Is Ian Scott Anderson (MBE) Just the Greatest Non-classically-trained Flautist who Ever Lived?

GammaGlobulin

Dear Friends,

And, not only a flautist is he.

Also, I wonder if he ever played with John Mayall.

It has been just over 50 years that we first listened to this incredible album, Aqualung:

And before that, we listened to John Mayall's The Turning Point, with flute included.

The only reason I mention this is that it seems more difficult to find a decent flautist, these days, outside the classical arena.

Regards,

Gamma

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

only flute player in rock music ever. 

some of his music is pure genius.

watched an interview once ... he toured with led zeppelin. ... they would sleep with groupies and do drugs after shows.

he preferred to be alone and quietly read a book. 

Yes. 

I know. 

I love the guy. 

(I just hope he lives a full life, after my post about him, here. I'm not superstitious.) 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

only flute player in rock music ever. 

some of his music is pure genius.

watched an interview once ... he toured with led zeppelin. ... they would sleep with groupies and do drugs after shows.

he preferred to be alone and quietly read a book. 

Not only, ever. Try:

Moody Blues - vocalist/flute player, eg Nights in White Satin.

Genesis when Peter Gabriel sang/played flute

Traffic.

Focus.

But Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull undoubtedly the best-known. Saw them in concert Sydney Australia 1984, New Plymouth, NZ 1994.

Tull's guitarist Martin Barre also played some of the flute on their Stand Up and Benefit albums 

In 2023, flute in current music it'd have to be Lizzo, from pop to Grammy awards to the Library of Congress 

Edited by gomangosteen

Couldn't agree more, The Laird of Skye is a fantastic jestering flute player. Although Peter Gabriel in his Genesis days always managed to capture / change the mood of a song with his haunting flute solos and bridges.

Whereas Sir James Galway, is the master of melancholy and control, as his traditional rendition of Lononderry Air ( Danny Boy) that he always plays at his concerts.

From before some of us were born . . . found this Tull for a television show - mimed in this case, Bouree off their second album Stand Up, where the second flute (Martin Barre) is evident.

Plenty of later versions available online, some with a distinctive jazz feel, but this is the original.

My young lad played the flute. I suggested that, since he went to an international school and did not get the full experience, my Irish mate could hail stones at him as he marched down the street.  To be fair, my Irish mate thought that was a stupid idea, and so did my wife.  I have not test asked if my son feels he has missed out, but he has switched to the saxophone

On 1/21/2023 at 12:12 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

And one might also ask the question:

Has anyone in this world ever before seen a classically-trained man stand on one leg while simultaneously tooting his flute?

He looked like a tosser when he did that, IMO.

The only flautist I was interested in was the one in the American Pie movie who did interesting things with a flute.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:58 PM, ozimoron said:

Rock flautists that I used to listen to.

Gong

outstanding - many happy memories from my youth listening to Gong in my friends room  with a couple of joints.

absolutely years since i listened to Flying Teapot and all.  

Gonna attempt to educate the missis tonight!!

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, nikmar said:

outstanding - many happy memories from my youth listening to Gong in my friends room  with a couple of joints.

absolutely years since i listened to Flying Teapot and all.  

Gonna attempt to educate the missis tonight!!

My brother tried to educate our parents with Camembert Electrique , the Faust Tapes and some Can albums ….. it wasn’t pretty ☹️

• Haha 1