Saturday Night Fever in Pattaya - What a disappointment

Mickeymaus

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Always stressfull not knowing if getting to airport before flight closed, despite giving it an extra 2 hours to get there.

Always went the day before and stayed in a hotel nearby.

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've not found that,

The gay guys I've encountered here are all vegans/meditation/yoga fanatics.

IMO the new age thing is not necessarily gay.

There are a lot of much older gays around like in their 60’s or even 70’s that are unkept and don’t dress well. They also appear to be non-affluent or skint, though you never really know for sure, it’s just how they present.

Most of them like Thai guys though, not other foreigners. If you go to (boyz town??) in Jomtein you can see them sitting outside near that condo complex next door and also on the outside chairs on that bar st. It’s on that first road as you approach dongtan beach.

they have a certain look that’s hard to describe and I don’t think they venture far from that area often.

Edited by JimTripper

16 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Usually you are grandfathered in if you insure early. Did they cut you off at a certain age? Would be helpful to know to plan my future. Also, it's not required for the O is it?

Also, it's not required for the O is it?

IMO only $ millionaires can afford to not be insured in Thailand. A mere broken bone in my hand cost me 50,000 baht in hospital, the cost of a heart attack, a stroke or a severe accident would be incredible.

I was insured with a Thai company at 60,000 baht a year, to continue the cost would have risen substantially, so I let it lapse and used travel insurance instead. Even if I could afford to use the Thai insurance I am too old to be accepted now.

When I left I had the 800,000 baht that I changed to home country money, but as the pension isn't enough on it's own, that is long gone.

I could go back to LOS for a short holiday, but that would lead me to suffer financially here. Times are going to get harder- rents are going to go up, food is more expensive, Dr cost has risen, dentists are astronomically expensive.

Sadly, the sensible thing to do is to save money now to survive later.

14 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Always went the day before and stayed in a hotel nearby.

I never wanted to miss out on a night at Nana Plaza, though I started to go in morning ( for afternoon flight ) and they had cheap stays for 4 hours. That worked for me.

Reminds me of the time I went to airport and they delayed the flight by several hours, so I took train back to town, stayed in Nana a while, and took a taxi back to airport. Unfortunately, the rain started at 6 pm and back in those days the roads would flood, so I left before any of the shows started. Talk about bad luck!

15 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Are the girls in Go Go's wearing clothes now? Haven't been in like 12-13 yrs. Then, they were neked cept for boots and number.

Must be longer IMO. Purachai stopped the nudity and the shows, and it took many years to get back, though it was never as good as before Thaksin's time as PM.

BTW I hated those boots. They had gone by the time I left Thailand though- back to shoes.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Also, it's not required for the O is it?

IMO only $ millionaires can afford to not be insured in Thailand. A mere broken bone in my hand cost me 50,000 baht in hospital, the cost of a heart attack, a stroke or a severe accident would be incredible.

I was insured with a Thai company at 60,000 baht a year, to continue the cost would have risen substantially, so I let it lapse and used travel insurance instead. Even if I could afford to use the Thai insurance I am too old to be accepted now.

When I left I had the 800,000 baht that I changed to home country money, but as the pension isn't enough on it's own, that is long gone.

I could go back to LOS for a short holiday, but that would lead me to suffer financially here. Times are going to get harder- rents are going to go up, food is more expensive, Dr cost has risen, dentists are astronomically expensive.

What country are you in that’s cheaper than Thailand? It’s hard to believe you are saving money by leaving.

I could see you leaving elsewhere to have medical insurance or to work, but it’s just a game of chance. Who knows if you will need it or not. Lots of people just pass quickly.

Edited by JimTripper

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've always thought the best thing to do is have fun now, and not worry about later.

No health insurance for me, I had some, they didn't pay out, and they won't get any more money from me.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That's right, tear down all the bars and build something useful on Walking Street, like another 25 convenience stores, a dozen pharmacies, half a dozen burger joints, and the same number of Starbucks outlets... ????????????

That's the issue, what would you put in its place that would prove more popular ?  The only thing I can think of is to turn it into a food destination with perhaps some permanent music entertainment at the open bit at Bali Hai pier. It capitalises on the foot traffic heading to and from Koh Larn all day, at the moment the street is pretty much deserted during daytime hours spending wise.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2023 at 12:32 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

The type of entertainment Pattaya is famous for is losing its popularity

I wouldn't say it's losing its popularity, just the business model that delivers that type of entertainment is losing its popularity. 

Edited by Leaver

On 1/15/2023 at 12:45 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

It is cheaper to find prostitutes online as you don't have to pay a bar fine or buy them drinks 

This is already disrupting the traditional lady drink / bar fine business model, and is sure to grow bigger and bigger in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1