The inevitable .... Thai Evil Eye!

Don Chance

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

Like the psycho in the pub "what you looking at?" - I think you need to look at yourself more than any Thai person would.

If a random person who I have never seen before glares at me when I walk past them, and I know I have done nothing to deserve such a glare, there is nothing about myself that I need to examine.  The problem lies with the glarer.

50 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

If a random person who I have never seen before glares at me when I walk past them, and I know I have done nothing to deserve such a glare, there is nothing about myself that I need to examine.  The problem lies with the glarer.

....and you see a lot of this???? - It seems like the problem is with you seeing glarers everywhere, It's called PPD - Paranoid personality disorder (PPD) is a mental health condition marked by a pattern of distrust and suspicion of others without adequate reason to be suspicious

Edited by kwilco

4 minutes ago, kwilco said:

....and you see a lot of this???? - I think the problem is with you seeing glarers everywhere, It's called PPD - Paranoid personality disorder (PPD) is a mental health condition marked by a pattern of distrust and suspicion of others without adequate reason to be suspicious

The lengths some people will go to to try to pretend that Thailand and Thai people are perfect. ????

As I said, I seriously doubt that no Thai person has ever glared at you if you have spent a significant time in Thailand.  You either don't notice it or choose to block it out.

The fact that you not only refuse to believe that any Thai people could be racist or have a dislike for foreigners, and that causes some of them to glare at foreigners, suggest that you are the one who might have a mental health condition.

I suppose every foreigner who reports encountering Thais who glare at them or treat them badly in some other way is suffering from a mental condition?  And any social media or news story that reports on foreigners being mistreated or attacked by Thais is made up?  Or perhaps some sort of Shared psychotic disorder?

Your time would be better spent looking into your own mental state.  It sounds like you're experiencing a little cognitive dissonance at the very least.

8 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

The lengths some people will go to to try to pretend that Thailand and Thai people are perfect. ????

As I said, I seriously doubt that no Thai person has ever glared at you if you have spent a significant time in Thailand.  You either don't notice it or choose to block it out.

The fact that you not only refuse to believe that any Thai people could be racist or have a dislike for foreigners, and that causes some of them to glare at foreigners, suggest that you are the one who might have a mental health condition.

I suppose every foreigner who reports encountering Thais who glare at them or treat them badly in some other way is suffering from a mental condition?  And any social media or news story that reports on foreigners being mistreated or attacked by Thais is made up?  Or perhaps some sort of Shared psychotic disorder?

Your time would be better spent looking into your own mental state.  It sounds like you're experiencing a little cognitive dissonance at the very least.

You answer is predictable - I think you should read it and think deeply about yourself. You aren't doing anything to allay the suspicions.

A long time ago I decided people are generally not smiley happy every minute of every day ????

Since this came to my attention I am no longer concerned about the occasional impassive face I encounter, especially if it appears before the morning snifter 

You can see a divergence of opinions here and i agree with @BangkokReady 

:people who haven't experienced the evil eye in Thailand just haven't traveled enough.  These are regional differences too, th south being worse.

Thai's have a common culture, language and traditions but have very different castes being a Buddhist country, like other countries such as India. Some people are raise with the religious tradition, Brahmin, others are in the military tradition Kshatriya

They tend to be narcissistic, machiavellian and these are the people who will give you the evil eye. It is abusive and they are disregarding the farang (who has no caste btw.) Without talking to them. It is a form of bullying. 

If you don't think Thailand is filled with psychopaths and narcissistic, then just read the news. No amount of police and cctv's, draconian courts or prison will deter them either.

Basically, if there doesn't seem to be any implied threat or active unpleasantness, I just go on being myself.....If I glance & someone is "looking" at me, I'll smile then go back to what I'm doing..... Why let their problem project any power at me.....

I'm not doing anything wrong, I dress approptiately & am not slovenly or overweight .....

If they don't like me on sight = fk'em....