Internet banking change.

1 hour ago, Stocky said:

Kasikorn still has K-Bank but it probably won't be long before that closes in favour of the K-Plus app.

There are quite a few things that K-Cyber does that the app doesn't do. Some of them are safety features. I don't doubt you, just sayin'

• Like 1

I am in exactly the same situation. Krung Thai internet banking was just as you say, simple and efficient. The new app is a disaster if you read the reviews. Facial recognition and only via data, no wi-fi connection allowed. I was also going to go to Kasikorn in the next few days. It was either Kasikorn, SCB or Bangkok Bank. Interested to know how you get on. I'll update this in a couple of days if I can open a new account with internet banking. I also have a Government Savings Bank account but you have to be a Thai Citizen to have internet banking.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, recom273 said:

There are quite a few things that K-Cyber does that the app doesn't do. Some of them are safety features. I don't doubt you, just sayin'

I'm only guessing. But you get the feeling stuff is moving more toward the app - the latest being the virtual debit card which you can only obtain via K-Plus. I doubt it's imminent, but it's likely on the cards eventually.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

What the hell?  Just saw this. Why would they close their internet banking?

I don't have a Thai phone either, and I'm out of the country now, so don't know how I'm going to pay my bills after this month.    

Any ideas?

Do you have another account/bank in Thailand with eBanking? You could transfer your money there. I just saw the KTB announcement, and it creates the very same problems for a friend who's abroad and recuperating from a bad accident... You don't necessarily need a "Thai phone" to run banking apps, but the requirement of using a mobile connection (as opposed to a WiFi connection) doesn't bode well if you're abroad - I can sense a brickload of problems flying our way!

Edited by AsiaCheese
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

The Krungthai android app is fine. Been using it for maybe 7 years. I never use anything else. Pay via scan, promptpay, bank to bank, bills via favourites/utilities. It will fetch the amount owed from PEA for instance when due. Use fingerprint to login/verify, but this is optional. Can stay with a 6 digit pin if preferred.

YMMV but that's been my experience.

Maybe you have an older version of the app? If you download the one in the app store you can't do anything on wi-fi, it tells you to switch to mobile data. When you switch to mobile data it goes straight to facial recognition.

• Like 1

Fortunately I have an account with Krungthai that is not internet linked and has an ATM card attached. Given the coming circumstances with KTB, I'll hold my money there, and just have to make provisions to do the essential transfers at the bank once a month.

I don't want to use no 'app'. And I don't like the 'smart phones'. I'll manage, but with some inconvenience.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, tubber said:

Krungthai Next ver 12.11 is the one I have installed on an Android phone.

I have fingerprint scanning enabled. If you go to Settings, Security settings, Biometrics you can disable all biometrics. Or select the ones you want to use, face, finger print or biometric scan.

I can't find any setting to only use data. I suggest going to the nearest branch.

BTW Your link is to the Thai version of Play Store. Try the English one. Reviews are not much to go by. They go back to 2017. And some people just don't know how to review. They give 5 * and then complain it doesn't work.

I found going into my branch and getting help was the answer.

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Why are you downloading from a website, and not a mobile site on your phone?

I don't like using phones and find it easier to do everything on a laptop which is what I am on now. I have downloaded and installed Krung Thai Next app on my phone. I will go in to the bank tomorrow and see what they say.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tubber said:

I don't like using phones and find it easier to do everything on a laptop which is what I am on now. I have downloaded and installed Krung Thai Next app on my phone. I will go in to the bank tomorrow and see what they say.

Can the Krung Thai Next app ve loaded onto my laptop?

I'm using Linus Cinnamon Mint.

5 hours ago, tubber said:

Krung Thai internet banking was just as you say, simple and efficient. The new app is a disaster if you read the reviews. Facial recognition and only via data, no wi-fi connection allowed.

"Facial recognition and only via data, no wi-fi connection allowed".

Huh?  Out of curiosity, I just logged in to "Next" using wifi with my mobile data turned off, using my PIN, not facial recognition.

2 hours ago, tubber said:

Maybe you have an older version of the app? If you download the one in the app store you can't do anything on wi-fi, it tells you to switch to mobile data. When you switch to mobile data it goes straight to facial recognition.

So maybe that is just for setting up the app.  I have the latest "Next" version, it works fine for transactions on wi-fi with the mobile data off.

48 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

@Bradiston reckons it will be difficult; if not impossible, for me to load the Krung Thai Next app onto my laptop. And he is probably right.. But I'll have a go tomorrow.

TBH HP, I think it's a liberty what the banks are up to virtually everywhere. Customers getting blocked etc. But, I have to suck it up. There is no way I'll get a smart phone. I'd rather go and live in a chicken pen.

But on the upside,  the ladies who sort out the individual problems at my local bank, are nice and efficient.

If you have an MS Windows emulator on your Linux installation you could probably install the KTB windows app. But I think you'll just be adding another layer of complexity.

Mobile phones are the way to go! How do you stay in touch when you're away from your laptop? How do you compare prices for instance? Find places? Read messages/emails. Pay anywhere for anything. You can run a VPN. Use a private browser. I have a laptop. It serves only one or two purposes. To run apps like spreadsheets, to login to my UK bank that doesn't have an app, and do my tax return. That's it!

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 1