Bank closing my account as I have no UK address, where to send my savings?

39 minutes ago, Dah fahrang said:

Eff1n2ret, you are slightly mistaken about their requirement for setting up linked accounts for withdrawals. Their requirement is that ANY linked payee account can ONLY be in the same name(s) as those of the account holders with Skipton. We have set up a link to our joint account here with Kasikorn with no problem, and have just recently set up another payee account with Lloyds International in the Isle of Man - our thinking being we can withdraw interest (or capital) to Thailand should we choose, or keep it rolled over with Skipton, or move it to Lloyds Premier International Current Account for spending!

Thanks for that, I might look into doing the same. Apart from some 1-year bonds I've got a fair amount in their Instant Access account, now paying 1.5%, not magnificent but better than First Direct. It is my "health insurance fund", and I suppose it would save a few days getting it to Thailand rather than channeling it through FD.

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

@BritManToo

Where do you get the London Landline?

I've never need to use these types of services but have seen many people recommend Skype as @BritManToo mentions. 

Stumbled over another option yesterday that may be worth looking into:

https://www.tossabledigits.com

Never heard of them (not surprising as I've never looked into these types of services) but a guy recommended them in this forum thread so had a quick look out of curiosity. Not sure if London is an option but there are various UK cities listed (I just scanned through a couple of countries, wasn't looking for a specific city).

41 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Thanks for that, I might look into doing the same. Apart from some 1-year bonds I've got a fair amount in their Instant Access account, now paying 1.5%, not magnificent but better than First Direct. It is my "health insurance fund", and I suppose it would save a few days getting it to Thailand rather than channeling it through FD.

FD recently advertised a Bonus Savings account offering 2.6% for existing account holders. Up to GBP20K, instant access, with loss of interest for any month a withdrawal is made.

58 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

Bank of India UK and the Union Bank of India UK. There will be other obscure possibilities too, but they should work. The former even has four branches across the UK. 

BOI UK appears to be aimed at Indian commercial services for Indians, their website makes no mention of the facilities Thaivisa posters need, i.e. retail banking services.

UBOI requires the following...

To open saving bank account through Online following are the pre-requisites.  
1. Aadhaar card  
2. Mobile linked to Aadhaar for OTP  
3. PAN card  
4. Recent scanned image of photograph-Size between 20 KB - 50 KB  
5. Scanned image of address proof-Size between 20 KB - 100 KB  
6. Scanned image of Identity proof-Size between 20 KB - 100 KB  
7. Signature scanned-Size between 20 KB - 50 KB  

8. Mobile to be carried in person to branch for OTP verification while account opening.

I'm sure most members here would have no problems there!

• Haha 1

I am having major script error problems with my mobile keyboard so I can't respond to your sarcastic response with a neat response. But are you sure you are not confusing the requirements for opening at the Union Bank of India with the Union Bank of India UK? I could find none if those absurd requirements you mentioned. Protip: don't be sarcastic to somebody who has provided you with the answer you've sought on this entire thread. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Stocky said:

It's Standard Chartered Bank which is a multinational bank headquartered in the UK. It was created as the result of the merger between two British colonial banks, Chartered Bank of India, Australia and China and Standard Bank of South Africa, way back in the 60s.

https://www.sc.com/en/banking/banking-for-individuals/international-banking/

He is referring to Standard Bank Isle Of Man and, yes, they are a South African Bank.

In my experience, Standard Bank were the easiest to deal with when trying to set up a UK Offshore Account.

https://international.standardbank.com/international/personal

It should also be noted that funds held in UK offshore banks are NOT covered by the UK's Financial Services Compensation Scheme so your cash will not have the same standard of protection it would get if you saved with a bank or building society based in the UK.

The Isle of Man for example has their own Depositors Compensation Scheme which is limited to £50,000 per individual depositor.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kaptain Asia said:

He is referring to Standard Bank Isle Of Man and, yes, they are a South African Bank.

Thanks. I hadn't realised Standard Chartered had divested itself of Standard Bank, reading up I see they sold their remaining stake in Standard Bank Group in 1987.

