GB and UK

GypsyT

I'm bored here in my hotel room so I though to educate myself on one thing I seem always get wrong;

What is GB?

Wiki;

"Great Britain is the official collective name of of England, Scotland and Wales and their associated islands. It does not include Northern Ireland and therefore should never be used interchangeably with 'UK' – something you see all too often."

Okey - that I understand but UK is a mystery to me too.

by Wiki;

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK) or Britain,[k][14] is a country in Europe, off the north-western coast of the continental mainland.[15] It comprises England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.[16] "

They say it's "a country in Europe". Many Brits don't think they are "in Europe".

If so, do they have national football team? A national flag? I don't think so but I may be wrong.

Edited by GypsyT
miss spell

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

If so, do they have national football team? A national flag? I don't think so but I may be wrong.

The Union Flag comprising of the crosses of St. George, St, Andrew and St. Patrick.

UK National sports' teams compete in the Olympics and similar competitions, although there's always discussions about how to structure a football team as the different governing bodies can never agree, and don't want to dilute the position of their own country in the game at large.

1 hour ago, treetops said:

The Union Flag comprising of the crosses of St. George, St, Andrew and St. Patrick.

UK National sports' teams compete in the Olympics and similar competitions, although there's always discussions about how to structure a football team as the different governing bodies can never agree, and don't want to dilute the position of their own country in the game at large.

...and just to make that more confusing, although the UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, our Olympic team which comprises of athletes from the UK regions is branded as Team GB (although the full name does include Northern Ireland). Logic and common sense should have that as Team UK. 

Edited by Woof999

Wow... not easy to understand.

Growing up in Europe we called all "English". Was easy that way ????

How about the Union Jack flag:

I had British navigator and he took his time to glue his flag so it was "correct way".

Looked same to me!

Does it have "up" and "down" side?

53 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

I had British navigator and he took his time to glue his flag so it was "correct way".

Looked same to me!

Yes, the wider diagonal white stripe is above the red one in the upper quadrant nearest the flagpole.  Flying it upside down is a signal you are in distress, and (hopefully) not noticed except by your fellow countrymen who will come to your aid.

Historically, it was only called the Union Jack only on naval ships, but it's an accepted name for all uses now.

Edited by treetops
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

Wow... not easy to understand.

Growing up in Europe we called all "English". Was easy that way ????

Looked same to me!

The UK is both a sovereign state and country.

Scotland , Wales and England are countries . NI is sometimes regarded as a country , province or region. Scotland , Wales ,England and NI are not sovereign states.

The term country means an area or region.

• Thumbs Up 1