will check after this post) would be helpful incase things go wrong with the dtac sim I take back to Austalia, I know that dtac validity can is max 180 days, hopefully I can extend again in 6 months if I keep some credit in there. All good questions to ask the dtac office.

Definitely do need the OTP, I just did a transfer yesterday and was sent it, went into the SCB bank and asked if there is anyway I can remove OTP verification or have it emailed and was told that its not possible.

• Like 1

Contact your carriers call center, and tell them you want international roaming, but that you don't want data roaming.  For many carriers, international roaming is off by default. 

I have no issues receiving an SMS when outside of Thailand with DTAC. Incoming SMS's are free. Data roaming is not free and I always leave it off. Most of the features of your phone package (along with paying your bill) can be done with the app when you're outside the countries.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wisemonkey said:

Thanks for these posts, a lot of good advice here.

I use Dtac, so will contact them about roaming to ensure, its a prepaid sim that I have been using for years and just top up when necessary.

If I can add a second thai number on the SCB app (will check after this post) would be helpful incase things go wrong with the dtac sim I take back to Austalia, I know that dtac validity can is max 180 days, hopefully I can extend again in 6 months if I keep some credit in there. All good questions to ask the dtac office.

Definitely do need the OTP, I just did a transfer yesterday and was sent it, went into the SCB bank and asked if there is anyway I can remove OTP verification or have it emailed and was told that its not possible.

Different banks - different polices/services.

Until I became aware of the OTP service I described just above, I set up my transaction on my K bank screen, called K Bank (special number, which I got from K BaAnk call centre) from Australia and asked for an OTP BY e.mail. 

Within 1 minute e.mail arrived with OTP, worked well.

But of course had to pay for the call from Australia to K Bank Thailand to request the OTP by e.mail - not cheap.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Regyai said:

Should also have mentioned that SCB does allow the set up of a second Thai number on the App, and you can elect which is used. I don't know if this is unique but certainly Kasikorn won't allow a second phone #. I once had the dire situation of a Thai SIM that albeit in validity etc simple failed while in the UK - then you are stranded as far as your OTP's are concerned. Since then Ive always had a backup 2nd Thai SIM.

Ive been searching the SCB app but can not find anywhere that allows to add a second number, any pointers as to where you can find this in the app?

12 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Bank app and thai phone number are connected.

Without phone signal, bank app doesn't work.

Wrong. As I previously mentioned, you can connect via the internet. You don't even need to have a SIM card to do that, just a Wi-Fi connection. I know, I've done it.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Regyai said:

In my opinion, it is not easy to change to one of the 2 numbers when you have 2 numbers to get OTP at SCB.

When I log in at SCB and go to 'settings' I don't get the option to disable any of the 2 numbers, i think it is only possible through their information line.

36 minutes ago, Tubulat said:

In my opinion, it is not easy to change to one of the 2 numbers when you have 2 numbers to get OTP at SCB.

When I log in at SCB and go to 'settings' I don't get the option to disable any of the 2 numbers, i think it is only possible through their information line.

I still cant find where to enter another number. But seems like you have it working, just a question, when you get sent an OTP with this setup of 2 numbers, does it only send the OTP to one number or both? 

7 minutes ago, wisemonkey said:

I still cant find where to enter another number. But seems like you have it working, just a question, when you get sent an OTP with this setup of 2 numbers, does it only send the OTP to one number or both? 

That's the problem I have, one of the 2 numbers is from my gf, if I do a transaction, now every time the number of my gf get the OTP, and have to ask her the OTP.

Before there was only my number and there was no problem.....

• Haha 1