On 1/12/2023 at 9:17 AM, KannikaP said:

Change the address on your UK account to a UK one.

I have a Nationwide account with a Thai address no problem

Or open a Wise account

I have a  Nationwide account too, using a U.K. address for now,... do you know if they will post  the Debit card  to Thailand once it expires   if i change it to  Thai address ?

Just now, actonion said:

I have a  Nationwide account too, using a U.K. address for now,... do you know if they will post  the Debit card  to Thailand once it expires   if i change it to  Thai address ?

They sent me a debit card and a card reader to my Thai address. Took three weeks to get here.

On 1/12/2023 at 9:28 AM, BritManToo said:

Option - buy a UK mailing address (ukpostbox.com)

That can work but not straightforward and will depend on the bank. I started with Ukpostbox about 10 years ago and put that as my address on bank account. Ok for about 3 years and then one day got an email to go to the branch. I said I was out of the country and it would be a few months. That wasn't a problem and went along when I was next back.

The manager said they had detected my address was a postbox and that wasn't allowed as they had to have a recognised residential address. I explained the situation and pointed out the post in Thailand was unreliable. He accepted the situation and as I had my pension paid in would keep the account open as long as that continued. He took a note of my Thai address and bank account and all been ok since.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mancub said:

FD recently advertised a Bonus Savings account offering 2.6% for existing account holders. Up to GBP20K, instant access, with loss of interest for any month a withdrawal is made.

Whatever - the fact is that if you're not a UK resident they won't let you open it, even if you are an existing account holder. It's not unlike the scheme that they wouldn't let me roll over a few years back.

Things may be different in the UK, but in the USA the days of using a mail drop to establish a Residential address are long gone.

The tech caught up with this and anyone can tell if it's Business or Residential.

One of the major delivery services (perhaps all) have a simple free way to check on their website(s) on a page for arranging a delivery.

It notifies which the address is simply by typing it in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

Whatever - the fact is that if you're not a UK resident they won't let you open it, even if you are an existing account holder. It's not unlike the scheme that they wouldn't let me roll over a few years back.

Not true in my case . I have and am not UK resident. For telephone banking FD gave me a "customer no" rather than a postcode. 

2 hours ago, mancub said:

Not true in my case . I have and am not UK resident. For telephone banking FD gave me a "customer no" rather than a postcode. 

Quite, the statement you replied to wasn't right.

First Direct is a division of HSBC who also offer the Bonus Savings account. When I tried to  do it online I got a message saying I had to verify I was a UK taxpayer.

Not sure what they would want for that so will do it at the branch when I go back in April.

26 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Quite, the statement you replied to wasn't right.

First Direct is a division of HSBC who also offer the Bonus Savings account. When I tried to  do it online I got a message saying I had to verify I was a UK taxpayer.

Not sure what they would want for that so will do it at the branch when I go back in April.

Indeed so, as have just received a letter from them to affirm my tax status. The account already being open and active. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 7:30 PM, neveragain said:

Many thanks to you all for your suggestions, my account was already offshore (Barclays Guernsey) The amount of savings I have is not quite enough for other offshore banks, I have explored Wise but it seems geared for the sending of money rather than savings. I shall look into your other suggestions, again many thanks for taking the time to reply.

So you do not have sufficient funds for Coutts Private Bankers?

On 2/3/2023 at 8:49 AM, The Old Bull said:

I have a Nat West account with a Canadian address , no problems yet.

Eventually I paid myself with a cheque for both Nationwide and NatWest leaving 50 quid in each and they will just sit there for eternity. Luckily I had some old cheques left for each.

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2023 at 8:50 PM, Kaptain Asia said:

The Isle of Man for example has their own Depositors Compensation Scheme which is limited to £50,000 per individual depositor.

As does Jersey.

4 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

prince harry has no address how does he get on ??

been kicked out of buck house along with his trollop

You do realise the true meaning don't you?

You could possibly getting her mixed up with some of the women you associate with----

(What is the literal meaning of trollop?

: a vulgar or disreputable woman. especially : one who engages in sex promiscuously or for money).

• Confused 1