Is AA a religion?

Andy F

image.pngThe “God” word pamphlet

In May 2017, the ‘general service conference’ of Alcoholics Anonymous approved and published a pamphlet that was called The “God” word. It was a very important event for all atheists, agnostics and freethinkers that come to AA to get sober. As I mentioned in a previous blog this pamphlet was inspired and initiated by an AA group in London. It is known as the Thursday Islington Atheist, Agnostic and Freethinkers group. This blog will not be about the creation and publication of the pamphlet. Rather, it will focus on the very first line of this all-important piece of AA literature.....................continue to the blog:

https://aaforagnostics.com/blog/is-aa-a-religion/

image.png.16c462e920611eb3556d21ad8973e9b8.png

• 2 weeks later...

It is not a religion at all. 

It is not a self help group, the help comes from God, as you understand him. 

AA success rate has plummeted in recent years as non-alcoholics are allowed to stay. These heavy drinkers can recover without God, alcoholics can't. 

There have been many 12 step groups invented, based on AA. 

Why don't atheists start a new program, rather than trying to change AA? 

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is a ubiquitous recovery mutual-help organization that continues to arouse controversy, in part because of the program’s spiritual orientation

John F Kennedy was maybe a good president but this is wrong. The help we need to recover does NOT come from each other. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Neeranam said:

It is not a religion at all. 

It is not a self help group, the help comes from God, as you understand him. 

AA success rate has plummeted in recent years as non-alcoholics are allowed to stay. These heavy drinkers can recover without God, alcoholics can't. 

There have been many 12 step groups invented, based on AA. 

Why don't atheists start a new program, rather than trying to change AA? 

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is a ubiquitous recovery mutual-help organization that continues to arouse controversy, in part because of the program’s spiritual orientation

John F Kennedy was maybe a good president but this is wrong. The help we need to recover does NOT come from each other. 

I'm an agnostic in AA and am 25 years happily sober in AA. It was suggested by some God squad bleeding deacon on this platform that I can't be a real alcoholic if I don't believe in Hod. I was a homeless and hopeless drunk for years before I came to AA. What about Jim Burwell? He was an early member of AA that was an atheist. He was responsible for convincing Bill W to include "as we understand him" in steps 3 and 11. Moreover, because of Jim, Bill included the word "suggested" in Chapter 5 of the Big Book. "Here are the steps we took which are "suggested" as a program of recovery"

As the result of working through the first 9 steps, I am the grateful recipient of a "non-God-centered" spiritual awakening. In the words of Dr. Bob, I try and keep the program simple. "Love and service to others" is the basis of my spiritual awakening. Check out Dr. Bobs Farewell talk online

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, Andy F said:

As the result of working through the first 9 steps, I am the grateful recipient of a "non-God-centered" spiritual awakening. In the words of Dr. Bob, I try and keep the program simple. "Love and service to others" is the basis of my spiritual awakening. Check out Dr. Bobs Farewell talk online

Will check it out. I used to be a Buddhist, I understand. 

The Thais I have worked with use, "Sing Sud Sid" as a Higher Power. 

AA is not a religion. They shun affiliation with religious groups.

Let's make one thing clear. There is no being "IN" the program of AA. You are either doing it or you are not doing it. One can be "IN" meetings of the fellowship but one can only DO the program.

Being "In" AA is not the same as actually doing the program of AA. There are plenty of atheists and agnostics visiting the meetings of AA everyday all over the world. BUT, if they want recovery the AA way they will have to do the program which demands they be open minded and get past their prejudices toward spiritual terms and be even willing to believe a Higher Power might exist. This is required TO DO THE SECOND STEP of the 12 step PROGRAM of recovery.

The God Word pamphlet has to do with acceptance of people from all beliefs and walks of life IN THE MEETINGS OF THE FELLOWSHIP. It has always been the case that people of all beliefs and walks of life are accepted in the fellowship. But, if they want to do the 12 step PROGRAM of AA they will have to get past their prejudices toward spiritual terms and toward the possible existence of a Higher Power, Spirit of the Universe, Universal Mind, or God.. whatever you want to call God. They will need to drop their old atheist or agnostic ideas and become open minded to the possible existence of a God of some sort. From there they do the 3rd step and through demonstration of the 3rd step decision they do the rest of the steps which brings about a personal experience of a Higher Power. 

Edited by likerdup1
  • Like 1