Process to get Non O due to Non B extension of stay expiring

Hi,

I'm currently on a Non B extension of stay which runs out on 1st March.  I will no longer be employed by my employer after then and I'm looking to get a Non O visa based on marriage.

I understand all the documents and requirements needed for a Non O based on marriage, but I'm unsure of the process when coming from a Non B extension of stay.

1. As I understand, I can apply for a Non O in country at Cheng Wattana.
  2. Can I apply for a Non O before my extension of stay runs out?
  3. If not, do I have to apply for a Non O on the same day my extension of stay expires, or is there any grace period? 
  4. Do I need to cancel my work permit before I can apply for a Non O?  My work permit doesn't not run out in March, but is valid until November.

Is there anything I'm missing or other considerations I need to be aware of?

Thanks

Edited by Millian

Once you stop working they will usually cancel your work permit and Non B visa, unless you have something worked out with them. You would also need to contact the social security office to show them your letter of termination and I was able to get a pittance of 3,000 baht a month for 3 months but had to go back in 6 months to sign up to continue the ss benefits and set up monthly payments.  Unfortunately I left right before Covid and couldn’t get back to do that and Only Thais can do it online. Such as life. 
You must have it cancelled before you can apply for a Non O visa. I wasn’t married so I’m not sure it’s the same, but I shad to leave the country and return on a regular tourist visa then start the application process for the Non O. It seems like there may have been more, but I had my friend who is an agent help me with it. So, like I said it may be different for you as you are married and this was early 2020. I hope someone will have some more relevant information. Worse case scenario get an agent to help you sort it all out. Good luck 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The easiest would be to do a border-run prior to your Non B extension expiring.  When you live close to the Cambodian, Laos or Malaysian border, a land-border hop would probably be your best option.  Alternatively you can also take a return flight to a near-by country.

The border-hop can be done same day, but obviously you can also combine it with a holiday/sightseeing trip in the country you are entering. 

You do not need to apply for a Tourist Visa for Thailand as you can simply return Visa Exempt (without a Visa) which will provide you with a 45-day permission to stay stamp in your Passport.  That gives you ample time to prepare for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at the Thai Immigration Office of the province where you are residing, and that needs to be done when you have at least 15 days remaining before expiry of your permission to stay. 

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You could change the reason for your extension of stay from working to a extension based upon marriage to a Thai.

My current extension of stay expires on March 1st.  So I can change my extension of stay to be based on Marriage, rather than employment?

I'm still unsure on these points though?

1. Can I change the reason for my extension of stay before my current one runs out?
  2. If not, do I have to apply for the new extension of stay on the same day my current extension of stay expires, or is there any grace period? 
  3. Do I need to cancel my work permit before I can apply for a new extension of stay?  My work permit doesn't not run out in March, but is valid until November.

Thank you.

I did this last month. Employer cancelled my work permit and my nonB with a Void stamp on it. They issued a 7-day stay stamp. We then went to immigration and applied for Non O. They issued a 30-day stay stamp. A week later Immigration visited our home for the interview. Two weeks later my one year Non O was issued. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinRacing said:

I did this last month. Employer cancelled my work permit and my nonB with a Void stamp on it. They issued a 7-day stay stamp. We then went to immigration and applied for Non O. They issued a 30-day stay stamp. A week later Immigration visited our home for the interview. Two weeks later my one year Non O was issued. 

Yes, this is what my office suggested to me, but I’m going back to the UK for a month anyway, so it wasn’t any use. Do you know if the 7 days is automatic or it needs to be requested? My office said they will ‘get’ 5 days (3 more than I need) so that made me think the automatic period is less, which I’ve always heard.

On 1/26/2023 at 7:36 AM, ubonjoe said:

To change to a non-o visa you would have to leave and re-enter the country. Immigration does not issue visas unless you entered visa exempt or with a tourist visa.

You could change the reason for your extension of stay from working to a extension based upon marriage to a Thai.

You will need 400K baht for 2 months or proof of 40k baht monthly income to apply.

