New shingles vaccine Skyzoster available in Thailand

Arkady

3 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Get a vaccine if you can! I am 70 and fit but have shingles on my left chest and back right now; excruciatingly painful and worst at night when you are trying to sleep. Been using ibuprofen, paracetamol and gabapentin + anti-virals to dampen down the pain. The 2 latter drugs dampened down the internal pain to bearable almost immediately but now the rash is dry and healing it is mostly surface pain. Anti-virals and gababentin now now finished. Not sure if I need to get some stronger painkillers because the pain relief with para. and ibu. doesnt seem to be as effective now.

A topical lidocaine spray, if you can get it, is helpful at this stage

There is something on lazada

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/vasocaine-topical-anesthetic-spray-i2861283334.html

Or you can try to find Oxacain topical spray at a pharmacy

• Thanks 1

For the Brits with money to spare…

Shingrix is available from Boots in the UK. Not cheap, GBP225 per shot (x2), but I think most people with experience of shingles will say it’s worth every penny. 

https://www.boots.com/online/pharmacy-services/shingles-vaccination-service

Not available free on the NHS until 70 years old. 

2 hours ago, Lazy Sod said:

For the Brits with money to spare…

Shingrix is available from Boots in the UK. Not cheap, GBP225 per shot (x2), but I think most people with experience of shingles will say it’s worth every penny. 

https://www.boots.com/online/pharmacy-services/shingles-vaccination-service

Not available free on the NHS until 70 years old. 

Only available on the NHS for 70-79 year olds. So 50-69 year olds and over 80s have to pay the 450 quid for themselves. I guess they think at 80+ it's not worth bothering with patients as they are going to die soon anyway. At least that's what my mother used to say about the NHS treatment she got in her 80s and 90s. Partly an excuse to avoid going to see the doctor and partly true I suspect.  Anyway lucky that the NHS provides Shingrix at all.  It has been progessively gutted since I left the UK when it was still possible to see an NHS doctor without an appointment as a walk-in patient and get elective surgery in less than two years.

29 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Only available on the NHS for 70-79 year olds. So 50-69 year olds and over 80s have to pay the 450 quid for themselves. I guess they think at 80+ it's not worth bothering with patients as they are going to die soon anyway. At least that's what my mother used to say about the NHS treatment she got in her 80s and 90s. Partly an excuse to avoid going to see the doctor and partly true I suspect.  Anyway lucky that the NHS provides Shingrix at all.  It has been progessively gutted since I left the UK when it was still possible to see an NHS doctor without an appointment as a walk-in patient and get elective surgery in less than two years.

Agreed. The US government recommends everyone over 50 gets the Shinglix vaccine. 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/hcp/shingrix/recommendations.html

'I know how painful and exhausting it can be!' Eamonn Holmes discusses his 'brutal' experience with shingles and shares shock image of his swollen face

By OWEN TONKS FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 23:59, 1 March 2022 | UPDATED: 00:

I had a terrible case last year, entire left torso and neck, lasted 5 weeks, spent mostly in bed.
acyclovir 800 mg, the itches continued 6 months and can sometimes still feel them.
shingrix in my homecountry is 150 USD x 2 but not always available, also not reimbursed by social security.

I was able to get the two doses of Shingrix in the US last year.  The shots were expensive, but available to anyone making an appointment at the local drug store, in this case a Walgreen's.  The pharmacist explained the shots could be between 2 to 6 months apart.  Due to travel, mine ended up being about 5 months apart.  The side effects were a bit heavy but I'm assured much more tolerable than shingles.

1 hour ago, Misty said:

I was able to get the two doses of Shingrix in the US last year.  The shots were expensive, but available to anyone making an appointment at the local drug store, in this case a Walgreen's.  The pharmacist explained the shots could be between 2 to 6 months apart.  Due to travel, mine ended up being about 5 months apart.  The side effects were a bit heavy but I'm assured much more tolerable than shingles.

It is the 2 - 6 month interval that is the barrier for me. I could do 6 werks and I could fo 11-12 months but 2-6 is impossible.  I only go back once a year.

• Like 1

I hada similar concern but there’s a Q&A on one of the Singrix websites, Boots I think, asking what to do if the gap is longer than 6 months, it says just get the 2nd shot when you can. It also says there is no need to “start again” with another 1st shot. 

On 1/19/2023 at 1:48 PM, Lazy Sod said:

I had a similar concern but there’s a Q&A on one of the Singrix websites, Boots I think, asking what to do if the gap is longer than 6 months, it says just get the 2nd shot when you can. It also says there is no need to “start again” with another 1st shot. 

from CDC

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingles/hcp/shingrix/administering-vaccine.html

"If more than 6 months have elapsed since the first dose of Shingrix, you should administer the second dose as soon as possible. However, you do not need to restart the vaccine series"

• 3 months later...

did anybody had the Sky Zoster vaccine if so what are the side effects.

Had shingles 4 years ago, gabepentin helped with the pain and things/pain/numbness have been tolerated for the past 4 years but the past week has been unbearable, burning feeling, pain all difficult to tolerate, at 70 years old need to find a solution to the come and goes pain/burning. Visited Wattanappat Hospital Trang they never heard about Shingrix and or Zostavax but they proposed me the Sky Zoster for 5,560 Baht not including doctors fees, I am thinking about taking it  to alleviate the pain, any suggestions/advise welcome, thanks

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

did anybody had the Sky Zoster vaccine if so what are the side effects.

Had shingles 4 years ago, gabepentin helped with the pain and things/pain/numbness have been tolerated for the past 4 years but the past week has been unbearable, burning feeling, pain all difficult to tolerate, at 70 years old need to find a solution to the come and goes pain/burning. Visited Wattanappat Hospital Trang they never heard about Shingrix and or Zostavax but they proposed me the Sky Zoster for 5,560 Baht not including doctors fees, I am thinking about taking it  to alleviate the pain, any suggestions/advise welcome, thanks

None of the shigles vaccines treat infection or  infection complications (e.g. post-herpetic neuralgia which sounds like what you have).

The most it can do is prevent new jnfection. 

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

None of the shigles vaccines treat infection or  infection complications (e.g. post-herpetic neuralgia which sounds like what you have).

The most it can do is prevent new jnfection. 

thanks appreciate the feed back..... but doctors advised that vaccine may reduce post infection pain related discomfort taken with gabapentin, I do know that it will not treat infection, I just need help tolerating the excruciating burning sensation that comes and goes without any warning

fyi, I just came back from a trip to the U.S.

While there, I popped into a CVS pharmacy outlet to ask if they had the Shingrix vaccine available for walk-in vaccinations. And they did...

However, the price the pharmacist there quoted me was $220 per shot for a two-dose regimen, with a wait of 2-6 months until the second shot. Meaning the total price would have been about $440....

Though I see another part of CVS is offering the shingrix shots for $179 per, again, for those without any U.S. health insurance coverage.

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/services/price-lists?icid=mc_services_pricelist_ip

I might have done the shot, except, I don't expect to be back in the U.S. again in the next 2-6 months, so getting the second shot in the recommended timeframe might have proved to be problematic.

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/services/shingles-vaccine

• Thanks 1