Millions forced to skip meals as UK cost of living crisis deepens

Scott

Some laughing emoticons being used as derogatory comments have been removed.

This is trolling, the forum is not a cartoon forum, nor is it twitter or Line, if you disagree with a post then either move on or discuss.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I know a few pensioners back in the UK, no income beyond state pension.

They're doing OK, so I can't see how 'professionals' aren't coping.

Probably poor money management skills.

Agree 100%

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

It's a good thing energy costs haven't skyrocketed in the UK. Because in that unlikely event, people might have to choice between death by exposure or death by starvation.

"It's a good thing energy costs haven't skyrocketed in the UK."

But they have, and very drastically too, mostly due to greedy capitalists, making enormous profits while people, particularly the elderly, starving, freezing and dying because of it.

I cannot understand why the UK people are not revolting and protesting in the streets.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

Really? Thanks to the government, In the UK people no longer have to pay for heating? Because that's what "free" means.  

"In the UK people no longer have to pay for heating?" Maybe in some odd cases, but there is an article in the UK newspapers today of an 83 year old lady who died because she could not afford to heat her home.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How does that fit into the topic of this thread and what is the reason why you posted that ?

Entirely relevant. The amount of wealth a nation generates is X. If the rich 10% get 90% of X, that leaves the other 90% of the population to share 10% of X.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

"It's a good thing energy costs haven't skyrocketed in the UK."

But they have, and very drastically too, mostly due to greedy capitalists, making enormous profits while people, particularly the elderly, starving, freezing and dying because of it.

I cannot understand why the UK people are not revolting and protesting in the streets.

It takes the Brits a while to get to that stage, but eventually they may do so. Took the nurses almost a century after the NHS was created to go on strike, but they got there in the end.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

You said that heating was "free" in the UK. It was not free. It was subsidized. And even after the subsidies, the cost was still at historically high levels. 

Wear more clothes, sleep in a sleeping bag. As long as you keep the house above freezing, no point in wasting more money. When I was a lad there was always ice on the inside of the windows in winter. People have just got soft and spoiled. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Convenience stores charge more for that food, so use the difference to take the bus, OR use a bike and get exercise as well.

That would be OK if you are young to middle aged or live on a regular bus route.

If you are older or a pensioner, riding a bicycle is not that safe and bus routes have been cut back everywhere and I are getting very expensive as I understand it.

Having said that, many older people do know how to cook proper meals rather than convenience foods.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bangon04 said:

Guessing that many of the posters on this forum have worked hard for their retirement, have sometimes (often) been fleeced by a divorce settlement in their home country, and yet have still managed to provide for a "comfortable" later life. It should not be a surprise that they have little sympathy for those who appear incapable of financial self-management.

A “comfortable” late life in another country much cheaper than their own ????

Posting bitterly on a forum because they “worked hard” and have been “fleeced” is to what the poor and downtrodden should aspire?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, puchooay said:

Due to laziness, yes.

Yesterday I made a chicken casserole for 4 people. Total cost £3.80.

Chicken, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, spinach and red pepper. Served with jacket potatoes. 10 minutes prep, 50 minutes cooking time. 

Cheap, wholesome food with minimal fat content. Just a bit of effort needed.

But.. what did they fee the chicken with?

But I agree, a lot safer than one of those English breakfasts..

5 hours ago, JayClay said:

The responses in this thread are absolutely disgusting.

A bunch of pompous old out of touch retirees making totally incorrect assumptions about the kind of people that are using these services because they can't be bothered to do the slightest bit of research.

No, this is not limited to "people with tattoos", and it's not a case of a few chubbas not being able to afford an ice cream after their McDonalds.

We're not talking about uneducated, unskilled workers struggling a bit.

We're talking about families of paid professionals; teachers, nurses, police and firefighters. People who have studied hard, invested time and money in their education and career so that they could avoid situations like this. Yet for the last 10 years they've had governments impose real-term pay cuts and now with interest rates rising and inflation raging at double-digit levels they are left without enough money to feed and/or heat themselves and thier families.

Show a bit of deleted compassion.

I must assume this is meant as a joke, in which case 5 out of 10 for the attempt, otherwise take a serious reality check combined with a hefty degree of honest introspection.

45 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Entirely relevant. The amount of wealth a nation generates is X. If the rich 10% get 90% of X, that leaves the other 90% of the population to share 10% of X.

That graph wasn't about that subject though , it was about ..........., well, have a look yourself 

2 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

When her sons ask for snacks she can no longer afford, Aislinn Corey in London, lays down a blanket on the floor and plays “the picnic game.” She takes an apple collected from her preschool’s food bank and slices it in thirds to be shared. “We do it as an activity...so they don’t know that mummy is struggling.” She says dinners are often reduced to “pasta pasta pasta,” and she sometimes skips the meal entirely so there is more food for her children.

You shouldn't be giving your children junk food snacks.

The apple is better for them.

All these sob stories seem to involve single moms.

How many families with 2 working adults are going hungry?

The problem is not expensive food.

The problem is single moms!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

I must assume this is meant as a joke, in which case 5 out of 10 for the attempt, otherwise take a serious reality check combined with a hefty degree of honest introspection.

Why would you assume it is a joke?

5 hours ago, JayClay said:

The responses in this thread are absolutely disgusting.

A bunch of pompous old out of touch retirees making totally incorrect assumptions about the kind of people that are using these services because they can't be bothered to do the slightest bit of research.

No, this is not limited to "people with tattoos", and it's not a case of a few chubbas not being able to afford an ice cream after their McDonalds.

We're not talking about uneducated, unskilled workers struggling a bit.

We're talking about families of paid professionals; teachers, nurses, police and firefighters. People who have studied hard, invested time and money in their education and career so that they could avoid situations like this. Yet for the last 10 years they've had governments impose real-term pay cuts and now with interest rates rising and inflation raging at double-digit levels they are left without enough money to feed and/or heat themselves and thier families.

Show a bit of deleted compassion.

I general I agree with your sentiment, but you need to lighten up and realize sarcasm, possibly humor, when you see it?

• Like 1