Small child can't walk, has liver  problems after "cruel school caretaker" makes kids do 300 sit-ups

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Cruel caretaker!!

Daily News followed up after a post on a "So You Wanna Be Famous" page online was widely commented upon.

It featured an 8 year old child in primary grade three currently in Rueso Hospital because a caretaker of a dormitory at a school - not a teacher - made a group of kids do hundreds of sit-ups as a punishment after someone left a tap running.

The child was left unable to urinate or walk after suffering damage to his liver and kidneys.

At the hospital in Narathiwat, in the far south of Thailand, reporters met the child's 33 year old mother at his bedside. 

She said her son came home last Friday unable to walk and suffering from swelling.

Shocked, she referred the matter to Pol Capt Seksan Reuangrit of the Rueso police who are waiting on medical reports before proceeding in the case.

The father said no one had owned up about the tap so everyone was punished. He intends to have the matter prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Hospital director Dr Samsuddeen Hama said that the boy would be in their care for a while but was improving. If there were continued problems then they would consult at the main Narathiwat Nakharin Hospital.

Tests would need to be done to see if the boy had any underlying health issues.

The school director, unnamed in this report, said that there are 760 pupils at the school 168 of whom were boarders. 

He planned to meet the parents. He confirmed that 21 students were punished by the caretaker who demanded 500 sit-ups but most of the kids barely did 100.

Only one child had a problem.

But he said that the caretaker involved had been spoken to about excessive punishment and would be disciplined. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-01-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

3 hours ago, Thailand said:

"But he said that the caretaker involved had been spoken to about excessive punishment and would be disciplined. " ?

In the context of Thai Schools with their military discipline, this might be taken as a slightly unfortunate incident… Severe rules, generally lax discipline and enforcement, but over zealous reactions when they do enforce are the normal way here.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Terrible how this keeps happening. It's either on one end, absolutely no discipline and the kids run amok, or all the way at the other end, where it's boot camp. They can't seem to find the middle ground.

I control the kids in my classes by  having the last 10 mins of each class as an activity/games time I give them 5 strikes, each strikes is a count of 5. If the class or the students disrupting the class don't  stop, the whole class loses a strike. If they lose 5 = no activity/game. The second i start to count to 5, the other students tell the disruptive ones to be quiet. Thai teachers say I'm too hard on the students.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sikishrory said:

These teachers and school staff seem to have no fear of retribution from parents.

If anyone did that too my kid it would be strike first ask questions later.

Not being a hero but I would've thought that a natural reaction from any parent when anyone physically harms your child?

Ok not a teacher.

I agree that this is over the top 25 push ups maybe

BUt can we stop withe the child abuse and call it what it is assault. 

The problem is the same one all through Thai society. 

No one knows what to do.  What's reasonable.

It is the same with teaching classes the only thing you g and old teachers know is what they saw as students.

No one really teaches teachers how to teach.  No one mentors the new teachers or assists them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Punishing the whole class for the behavior of one or two is cruel and unfair, these kids will carry resentment toward authority and laws for their entire lives. Additionally, this is a tactic used by Hitler on POWs. The Thai teachers are right. The kids deserve better.  You should resign.

1 hour ago, Ginner said:

Do you know what teaching is about? It's about teaching children how to interact into society with others and that their behavior can affect others, family and friends, or would you suggest I do it the Thai way... a slap round the head and brought out to the front and totally embarrassed  Infront of the other students.

probably you never stood in front of a classroom.....You would talk differently

• Thumbs Up 1

It is time to get this semi-divineness out of the lesser educated Thai folks, i.e. 85%. Anything related to government, army, police, medicine or education floats 40 centimetres above ground as higher ups. 

Caretakers, watchmen etc. believe that they can behave like many of afore-mentioned. Society, and specially children, need to be protected from such evil p1rkcs - for good. Throw them into a slammer for years to come, communicate with fingerpointing photos and name and make them pay for their absolute misbehavior. 

I sometimes wonder, what all those semi-divine a"*ç%"sholes would say, if their kids or loved ones would be treated the way they treat children or (elder?) people under their "care". What a disgrace ...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thailand said:

"But he said that the caretaker involved had been spoken to about excessive punishment and would be disciplined. " ?

Out of a job surely?

I sure wouldn't bet on that. Maybe relocated to another school at worst.

2 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

It is time to get this semi-divineness out of the lesser educated Thai folks, i.e. 85%. Anything related to government, army, police, medicine or education floats 40 centimetres above ground as higher ups. 

Caretakers, watchmen etc. believe that they can behave like many of afore-mentioned. Society, and specially children, need to be protected from such evil p1rkcs - for good. Throw them into a slammer for years to come, communicate with fingerpointing photos and name and make them pay for their absolute misbehavior. 

I sometimes wonder, what all those semi-divine a"*ç%"sholes would say, if their kids or loved ones would be treated the way they treat children or (elder?) people under their "care". What a disgrace ...

Personally, I'd be all for corporal punishment. And I'd give the father of the child first dibs to be the one to mete out the whipping or caning, if he wanted. And it should be done in front of city hall for all to see. It would be good to televise it as well. People need very explicit examples, especially around here! It seems to be such a common story of abuse in the schools. I am quite surprised there aren't more cases of fathers going to get justice on their own. If they didn't deal out some pretty severe punishment and it were my child, the perpetrator would definitely wish they had given him a more severe punishment by the time I was done with him. 40 centimeters above ground? As far as I'm concerned some of these guys, especially the sexual predators, are lucky they aren't a meter UNDERground.

• Love It 1