Internet banking change.

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

Phone. Can't read the screen? Try holding it nearer your face.

Actually, when you're a geezer, you need to hold the phone further away from your face. And past age 70, our arms just aren't that long. But, a business chair on rollers can very nicely accommodate distance to a  brilliant HD monitor.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Actually, when you're a geezer, you need to hold the phone further away from your face. And past age 70, our arms just aren't that long. But, a business chair on rollers can very nicely accommodate distance to a  brilliant HD monitor.

This thread is probably being perused by 100% farang. How the Thais cope will be interesting. Can see long queues at the Krungthai banks. Many older Thais don't have a 'smart-phone', and without the help of a daughter/son or grand daughter/son, will be fretting soon over this.

Must ask the question; 'why are they gonna do it'? Will upset many people. And they could easily lose customers.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pib, seems we're finally regressing when it comes to automated banking. For my wife, it would be a lot easier to periodically visit our bank branch and conduct business with a real person. She could never set this up herself -- and I'm not so sure I could.... I guess it will take long lines of grey hairs at teller counters to get the message across that we're moving too rapidly with automation.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Pib, seems we're finally regressing when it comes to automated banking. For my wife, it would be a lot easier to periodically visit our bank branch and conduct business with a real person. She could never set this up herself -- and I'm not so sure I could.... I guess it will take long lines of grey hairs at teller counters to get the message across that we're moving too rapidly with automation.

First of all there are few grey hair Thais since the great, great majority of Thais, old or middle aged, keep their hair dyed pitch black as they don't want to look old....a Thai/oriental face thing.   I just love seeing some fancy gathering on TV news of some ceremony/event consisting of only Thais all dressed up and 98% of them, whether 40 years old or 90 years old, have pitch black hair---especially the women.   So, few grey hairs will be beating down KrungThai Bank doors.  ????  

Seriously though, since KrungThai is Thai govt owned bank and has many, many "captive" customers who receive govt payments which can only be sent to a KrungThai bank acct I expect KrungThai--or should I say the govt--gives much of a sh7t.   And if most of those "old captive" customers are like my older Thai friends and family who don't use a computer and only use a phone to call, use LINE, or view Youtube then this talk of KrungThai ibanking going away on 31 Jan will probably mean close to zero to them especially since they are the type who visit a branch with passbook in hand or any ATM with debit card in hand to withdraw their monthly welfare/old age pension payments which can only be sent to KrungThai.  Like some of my closest "old" relatives they just let a young family member like a son, daughter, grandchild, etc., use the debit card to withdraw that monthly payment.  

Heck you mention mbanking, ibanking, mobile app, etc., in Thai or English language to my older Thai relatives and their eyes just roll back in their head.  Heck, they never got on the ibanking train much less the mbanking train that came along much later.  But they do know what a passbook is and usually an ATM card. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/24/2023 at 5:29 AM, Adumbration said:

Apps are a disaster.  I use a three screen desktop computer and do all my banking and trading on that.  Can't even see well enough to use an app.

IMO, the forced move to apps only is mistake by businesses. I have friends that only have iPad, iPhones and Android phones instead of a Laptop. They constantly vent their frustrations at doing anything "online". I find that using a proper browser on desktop or laptop is simply easier, faster and more accurate. YMMV. As a business owner, the loss of business by not offering clients all options is a lost revenue stream.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HighPriority said:

The only time I use a laptop and internet banking is when I need to view, print and save my statements.

Every other transaction is done on my Mobi and app.

My short arms are no longer a hinderance to my transactions since I started using my reading glasses.

I've seen your arms HP, and they look normal to me.

There is a special technique that keeps the eyes in tip-top condition. It would be completely off-top to say about it here, so I'll keep it for Sunday.

• Like 1

I am a bit slow to new technology. Hesitated to go to banking online. Not sure why.  Never bought a phone but get one from work. Don't use it much, or take it with me much, except for phone, add a few select apps, but handy for this and that including Line and online banking.

Not likely to find ourselves watching TikTok videos all day or whatever people use it for. Turn off location or tracing if that is of concern. You can make it work for you.

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 6:42 PM, GreasyFingers said:

Easy, if he is like me he is not that important to the world to be in touch every second.

I stay in touch, but not through big tech.

I'm in touch with the earth, the trees, birds and fish. We are being forced down a tech and AI path that I don't like. Some say it's progress. Was the nuclear bomb progress?

Have to decide in life what trail you want to walk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tubber said:

Has any non-Thai managed to register on the app recently, in the last few weeks, and actually get it to work? I have tried and failed miserably along with bank staff.

