Jomtien: good leather wallet, where to buy?

henrik2000

Hello, i need to buy a decent leather wallet, if possible in Jomtien. Can you recommend a shop?

I am happy to pay good money for good quality, but i think leather wallets are often rip-off-tourist junk.

If you know a good source around Jomtien, please let me know.

If Pattaya is clearly better for that, i'll trek there, but Jomtien would be much more welcome, even if a little more expensive.

Thanks!

Edited by henrik2000

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe have a look if you can find them in Pattaya.

Men Wallets | JACOB

The wallets on the website look good and well-priced.

They don't have a list with retailers, only online markets. But i want to hold the wallet in the hand first, it's one of the things i don't like to buy online.

I messaged them via contact form about local retailers. I am not fully sure the message went through though. I will report back if something interesting happens.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

They don't have a list with retailers, only online markets. But i want to hold the wallet in the hand first, it's one of the things i don't like to buy online.

I messaged them via contact form about local retailers. I am not fully sure the message went through though. I will report back if something interesting happens.

I'm guessing here, but Central or Terminal would be my first stops.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

I saw some wallets from them in Robinson in Bangkok some time ago. Maybe they have such a big retailer in your area. 

By the way, i just stopped by a Findig, the ubiquituous shoes and leather goods retailer also in my Jomtien area.

They do have several wallets, the by far nicest one with smooth leather and quite roomy was 1290, the next down was 790 and considerably less appealing.

I didn't buy yes and will still see if i can get my hands + eyes on a Jacobs.

Yes, i am not far from Pattaya, but have a certain aversion.

Hi, for the record, Jacobs told me 2  retailers in Pattaya (I had explicitly asked for men's wallets near Jomtien). I partly reprint this here without permission, but hope they don't mind. I also hope it is in accord with the forum rules.

We are selling in two locations near Jomtien Beach.  

The closest location to Jomtien is Outlet Mall Pattaya (https://goo.gl/maps/fdrzb1XzYpkTJjVy5) which features both men and women products. We are located on the Ground Floor.  

The second location is in Central Pattaya ((as recommended in post above)) on the 3rd floor Men's fashion section will feature only men's products. (https://goo.gl/maps/q5wXzoSgJMA9Jj5m7)

For some reason to mind come 2  telephone hotline calls that I recently had; both were very helpful, to the point, in clear English, and without smoldering in the queue, with Hops Brewhouse and with AIS.

Edited by henrik2000

Hi all, thanks for recommending Jacob. Now I went to Central department store, 3rd floor, and browsed Jacob first and when I wasn't totally happy with the selection, I checked any other brand for wallets and still ended up with a relatively cheap Jacob. It suits my preferences most. Stupidly I forgot to bring Euro bills for a test fitting, as they are especially large, not in denomination, but in millimeters. The regular priced Jacob wallets have a discount of 30% on them, while the one that I bought had a discounted price on it already. Central also has heavily discounted brand wallets online, but the information counter in the mall told me that that was online only.

Staff was super friendly and very helpful in finding a wallet exactly to my requirements. They spoke useful English, but seemed to love my Thai exercises. Even though I browsed all the brands, the final selection was between two different Jacob wallets.

For once it's a NICE souvenir from Thailand, and not wooden elephant junk or day-glow paintings of nudes on the beach. And when I later see the brand name, I will remember to pronounce it like the sweet shop clerks:

"Djaah gkob" (djaah frog?).

• Like 1

I bought a wallet from a street vendor in 2016 on Walking Street.  He told me how real quality they were.  I still carry it.  It's a great wallet.  Cost me 300 Baht.  About $10.  Has all the bells and whistles, made of horse leather.  Made by Imperial.  Still going strong.  Haven't seen him since I've been back but he wore a cowboy hat, spoke good English, at worked the north end of Walking Street.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Joebuzzz said:

bought a wallet from a street vendor in 2016 on Walking Street.  He told me how real quality they were.  I still carry it.  It's a great wallet.  Cost me 300 Baht. 

Great story. But if I saw wallet at that price and that location, I'd never dare to buy, except you are there to confirm the quality. But I never believe a vendor's tales.

15 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Great story. But if I saw wallet at that price and that location, I'd never dare to buy, except you are there to confirm the quality. But I never believe a vendor's tales.

I was just providing information.  The wallet has performed perfectly for 7 years, which is pretty dang good, and it still is without a flaw.  But, I had spent time at the pub he frequented, and we partied a bit together with the owner.  I did trust him when he told me it was a good wallet.  Apparently, he was believable.