New NonImm-OA health insurance requirement

The old health insurance requirement for NonImm-OA visa and subsequent extensions of permission to stay was 400K inpatient and 40K outpatient coverage.  My understanding is that the new requirement is for 3 million baht.  When I called the insurance company I have my current policy with, they told me the new requirement is only for 3 million baht inpatient coverage, there was no outpatient requirement.

That would make a big difference in premiums for me, at my age.

Can someone here confirm this?  (A link to some official TI statement to this effect would be great too.)  Thanks.

The above reference to the google drive link mentions 400K.

The applicant must be 50 years old or above on the day of visa application submission.

This visa is valid for a max of one year stay in Thailand.

First Year Applicant

The applicant is-invalid required toast have a valid-feedback health insurance policy, either form Thai or from Overseas insurance companies, which the minimum coverage of 100,000 USD accounting for 3 million baht and it includes the treatment of Covid-19. The insurance certificate is strictly required to be presented to the immigration.

For more information about the local health insurance policy for the long stay visa, please visit longstay.tgia.org/companiessoa

In case of non-Thai health insurance policy, the insurance certificate form can be downloaded from here, the form must be signed by the authorized person of the insurance company or public organization.

Renewal (before Sep,1 2022)

The applicant must have the valid local health insurance policy with the minimum of coverage of 400,000 Baht for inpatient treatment and 40,000 Baht for outpatient treatment.

In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the O-A visa, he or she will be considered for a temporary stay under Category "O" visa. A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

The applicant must be 50 years old or above on the day of visa application submission.

First Year Applicant

The applicant is-invalid required toast have a valid-feedback health insurance policy, either form Thai or from Overseas insurance companies, which the minimum coverage of 100,000 USD accounting for 3 million baht and it includes the treatment of Covid-19. The insurance certificate is strictly required to be presented to the immigration.

For more information about the local health insurance policy for the long stay visa, please visit longstay.tgia.org/companiessoa

In case of non-Thai health insurance policy, the insurance certificate form can be downloaded from here, the form must be signed by the authorized person of the insurance company or public organization.

The applicant must have the valid local health insurance policy with the minimum of coverage of 400,000 Baht for inpatient treatment and 40,000 Baht for outpatient treatment.

In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the O-A visa, he or she will be considered for a temporary stay under Category "O" visa. A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence.

Look at this pinned topic starting at number 14.

Laws, regulations, Police Orders, etc

Maybe I copied the wrong link.

What you posted is prior to September of 2022.

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Look at this pinned topic starting at number 14.

Laws, regulations, Police Orders, etc

Maybe I copied the wrong link.

What you posted is prior to September of 2022.

No #14 on the link you posted.  Item #8 states the 400k/40K requirement.  I would never say you copied the wrong link. The document on the link has two pages. The order on the link is dated October 2019.  The 3 Million Baht mandate came into effect after that date.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

Yes, the linked document with police order dated 2019 says 400K/40K.  I thought that changed to 3 million (USD 100,000), even for extensions, as of September 2022, which is what the pinned topic says.   

That's what my insurance company is telling me too.  But they say no outpatient coverage is required, so I just wanted to confirm it.  Maybe they can send me a copy of a later police order.....

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

First Year Applicant

thanks dude. i'm prepping for our annual OA extension, this week. there is info all over the net...but this is exactly what i needed. that 3 million ins. coverage has always bothered me.

49 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Joe, Please be patient - as I know that this topic has been flogged to death. I'm on an OA, since 1999. At the age of 81, I cannot get 3 million of Ins. cover. what options do I have.?  My wife & I have 800k ins coverage.

8 minutes ago, paddypower said:

Joe, Please be patient - as I know that this topic has been flogged to death. I'm on an OA, since 1999. At the age of 81, I cannot get 3 million of Ins. cover. what options do I have.?  My wife & I have 800k ins coverage.

Did you  read the last 2 clauses of  the immigration order?

Another option would  be to leave the country without a re-entry permit or leave the  country just before your extension expires and start all over again by changing to a non-o  visa that does not  require insurance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, paddypower said:

thanks dude. i'm prepping for our annual OA extension, this week. there is info all over the net...but this is exactly what i needed. that 3 million ins. coverage has always bothered me.

No problem.  I recently renewed my OA Visa Health Insurance with Pacific Cross for the 3rd consecutive year.  I got a small discount for no claims.  It was only 62,000.  I can't wait until I pass 60.  The Non O is not an option for me because I am American and the clowns at the US Embassy/Consulate claim " no central database to verify your income"? This was stated at the most recent American Citizens Town Hall in Chiang Mai.  Really, my pension has a specific division that verifies pension amount from external inquiries.  But don't tell that to an American Consular Officer. 

