Internet banking change.

4 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Easy, if he is like me he is not that important to the world to be in touch every second.

Well I rent a scooter, but I don't drive around all day. And a phone is really quite cost effective. Mine cost about 7k. It should be ok for 3 years at least. It upgrades to the latest android, so isn't yet defunct.

My scooter on the other hand, lies idle when I go away. I still pay rent on it even though I'm not using it. It doesn't fit in my pocket, and it's got no dating app.

Edited by bradiston
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:
1 hour ago, HighPriority said:

Then the disaster is you, everyone else manages just fine with the apps (apart from Mr Owl)

BS, all of us are not children that do what they care told.

BS.  No one is expecting you to act like a child.   You're getting a service from a private company, you can go elsewhere if you don't like their rules that provide a number of options.  I'm sure that in your home your rules apply?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

What the hell?  Just saw this. Why would they close their internet banking?

I don't have a Thai phone either, and I'm out of the country now, so don't know how I'm going to pay my bills after this month.    

Any ideas?

Install Blestacks, NOX or another Android emulator on your PC, followed by the Banking app. Done.

Maybe you will need a VPN set to Thailand.

• Like 1

Mobile apps are simply a more efficient design for a smaller screen.

Sometimes they may lack the functionality of a full desktop browser but usually cover 99%. 
Smartphones can be daunting to virgins I understand that, but they don’t need to be viewed as anything other than a phone.

But you can check your email if you want, it’s really simple to message your Mrs and ask her to grab some Leo before she comes home, you can check your fb/asean now to pass time while she’s shopping for gold and yes, you can even use your banking app to pay your leccy bill. 
You can live quite happily without a smartphone, but they’re quite handy to have once you lose your fear of them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I have a mobile phone. Just invested in an 'all singing' 'all dancing' bit of kit (on right). My old Nokia battery just couldn't cut the mustard, so I dug deep and bought a new one.

1898051168_newnokia.png.d6cc8e36912f9c38014b578b6f11305a.png

So I'm no caveman. but I only want the phone for call and texts.

""""How do you stay in touch when you're away from your laptop? How do you compare prices for instance? Find places? Read messages/emails? Pay anywhere for anything?""""

I do use the mobile if necessary. Just for calls and maybe a text.

I buy the same stuff all the time. Don't really waste money on non-essentials or new things.

I don't often go anywhere new, or where I don't know. However; If I do and I think I might get lost, I take my map-book. It's about 16 years old and has pages missing; but I manage OK.

Don't access any internet stuff when I'm away from the house.

I use cash whenever possible. Using them little squares with dots is too complicated and not for me.

If I start using a 'smart phone', I'm playing into the devilish hands of the 'globalists' and 'banksters'. And then there is 5G!! At least my conscience is clear.

From your earlier post......I don't own a 'smart phone'

34 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No one's "getting blocked", everyone can use the branch, ATM or phone.  That you just don't want to is your problem and it's easily solved.

People are getting blocked from using their accounts.

Santander in the UK seem to be the worst. Once they block the account, it devilish difficult to get it unblocked if you are not in England.

My Barclays account was blocked a few years back. I spoke to an India sounding lady on the help line. She couldn't understand me and I couldn't understand her. Got it all sorted a few days later however. And since then I've changed banks.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

A droll post that HP.

Big C is OK for paying the leccy bill. And I'd rather Mrs Owl bought gold than handbags, shoes and glasses.

I was happy when I lived in the Caribbean 40 years ago. No phones. No internet. Just music, dancing, clear blue water and a splash of rum.

But seriously! Are we more happy for all this technology? I admit I'm peeved about the Krungthai bank thing; but I'll get there.

I hear you, but what did you do before you could bank on your computer… you went to the branch at lunchtime and stood there like a dolt until lunchtime was over !

The mobile app on a smartphone is a similar revolution!

Its like hitting the number 2 key on your Nokia 3 times to select C when you text Mrs Owl, texting on a smartphone is so simple that you’ll do it more often because it’s easy. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

I hear you, but what did you do before you could bank on your computer… you went to the branch at lunchtime and stood there like a dolt until lunchtime was over !

The mobile app on a smartphone is a similar revolution!