So, it should be possible to change reason for extension of stay while still employed? Providing you have the docs in place and wife ready to go? 

I am asking because I think I should have tried this some time ago, while HR were still doing everything for me. I am feeling this was a mistake (although no consequences in my case as my post-retirement employment extension ends one working day before I leave Thailand for a while anyway). There is enough to worry about when ending employment without this too.

8 minutes ago, Nonthaburi Boy said:

Yes, this is what my office suggested to me, but I’m going back to the UK for a month anyway, so it wasn’t any use. Do you know if the 7 days is automatic or it needs to be requested? My office said they will ‘get’ 5 days (3 more than I need) so that made me think the automatic period is less, which I’ve always heard.

There is no automatic extension. You have to apply for a extension that will be denied and 7 day days are granted to leave the country and the 1900 baht fee is paid.

• Love It 1

5 minutes ago, Nonthaburi Boy said:

So, it should be possible to change reason for extension of stay while still employed? Providing you have the docs in place and wife ready to go? 

You change the reason for the existing extension that is canceled and the 1900 baht fee is paid for the new one.

11 minutes ago, Millian said:

Can I change the reason for extension of stay before the current one expires and get another years extension on the new one?

Yes

After the current extension is canceled you can apply for a one year extension.

OK Thanks.

How do I cancel the current one.  Can I simply go there and cancel it myself, or do I need some form of  documentation from my employer?

I'd like to change the reason for extension of stay before current one expires on Mach 1st if possible, so it gives me some time to change in case things don't go as planned at CW (which has happened a few times already with Works extensions being granted very touch and go with dates!)

3 minutes ago, Millian said:

How do I cancel the current one.  Can I simply go there and cancel it myself, or do I need some form of  documentation from my employer?

I'd like to change the reason for extension of stay before current one expires on Mach 1st if possible, so it gives me some time to change in case things don't go as planned at CW (which has happened a few times already with Works extensions being granted very touch and go with dates!)

You will need a letter from your employer stating the last day you will be working for them.

You will need to apply for the new extension on or before the date on the letter.

OK that's good, that means I can apply for the new extension based on marriage before March 1st which gives me time to sort out something else should things not go smoothly.

Will I be expected to change my original visa to a Non O at some point, or can I keep getting extensions based on marriage on a Non B visa indefinitely? 

18 minutes ago, Millian said:

Thanks I realise that now, but can I get indefinite extensions of stay based on marriage on that or will I have to get a Non O visa at some point?

No need to get a non-o visa in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

The business agency my company use for visa/permits are saying that they need to cancel my current visa before I can apply to change the reason for my extension of stay from employment to marraige.  

On 1/27/2023 at 11:09 AM, ubonjoe said:

You will need a letter from your employer stating the last day you will be working for them.

You will need to apply for the new extension on or before the date on the letter.

When you say letter here, is that what you also mean, cancel the previous visa? Or simply a letter stating my last day?

The agency are saying this is the process they need to follow:

1. Cancel the working visa before 28th February 2023
2. we have to cancel the work permit at the department of employment on the date of 28th following their rules.
3. You can have the receipt of work permit cancelation on 28th before noon. Then, you can change the reason of stay in the afternoon.

So they say I need to cancel my work permit and visa before I can change reason for extension of stay.  

However, it appears you are saying I can change my reason of stay before my current one and work permit has expired.

Edited by Millian

On 1/27/2023 at 7:53 AM, AustinRacing said:

Issued with a Non O extension?

I had no idea there was a home interview involved, don't think I've read that before.

Is it to ensure you are a real married couple?

2 hours ago, Millian said:

Issued with a Non O extension?

I had no idea there was a home interview involved, don't think I've read that before.

Is it to ensure you are a real married couple?

I’d say it is to verify your application where you state where you live, your wife etc. At immigration you’d need a witness who can vouch for you and wife. At the interview at home you need to have one of your neighbors to come in and vouch for you. This cannot be the same person that accompanied you to immigration.