Millions forced to skip meals as UK cost of living crisis deepens

Scott

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

You said that heating was "free" in the UK. It was not free. It was subsidized. And even after the subsidies, the cost was still at historically high levels. 

The Government credits customers account with a certain amount on money and thus customers do not have to pay any money and so its free 

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In my experience the western people most likely to eat unhealthy food are also the ones spending a lot of money on cigarettes and alcohol. Question of priorities, isn't it?

and they usually have enough money for the latest iphone......

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Really?

You can get a £400 discount to help with your energy bills over winter 2022 to 2023. 

https://www.gov.uk/get-help-energy-bills/getting-discount-energy-bill

Support with energy bills

Government is saving households £1,300 on their energy bills this winter through the Energy Price Guarantee and Energy Bill Support Scheme. You may also be eligible for benefits and grants offered by the government and energy suppliers.

36 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The Government credits customers account with a certain amount on money and thus customers do not have to pay any money and so its free 

I thought the government is paying the energy suppliers the difference between actual unit cost v subdized unit cost through the energy cap price.

Thus customers are receiving a reduction on actual cost, but still have to pay.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

And yet the UK government has billions of pounds for war in The Ukraine ???????? 

When her sons ask for snacks she can no longer afford, Aislinn Corey in London, lays down a blanket on the floor and plays “the picnic game.” She takes an apple collected from her preschool’s food bank and slices it in thirds to be shared. “We do it as an activity...so they don’t know that mummy is struggling.” She says dinners are often reduced to “pasta pasta pasta,” and she sometimes skips the meal entirely so there is more food for her children.

As the cost of groceries and heating homes have hit records signs of distress are everywhere. The BBC has published dozens of online recipes costing less than a pound, or about $1.23, per portion. Some schools have turned down their heaters and many communities have opened “warm spaces” — heated public rooms for people with cold homes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/25/world/europe/uk-cost-of-living-children.html

& the majority of the UK population supports the aid to Ukraine. I guess they are aware that those in Ukraine are paying with their lives for the ambitions of one man.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The comments on this thread were concerning obese people, people too lazy to cook decent meals, people that pay large for ciggies and alcohol/ drugs, and yes tattoos. The comments are not about the professionals you reference

Well that's a shame, because that's who the article is about...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

I suppose it's the Tories fault that people spend their money on tattoos, Playstations, beer and cigarettes before food?

It's the Tories fault people are too lazy to cook? 

How about personal responsibility? I used to eat for a pound a day when I was at Uni and nearing my overdraft limit. I'd skip the occasional meal. That's life. I didn't expect the government to put steak on my plate every night. Those luxuries came later after getting my degree, working for a decade and paying off my student loans.

I was fortunate enough to be under a Tory government so I did get a small grant. Labour removed that shortly after I graduated.

Same broad generalizations. 

I'm guessing you graduated in the mid 1990's. Prices have risen considerably since then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

When her sons ask for snacks she can no longer afford, Aislinn Corey in London, lays down a blanket on the floor and plays “the picnic game.” She takes an apple collected f

Can no longer afford snacks, junk food ?

Chocolate and crisps and snacks were made expensive to stop kids pigging out on that food and getting fat 

• Thanks 1

Hard to say the 'hunger' is alarming, when over indulgence is usually the effect of a few of those.   And are those same folks, giving up the fags & pints  ?

"The leading public health expert Sir Michael Marmot called the rise in hunger “alarming”, and told the Guardian it would have damaging health consequences for society’s worst off, including increased occurrences of stress, mental illness, obesity, diabetes and heart disease."

Maybe eating a little too much.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Credo said:

A big part of the problem is that so many people are relegated to eating very unhealthy food with a very high fat content.   

days of cooking and eating decent food ... Gone MC do ..KFC...pizza .. kebab..the list goes on ..junk food plus lazy people = obesity  simple

6 hours ago, Credo said:

A big part of the problem is that so many people are relegated to eating very unhealthy food with a very high fat content.   

So true, when you go to the markets here pig fat is the same price as the meat. And they use a lot of it. Also if people would cut down on the size of each meal they eat they would not be so fat.

• Thumbs Up 1