Its like hitting the number 2 key on your Nokia 3 times to select C when you text Mrs Owl, texting on a smartphone is so simple that you’ll do it more often because it’s easy. 

We did use cash a lot more back then. I can remember my first pint in the Duck and Rabbit. Cost 1 shilling, and 8 and a half pence (d not p). You are too young to recall those days HP, but they were exciting. And the joy of hearing that cash jingling in ya pocket, as you walked through the doors of ya local, was uplifting.

I'm gonna try to download the app tomorrow. Can't do it now, as I'm busy getting information on AN.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

Not just banking stopping web based internet. I use www.do4you.net for condo cleaning. They recently stopped their website bookings and now force users to download their app to make bookings. Of course, none of the registration data from their website was ported to the app so had to register again. Apps seem to be the way Thai businesses are going (in same way that their "websites" are freaking Facebook pages). Guess that few Thai users have PCs or Macs or Linux. Just hope that Kbank doesn't go same way. Was just chatting with a friend here earlier about problems making travel arrangements by tablet/phone and "fat fingers syndrome" causing problems with bookings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Who needs more than a phone/SMS to be in touch?  Prices for what?  I can do that on computer.  Places I want to go I know how to find or look at map on computer and remember.  Who needs message/emails when out (unless still working)?  Where I go they accept cash or I don't use.  

How are you going to compare prices out shopping on your laptop? Prices for comparison in places like white goods stores, hardware shops, even malls. You've got to stop and have a coffee somewhere that has WiFi. And lugging that around? Oh god, you can remember places you never knew you were going to have to go to? Like a branch of this or that store, a bar, a resto, an anything anywhere you need to look up real time. Who still uses email? Only cranky old lappy users. Sure, you can ring to change a time or place, but what happens if they don't pick up? Just keep ringing? Sooner or later, cash won't be king. Grubby, easily lost or stolen, wait for change, fumble fumble, I've got it here somewhere (the 1 baht coin to round it off after counting out the other 47 baht). Hey, we're in the Digi generation! All payments recorded on my phone for transfer to my accounts when I get home. But, as I always say: YMMV!

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

We did use cash a lot more back then. I can remember my first pint in the Duck and Rabbit. Cost 1 shilling, and 8 and a half pence (d not p). You are too young to recall those days HP, but they were exciting. And the joy of hearing that cash jingling in ya pocket, as you walked through the doors of ya local, was uplifting.

I'm gonna try to download the app tomorrow. Can't do it now, as I'm busy getting information on AN.

Well, Mr Owl, I'd put you up for National Treasure if they had nominations from the public. I'm 73 but got bitten by the computer programming bug in my 40s. Can hardly look at a screen now. Overload. But my phone screen is my friend. Horribly addictive, but there again, I no longer drink or smoke, so can beat an addiction if I really have to. Good luck with your Nokia. I'm not sure it will run a banking app, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

Cash is actually my native language Owl ????

My Dads words still ring in my ears “Don’t put cash in the bank son !”

But it’s days are almost at an end sadly.

The costs to business of handling cash are too great, time counting, the security risk (internal and external) the time spent at the bank etc…

My business was a fairly early adopter of allowing customers to do internet transfers to settle their accounts but I’ve held off using the eftpos machines for now…

• Like 1

Although located in UK I have accounts with KTB and have managed them using the Net banking via a Windows PC.

If I now am forced to use the NEXT App on a moble device connecting to mobile data using a SIMM card will I be able to access KTB accounts from UK?

The current NEXT App does not support the latest version of Android which means giving it access to more phone/device reatures than I would like.

Will I need to load a VPN capable of using a Thai server on my phone?

Is the mentioned data connection essential only for initial registration and, thereafter, WiFi can be used since the data is encrypted?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HighPriority said:

Cash is actually my native language Owl ????

My Dads words still ring in my ears “Don’t put cash in the bank son !”

But it’s days are almost at an end sadly.

The costs to business of handling cash are too great, time counting, the security risk (internal and external) the time spent at the bank etc…

My business was a fairly early adopter of allowing customers to do internet transfers to settle their accounts but I’ve held off using the eftpos machines for now…

Little bits of gold will see us through.

Sorry HP, but what is an 'eftpos' machine. I'm familiar with the 'After Time Money' machine, but trying to work out eftpos has kept me awake all night.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Although located in UK I have accounts with KTB and have managed them using the Net banking via a Windows PC.

