OA visa two years

Each time you leave and re-enter Thailand in the first year of the visa, you are stamped in for one year.

By leaving the country (and then re-entering) a couple of days prior to the expiration of the visa (the end of the first year), you'd be stamped in with permission to stay for the second year.  

Edited by TheAppletons
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bunta71 said:

Care to expound how that works?

Let’s say an OA Visa is issued on Jan 2 2023 with an enter by Date of Jan 1 2024.  So if one exits the country on Dec 30, 2023 and returns on Dec 31, 2023 then one should get stamped in until the end of the Health Insurance expiry date.  If one’s insurance expires on Jan 2, 2024 then the new stamp should indicated Dec 30, 2023.  

This is the general concept and the I could be off by a day or two.  The new wrinkle is the actual dates of the OA Visa Health Insurance.

I recently went to Singapore a few weeks before the end of my first year on a new OA and got stamped in for 364 days later. .  In essence I got a second year on the OA.

I could have taken my Border Bounce closer to my Enter By Date but did not want to take a chance on flight cancellations or delay.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

44 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How much did 12 months of insurance cost? 

Depends on age and health history but I am under 60 and for Non OA Visa Health Insurance with Pacific Cross it was for 62,000 Baht for 2023. I expect it will be much more next year. 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

I guess that isn't huge bucks but clearly the non O-A has lost its appeal especially for those that then move to extensions from a non O-A. 

True but the OA still has one advantage:  No need to put a lot of money into a Thai Bank Account.  Also, getting almost two years out it is attractive.  If the OA Visa Health Insurance creeps to 100K then my days in the LOS will be over. 

16 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Depends on age and health history but I am under 60 and for Non OA Visa Health Insurance with Pacific Cross it was for 62,000 Baht for 2023. I expect it will be much more next year. 

???? i'll stick with my Non O and 1 year extension for 1,900 and no insurance!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

For your age, LMG will issue an OA health policy for 14,500 baht. But with a one million baht deductible, it's basically only a catastrophic type coverage. But, it does meet the OA insurance requirement.

https://www.lmginsurance.co.th/en/long-stay-visa-plus-premium-plan-100000-usd

I thought about it but just in case I might actually need the coverage I stayed with Pacific Cross.  Of course there is no guarantee any insurance company will actually pay on a claim.  This is the nature of insurance. 

I succeeded in this it late November 2022 by entering Thiland at BKK airport very close to the O-A eVisa enter by date. Having purchased another 1 year policy to show the IO. 

The 2022 and 2023 policies overlap by 16 hours so there was no break in "coverage"

IO examined both policy papers then stamped me for 1 year. Subsequently I applied for a multi reentry permit.

4 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

but just in case I might actually need the coverage I stayed with Pacific Cross

Understood. In my case, I have solid coverage with my Tricare policy, which is not acceptable for OA purposes. Thus, I'm stuck with the throwaway LMG policy. When the LTR visa folks get a branch office up here in Chiang Mai, I'll go that route and say goodbye to the OA insurance scam.