Ubc New Channels

jaidam

The missus just waited about 15 minutes to speak to UBC on their hotline for subscribing to the new packages which started 1st July(according to UBC website & magazine). Finally, when she got to ask about getting the new Discovery channels and giving all her subscriber info etc, the UBC staff said he had no idea about when the new channels were starting, and that maybe she could try calling again in a few weeks time!!

Seems strange because it looks like the new channels are up and running, only with the message that they are scrambled ie we haven't subscribed for them.

Has anyone had better luck getting the new channels?

The missus just waited about 15 minutes to speak to UBC on their hotline for subscribing to the new packages which started 1st July(according to UBC website & magazine). Finally, when she got to ask about getting the new Discovery channels and giving all her subscriber info etc, the UBC staff said he had no idea about when the new channels were starting, and that maybe she could try calling again in a few weeks time!!

Seems strange because it looks like the new channels are up and running, only with the message that they are scrambled ie we haven't subscribed for them.

Has anyone had better luck getting the new channels?

No. Tried phoning them but got fed up with waiting.

Yet another example of what a great company they are.

Hopefully when someone get in touch with UBC they will post the costs of adding these ala carte channels.

Wonder why UBC is being so coy about the additional cost. Just jams the telephone lines with subscribers that don't want the channels if they cost a lot more.

I had a local judge and my Thai mate read the information in the brochure and they both came up with different interpretations. Perhaps, even in Thai it is not clear if more money is required, but my guess is yes.

In the E mail sent to me it states the prices are as follows.

For those on the silver package.

Discovery Package 190 Baht

Disney Package 170 Baht

For those on the Gold package.

Discovery 190 Baht

Disney 170 Baht

HBO Package 220 Baht

All 3 for 490 Baht

For those on the Platinum package

Discovery 120 Baht

Disney 100 Baht

HBO 150 Baht

All 3 for 299 Baht

Why could they not have posted these costs in the magazine or the web site instead of making us phone or send E Mails?

I will not be paying any more than I do allready.

<snip>

Why could they not have posted these costs in the magazine or the web site instead of making us phone or send E Mails?

It's the TrueVisions version of the "just in time" strategy. Unfortunately, the "mai pen rai, prung nee" mentality means it's nearly always "just too late". :o

In the E mail sent to me it states the prices are as follows.

For those on the silver package.

Discovery Package 190 Baht

Disney Package 170 Baht

For those on the Gold package.

Discovery 190 Baht

Disney 170 Baht

HBO Package 220 Baht

All 3 for 490 Baht

For those on the Platinum package

Discovery 120 Baht

Disney 100 Baht

HBO 150 Baht

All 3 for 299 Baht

Good information. Did they happen to tell you how to find out what the programming is for these channels? It isn't included in their website, nor is it in their July magazine. Without it, I am not sure how to evaluate the channels to see whether it make sense to order them.

Same here i was told after being on hold for 15 min's that the new channels start next month aug 1st and even though we have the Platinum package i will still have to pay for more ?? thwy wont give any frebee;s

also just to mention i read in the bangkok post sat 30th true are negotiating a new contract with ESPN, and will issue a statement next week , the current contract runs out end of this month

In my opinion all these channels(apart from maybe Disney) are all cheap re hashed old movies and documentaries. So how they expect people to dish up more money for them I do not know.

I used to get the Discovery channels in England and they were all part of the overall package at no extra cost.

Maybe I am missing something here but I am subscribed to the Platinum package as far as I am aware (I will check when their office opens) and already have HBO. It is on channel 13.

3 New channels.

HBO Hits (repeats)

HBO Signature (their own series)

HBO Family (kids repeats)

Maybe I am missing something here but I am subscribed to the Platinum package as far as I am aware (I will check when their office opens) and already have HBO. It is on channel 13.

3 New channels.

HBO Hits (repeats)

what channel numbers please?

3 New channels.

HBO Hits (repeats)

From the channels now available, their current HBO will remain. That being the case, how does "Hits" and "Signature" differ from the programming on their current HBO?

So many questions. So little information available.

you can use the guide function on youre remote to see what is playing every day even when the channel is scrambled

That only works for the program immediately ahead, at least on my remote. That would mean I would have to be sitting in front of the TV all day to see what is playing on that day. Surely, TrueVisions should have this info on their website. I fully expect that when the stations start transmitting on Aug. 1st that True will allow at least one month of free viewing to allow people to see whether they want to subscribe or not. There are descriptions of what the channels have on the internet from other markets, but I can't be sure that the same programs will be shown in Asia.

you can use the guide function on youre remote to see what is playing every day even when the channel is scrambled

That only works for the program immediately ahead, at least on my remote. That would mean I would have to be sitting in front of the TV all day to see what is playing on that day. Surely, TrueVisions should have this info on their website. I fully expect that when the stations start transmitting on Aug. 1st that True will allow at least one month of free viewing to allow people to see whether they want to subscribe or not. There are descriptions of what the channels have on the internet from other markets, but I can't be sure that the same programs will be shown in Asia.

The stations are on air now. Your remote will show you what is on air. Dont waste your money.

That only works for the program immediately ahead, at least on my remote.

Same here. But if you go to http://www.truevisionstv.com/index.aspx and click on "Search Schedule" (to the right and down a bit), wait for the panel to update and then click on "Schedule" (just after "Download" a couple of inches further down), you can download a zip file of the entire month's schedules for all channels.

Unfortunately, it's currently June's schedule as they appear to have forgotten, or been unable, to update it for July. It has been updated on the first of the month every month for a long time.

The stations are on air now. Your remote will show you what is on air. Dont waste your money.

According to True, the new A La Carte stations haven't started yet. Below, to avoid any misunderstanding, is exactly the wording I received in my email from True yesterday:

"Thank you very much for your e-mail below. Regarding to your inquiry, we would like to inform you that currently A La Carte packages are not ready to provide this service yet and need to extend the subscription day. Once you are able to subscribe you’ll be informed through TrueVisions media."

Sometimes I wonder who's in charge at UBC/True Visions.

Every other country in the world - the channels you have to pay extra for are sports and movies (and often, Disney).

In Thailand, you get the sports and movie channels in the package, and you have to pay extra for what are normally the "filler" stations. (and Disney).

Personally, I have 3 kids, so don't see how I can avoid getting Disney (about bloody time it was available, just annoying that it's not part of the package), but I don't see me paying for the others. (and if I'm not paying for them - given I'm on a fairly high UK income here, so the money is NOT an issue - who will?)

According to True, the new A La Carte stations haven't started yet. Below, to avoid any misunderstanding, is exactly the wording I received in my email from True yesterday:

"Thank you very much for your e-mail below. Regarding to your inquiry, we would like to inform you that currently A La Carte packages are not ready to provide this service yet and need to extend the subscription day. Once you are able to subscribe you’ll be informed through TrueVisions media."

I think you'll find that the new HBO channels have been on for a few weeks now, as have the new Discovery ones. I'll admit though, I only spotted Disney today (channel 54).

They're all encrypted, but as programme names are appearing on the channel guide, they probably are broadcasting already, and it's simply a True Visions screw up that means they're unable to handle people wanting to actually subscribe to them.

You'd think they'd unencrypt the channels for existing subscribers and try and get us interested in them in the next month if we're not able to subscribe anyway - but that would be far too sensible a way of handling it.

(Maybe, True think it's better to lie and say the channels aren't there yet because they forgot to print the schedules in the magazine. Whoever made that decision hasn't got kids on their school holidays - no need for the programme guide, as the TV would never leave the Disney channel.)