If I now am forced to use the NEXT App on a moble device connecting to mobile data using a SIMM card will I be able to access KTB accounts from UK?

The current NEXT App does not support the latest version of Android which means giving it access to more phone/device reatures than I would like.

Will I need to load a VPN capable of using a Thai server on my phone?

Is the mentioned data connection essential only for initial registration and, thereafter, WiFi can be used since the data is encrypted?

It is certainly gonna be difficult for some of us.

I'm doing one last transfer later today. After that;;;,,, well I just don't know. It's a worry.

20 hours ago, Stocky said:

Kasikorn still has K-Bank but it probably won't be long before that closes in favour of the K-Plus app.

I would not draw any conclusions from the actions of KTB.

KTB Next seems to have been written more than a decade ago, so the team who created it, is probably no longer there (or do not want to touch it), and it shares nothing with the rest of their web infrastructure, e.g. they have 2 (two!) additional web apps for corporate clients, which looks and acts nothing like KTB Next.

Kasikorn OTOH seems to be using The Web Company for all their web infrastructure, their web app appears to be “modern”, and intended for both retail and corporate customers, the latter absolutely need a proper app (not just a phone app), so I don’t see them discontinuing this anytime soon.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, lkn said:

I would not draw any conclusions from the actions of KTB.

KTB Next seems to have been written more than a decade ago, so the team who created it, is probably no longer there (or do not want to touch it), and it shares nothing with the rest of their web infrastructure, e.g. they have 2 (two!) additional web apps for corporate clients, which looks and acts nothing like KTB Next.

Kasikorn OTOH seems to be using The Web Company for all their web infrastructure, their web app appears to be “modern”, and intended for both retail and corporate customers, the latter absolutely need a proper app (not just a phone app), so I don’t see them discontinuing this anytime soon.

OK then. Thanks for that lkn.

Would you suggest moving to Kasikorn, if I still wanted to use my laptop, rather than those awful  and scary 'smart phones'? I do already have an account with Kasi. Would it be easy for me to get Internet Banking on that account?

Edited by owl sees all

Sorry HP, but what is an 'eftpos' machine. I'm familiar with the 'After Time Money' machine, but trying to work out eftpos has kept me awake all night.

Eftpos= electronic fund transfer, point of sale. 
e.g. the gear they use when you pay in a store with a debit or credit card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, owl sees all said:

My apologies mate, there I was thinking I was doing a sterling job of keeping stuff simple...%)

Electronic Funds Transfer @ Point Of Sale "eftpos" just that little machine that you swipe or tap your card at... or your smartphone, but we wont go back there... ????

As you know I'm a tradie and you can get these little card readers that wifi to your phone and for I believe as little as 1% commission take your customers money from them and deliver it to me.

I went to a "lawn sale" (clearing out and selling stuff that you dont want anymore) and the people doing the selling had one.

Its becoming a strange old world Owl !

22 hours ago, tubber said:

I am in exactly the same situation. Krung Thai internet banking was just as you say, simple and efficient. The new app is a disaster if you read the reviews. Facial recognition and only via data, no wi-fi connection allowed. I was also going to go to Kasikorn in the next few days. It was either Kasikorn, SCB or Bangkok Bank. Interested to know how you get on. I'll update this in a couple of days if I can open a new account with internet banking. I also have a Government Savings Bank account but you have to be a Thai Citizen to have internet banking.

I'm not sure using smartphones is any more secure than using internet banking. Nothing to stop someone forcing a victim to hold the phone up for facial recognition in order to steal from  their account.

Also. Phone screens are not good for those with bad or impaired vision.

At least with internet banking, it can be done on a larger screen. And as another poster said, there seem to be more options available via internet banking.

Personally, although I use the scan feature to pay for things in the supermarket, I feel much more comfortable doing online banking in the comfort of my own home, on my own network.

As an aside. Kasikorn are waiving fee for their new K Online Debit Card (100 baht joining fee and annual fee 150 baht) first year, from Jan 1 2023 until 30 Apr 2023.

I presume this is replacing the old K-web shopping card.

But they are also moving it from online banking to their K Plus app. So it seems other banks are pushing their apps to replace some online banking services.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1