Interested to follow what your next move is. 

I'm in the same boat,  can't get it to capture my photo,  tried numerous times but it always says "come back later" after my  blinking,  looking left and right etc etc. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave H said:

I'm in the same boat,  can't get it to capture my photo,  tried numerous times but it always says "come back later" after my  blinking,  looking left and right etc etc. 

Be sure to be in good lightning, preferably daylight lighting.   Use daytime lighting vs warm/yellow lightning. 

Try the face scan outside in daylight.  And move the camera back and forth "slowly" and with a "steady" hand until you see it actually starting to do the face scan by the changing/flashing colors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Dave H said:

The bank said there was error in the app and to try again next week. I'll try again next week, if I still can't get it to work I'll go back to the bank. Possibly try to open a Kasikorn account.

• Like 1

Ktb are going downhill, even the phone app hardly works

Government sold their share of the company a year ago or so ago

Next time you visit the branch, ask a member of staff if they still receive government benefits like they used to...

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pib said:

Be sure to be in good lightning, preferably daylight lighting.   Use daytime lighting vs warm/yellow lightning. 

Try the face scan outside in daylight.  And move the camera back and forth "slowly" and with a "steady" hand until you see it actually starting to do the face scan by the changing/flashing colors.

Just tried it again. That is the furthest I have gotten. The face scan works up to where it tells me to blink then says it is unable to connect to the system. Maybe it will work next week and they are genuinely trying resolve the issues. 

Edited by tubber
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tubber said:

Just tried it again. That is the furthest I have gotten. The face scan works up to where it tells me to blink then says it is unable to connect to the system. Maybe it will work next week and they are genuinely trying resolve the issues. 

All the more reason to run the two systems together, rather than discontinue the one that works well.

12 minutes ago, tubber said:

Maybe just system overload at this time of day.  Definitely keep trying at different times of the day/night.  

And it asked you to blink?  Or maybe it said not to blink?  

I just know holding the phone as steady as possible under good lighting is key.

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Maybe just system overload at this time of day.  Definitely keep trying at different times of the day/night.  

And it asked you to blink?  Or maybe it said not to blink?  

I just know holding the phone as steady as possible under good lighting is key.

It definitely asked me to blink. Before that it asked me to open my mouth. 

On 1/24/2023 at 12:06 PM, owl sees all said:

But I'm gonna visit Kasikorn and inquire. I don't like or trust the 'smart phones' or 'apps'.

Yet you trust internet banking?

Maybe time to stick those shoe boxes full of cash under your bed. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 12:29 PM, Adumbration said:

Apps are a disaster.  I use a three screen desktop computer and do all my banking and trading on that.  Can't even see well enough to use an app.

Apps are great, I transfer from KTB to Bitkub to Crypto.com apps. I love new tech. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Yet you trust internet banking?

Maybe time to stick those shoe boxes full of cash under your bed. 

I have internet banking; it's true. I get the job done on my laptop. I appreciate that the days have gone when my pension is handed to me on my doorstep.

What are 'smart-pnones' essentially about? Do they really make us happier? Have they improved our lives? Or are they the first steps in surveillance and control?  If we keep going at this rate we will be just a number in some world government's giant computer.

Edited by owl sees all

KTB are following SCB by going down the digital/blockchain route. All banks within a short time will follow, if they want to remain competitive. 

Can send funds from Thailand to Japan or back in 2 seconds using cryptocurrency through SCB.

Some would prefer to use the grand old 1970s tech called SWIFT, which takes 10 days for a cross border transaction. ridiculous. No space for Luddites in the banking industry.

10 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

What are 'smart-pnones' essentially about? Do they really make us happier? Have they improved our lives? Or are they the first steps in surveillance and control? 

Good questions. I think there is a danger of addiction to them and any form addiction is bad. 

• Like 1

One positive thing about smartphones is that I can speak with my mother in Australia every day if I want, as can her many grandkids around the world. When I was first in Thailand I had to go to the main Bangkok post office to make a telephone call once a month! 

• Like 1

I just do not understand the banks motivation in forcing people to use mobile phone apps - just look at all the problems with them. It almost seems that banks are complicit in all the frauds that go on and yet refuse to compensate people for their losses when they use a system imposed on them by the same banks.

I use a PC for banking and my phone can receive an OTP and I do not want to change to mobile app only which is less secure.

And here's another from the BBC in the UK https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64240140

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Negita43 said:

I use a PC for banking and my phone can receive an OTP and I do not want to change to mobile app only which is less secure.

I thought my phone app was more secure. I use my fingerprint to open it.  I am also asked for a password. 

• Like 1