Good luck on your search and depending on your age the premium might be shocking.  

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

No problem.  I recently renewed my OA Visa Health Insurance with Pacific Cross for the 3rd consecutive year.  I got a small discount for no claims.  It was only 62,000.  I can't wait until I pass 60.  The Non O is not an option for me because I am American and the clowns at the US Embassy/Consulate claim " no central database to verify your income"? This was stated at the most recent American Citizens Town Hall in Chiang Mai.  Really, my pension has a specific division that verifies pension amount from external inquiries.  But don't tell that to an American Consular Officer. 

Good luck on your search and depending on your age the premium might be shocking.  

I have the Pacific Cross “Visa Friendly” policy & at 56 my renewal this year was 31,090b (I removed Outpatient cover & have a 200K deductible).

I believe this policy is no longer available to new customers but existing customers can continue to renew. 

23 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

I have the Pacific Cross “Visa Friendly” policy & at 56 my renewal this year was 31,090b (I removed Outpatient cover & have a 200K deductible).

I believe this policy is no longer available to new customers but existing customers can continue to renew. 

200K Deductible?  Wow that is a lot.  Next year I might take on a 100K Deductible because I know there will be a sharp increase in premium.  

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

200K Deductible?  Wow that is a lot.  Next year I might take on a 100K Deductible because I know there will be a sharp increase in premium.  

I’m doubting myself now as the deductible may be 100K but I just checked the email notification & the reduction for taking a deductible is 32.5%.

D93CE7C7-3C9C-41CA-AB5C-4C845AACAEDF.jpeg.41535edac7305a4f85530fd5eddb3e49.jpeg

Thanks. I was mistaken - wife & I have non-O. although off-topic, when you get older, it pays to have a good independent agent, who will check out what options you have for deductibles. and, in the case where AXA declined to renew both our accident ins. policies, due to age, he got me into a decent priced alternative policy.

My insurance states it will only go up 10% if I have claims filed. That of course may change as the company has be bought again. Also they cover everything except any original exclusions like my BP. They have never rejected any payments on any conditions related to any future claim from any previous hospital claims made. I’ve been in the hospital many times over the years with the same issue and never been denied coverage. Maybe that is because I don’t have a deductible. Maybe they do things differently with that type of policy. Just make sure you read the fine print and ask a lot of questions. Better safe than sorry. 

I currently have a OA visa which I have extended for 7 years , I made enquiries through a major thai insurer after the changes October 22 as to the 3 million coverage requirement as the order does not specify anything related to outpatient cover only 3 million + covid and I was informed the company had clarified this through the thai embassy and they stated outpatient cover was a requirement.

I have now purchased 3 million Baht policy with pacific Cross for Inpatient cover only and on the policy document it states 3million cover + covid however the previous declaration stating this complies with all OA visa requirements is missing. Please could anyone in the process of OA visa extensions update this thread with the results many thanks. 

Edited by supermac

19 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I’m doubting myself now as the deductible may be 100K but I just checked the email notification & the reduction for taking a deductible is 32.5%.

D93CE7C7-3C9C-41CA-AB5C-4C845AACAEDF.jpeg.41535edac7305a4f85530fd5eddb3e49.jpeg

Quick update… My deductible (per year not claim) is 100K & for this I get a 32.5% discount.

82F0CE86-93BD-4337-AF49-D71FB5A42A06.thumb.jpeg.6c6c48fd8bdb8fe50bd3c024f44fa806.jpeg

21 hours ago, supermac said:

I currently have a OA visa which I have extended for 7 years , I made enquiries through a major thai insurer after the changes October 22 as to the 3 million coverage requirement as the order does not specify anything related to outpatient cover only 3 million + covid and I was informed the company had clarified this through the thai embassy and they stated outpatient cover was a requirement.

I have now purchased 3 million Baht policy with pacific Cross for Inpatient cover only and on the policy document it states 3million cover + covid however the previous declaration stating this complies with all OA visa requirements is missing. Please could anyone in the process of OA visa extensions update this thread with the results many thanks. 

It was a Pacific Cross agent who told me outpatient coverage was not required under the new rules.  She quoted me some prices, and policies that included outpatient coverage were significantly more costly than policies with just inpatient coverage. 

I'm reluctant to buy just the inpatient because it would be a real pain to arrive at CW and be told the policy didn't comply.  But paying a lot more for coverage not required is also a pain.  Hope someone who has done an extension after 1 September 2022 can share their experience.