Access to 800K

I have a Retirement Visa with the usual money required in my fixed account.

what I would like to know is if I should die before my Thai wife, how can she access this money.

I have a Will made in Thailand but have my son’s name as executor, as I felt that he would be able to deal with finances on the UK side more easily.

My house and car here is in my wife’s name. We’re not legally married.

Grateful for sharing your experience / advice in dealing with such a situation. Many thanks.

10 hours ago, Tazmo said:

My UK assets is only money in the bank there and the arrangement if for it to be divided equally to my 5 children in the UK

Maybe you need a separate UK will to cover these, in addition to a Thai will as recommended by @DrJack54. If the will referred to in your OP embraces both Thailand and the UK, things could potentially get messy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Best advice is to have a will for each country covering monies and assets in each country, along with a named executor for each will. Without a Thai will naming your Thai partner as a monetary beneficiary and for exactly how much, she’d have a difficult time getting your money from the bank. 

Edited by Dazkkk
  • Thumbs Up 1

I need to make a seperate Will here in Thailand for my Girlfriend too, that's what the Australian Lawyer advised me to do.

May I  ask approximately what costs are involved here in Thailand to get a simple Will, eg 800+ Bank account and house?

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could do another will so that she inherits the funds you have in the bank.

My understanding is that it is not that easy if they are not married.  Others may have a call on that cash and the banks may not be so amenable to part with it.  Marriage, with a legal certificate, is the only real guarantee. That at least is my understanding. That is also a protection if both die together, say in a car crash, then a will is needed to resolve that situation, especially if the funds in that scenario, are to go to the farangs foreign family. . 

Edited by Doctor Tom

BTW the Bank has told me that only a Will will entitle my wife ( when married) to the 800,000B, and not a married certificate.

A friend has just done a Will for his Partner for the release of the 800,000, should he die first.

42 minutes ago, Tazmo said:

A friend has just done a Will for his Partner for the release of the 800,000, should he die first.

I think that there is a lot of folk in your situation. 

Bit left field, however I have come down to 3 options. I use money in bank method 800k.

Not married same partner 10yr +

Fortunately put car, property etc in her name.

1. Thai WILL.

2. Change to income method and every month when funds transfered place into account in partner name. 

3. Change to use of agent for extensions retirement. Good option for those with mobility issues etc. 

• Love It 1