The inevitable .... Thai Evil Eye!

Don Chance

10 minutes ago, Hummin said:

That the law says nothing about!

Thailand has a bunch of unusual laws to follow, but this one is perhaps the funniest – it's illegal to leave the house without any underwear on. To avoid any awkward conversations back home about why you got in trouble over this, make sure you pack enough underwear to last for your whole tripIt is against the law in Thailand to “go commando.” It is actually illegal to go in public without underwear in the Kingdom. It’s the law. If you do, you could (theoretically) wind up in jail. And that’s no way to start the week. More practically speaking, skimpy clothing is generally frowned upon, especially away from the tourist areas. Keep you shoulders covered and wear a longer skirt (or shorts), especially if you’re entering a temple or public building.

source 

Travel dot com

The laws in Thailand give sometimes cause for amusement. I believe that the laws are mostly meant as "recommendations". To be freely interpreted by the executive branch of the government.

PS: There is a law forbidding prostitution.......???

3 minutes ago, swissie said:

The laws in Thailand give sometimes cause for amusement. I believe that the laws are mostly meant as "recommendations". To be freely interpreted by the executive branch of the government.

PS: There is a law forbidding prostitution.......???

We are talking about possible reasons of the evil eye, not the actual law.

The truth is, walking without underwear and showing off your wiener in just one layer of thin fabric, is a cultural sin. 

Ask your wife or gf's

31 minutes ago, Hummin said:

We are talking about possible reasons of the evil eye, not the actual law.

The truth is, walking without underwear and showing off your wiener in just one layer of thin fabric, is a cultural sin. 

Ask your wife or gf's

If your Immigration Officer gives you "The Evil Eye" (for whatever reasons), it becomes "the law".

I'd recommend the OP gets some therapy ASAP. 

the OP is a particularly disturbing post, but it shows how expats fail to integrate and instead take on a condescending few of their neighbours.

This is a person flying headlong into trouble for himself and probably others.

leaving town (or the Country) is not an option to the OP because his problems will follow him.

• Like 1

I know we  (as a society) treat the obviously Muslim with the evil eye, and to be true I got the evil eye for using a mask in makro this morning by a fellow foreigner,  or maybe I just imagined it, not sure if it was the mask or his wife smiling to me 

As others have claimed, this has never happened to me neither. Thais can be strange (to us). Could be something as simple as you accidentally forgetting to pay your bill before and instead of confronting you and causing you to lose face, they give you this “evil eye”?  And not saying you (the OP) would do something like this, but I have seen foreigners (not just farang) getting too familiar with staff and crossing the line. Also, they aren’t too keen on sarcasm.  Could you hve made a comment or comments that you assumed was an innocent joke, but they considered it rude. Could be a number of things, I assume. I hope you are not putting your feet up on the table or chairs or something, especially if their is a portrait of a member of a family I don’t think Inneed to even mention. Anyway, if this bothers you, I would blow it off. You could humbly ask what’s up, but I don’t think it would get you anwhere. Maybe. Good luck. 

give them the evil eye back , speak  an incantation  out loud in welsh or  old hebrew  and wave your hands around  with satanic intentions ,, freaks them out every time  they either scuttle away in fear muttering ,   ''Pa Mot Farang Pisat'' or similar , or they  bow and scrape for  forgiveness ,,

• Haha 1

Times i got the evil eye:

Smiled at a waitress. - waitress got the evil eye for a minute, i got it for a week.

Asked to discuss a matter with my wife. She stared at me for ten minutes solid then when i asked what the issue was. She said, so why you disgust at me?

My wife kicked off when weed came legal and threatened to call the cops, i dont think she believes it is legal.

12 minutes ago, rankric said:

Times i got the evil eye:

Smiled at a waitress. - waitress got the evil eye for a minute, i got it for a week.

Asked to discuss a matter with my wife. She stared at me for ten minutes solid then when i asked what the issue was. She said, so why you disgust at me?

My wife kicked off when weed came legal and threatened to call the cops, i dont think she believes it is legal.

Maybe time for a new wife

On 1/24/2023 at 3:36 PM, Don Chance said:

You've been in Thailand, in a town or area for a while, you know a few people, guesthouse owners, staff, bar restaurants owners workers etc.  Then it happens.  You get that look, that angry, glare of disapproval.   You think, hmm, they are probably in a bad mood, nothing to do with me. Then you see them again and the same disgruntled look directed at you.  Hmm, that's strange. Then again later, now it is for sure. It's the evil eye! You are a bad-object! A bad farang! What have i done you wonder?

You don't even need to wait, and there's not really any doubt or confusion.  Some Thais strongly dislike foreigners and glare angrily at them when they see one.  This has gotten worse since covid, and now those that dislike foreigners have another arrow in their racist quiver: "foreigners are dirty and all carry a dangerous and contagious disease so lift/check your mask when you see them and try to avoid them".

At the core, it's about simply hating foreigners (non-Asian foreigners).  Then this hate leads to rationalisation, where someone finds a reason for the hate.

On 1/24/2023 at 3:36 PM, Don Chance said:

So how do you handle the situation?

Either you ignore it (it's certainly in the minority) and focus on the nice people, or consider living/visiting another country where people are generally more positive towards foreign people.

I'd recommend giving Vietnam a try.  The feeling there is less "Ew, a foreigner" and more "Wow, a foreigner".  But you will find the culture there is very different.  A lot more petty crime, scamming and distrust among the populace.  Swings and roundabouts.

The problem with relocating, is that you might find that the culture that leads to this happening in some cases, is actually the very thing that draws you to Thailand.

On 1/24/2023 at 10:54 PM, kwilco said:

I'd recommend the OP gets some therapy ASAP. 

the OP is a particularly disturbing post, but it shows how expats fail to integrate and instead take on a condescending few of their neighbours.

Whatever the reaction, some Thais do glare at foreigners and clearly aren't too happy to see them.

If a Thai is angry with you and doesn't smile at you anymore, try to remember if you have forget paid him or underpaid him maybe by mistake.

If you don't remember why too many LEO asks if you can pay the bill. He answer will be interesting. ????

8 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Whatever the reaction, some Thais do glare at foreigners and clearly aren't too happy to see them.

Like the psycho in the pub "what you looking at?" - I think you need to look at yourself more than any Thai person would.

Edited by kwilco