New UK passport fees confirmed

surat04

Full colour copy of the entire passport, including blank pages....? Nice and environmentally friendly.

I'd like to see VFS' data compliance policy and processes...especially around storage and disposal of this mountain of paper. I thought we were moving to digital storage...

1 hour ago, Scott Tracy said:

You can still get French cheese in UK. But I guess it depends on what you want...let the cheese travel, no need for you to.

I guess you overlooked my attempt at satire. It was a line from Delboy. Never mind. ????????????????

3 hours ago, puchooay said:

That's November 2023.

The post I quoted suggested freedom of movement had already ended.

I guess it was just another attempt at "all is doom and gloom". Never mind.

Freedom of movement allowed UK citizens to travel to mainland Europe and, if they wanted to, get a job there and stay for as long as they liked. No visa required, no work permit required, stay as long as you liked.

Freedom of movement has already ended.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Freedom of movement allowed UK citizens to travel to mainland Europe and, if they wanted to, get a job there and stay for as long as they liked. No visa required, no work permit required, stay as long as you liked.

Freedom of movement has already ended.

Oh. I see. 

Will they also ask for 90 day reports, reports when coming back from an overnight trip, to keep money in the bank for months on end, to have letters from banks and endless photo copies, to extend a stay every year? 

If not, I don't see how expats living in Thailand can complain.

13 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Also issued there and then in Thai embassy in London.

UK seems to be a second class service in comparison.

Yes, but how many countries will give you visa-free entry on your British passport compared to a Thai passport issued anywhere?

2 hours ago, puchooay said:

Oh. I see. 

Will they also ask for 90 day reports, reports when coming back from an overnight trip, to keep money in the bank for months on end, to have letters from banks and endless photo copies, to extend a stay every year? 

If not, I don't see how expats living in Thailand can complain.

But what else can they whine about?

(rhetorical)

5 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

Full colour copy of the entire passport, including blank pages....? Nice and environmentally friendly.

I'd like to see VFS' data compliance policy and processes...especially around storage and disposal of this mountain of paper. I thought we were moving to digital storage...

Are you a committed environmentalist or just  a casual tree hugger?

15 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Also issued there and then in Thai embassy in London.

UK seems to be a second class service in comparison.

Since when? My wife and daughter needed to supply stamped addressed envelopes. Passports arrived 2 weeks later. They were told all Thai passports are printed in Bangkok. 

Plus, applications must be done in person. UK passports can be done online and by post.

On 1/27/2023 at 8:24 AM, Caldera said:

Pretty steep prices for the atrocious service provided, based on countless reports.

And on top of these increases are, of course. the non-optional extras imposed on most of us by the need to make 2 gruelling trips to a rundown office block with an extremely silly name in Bangkok!

On 1/27/2023 at 3:30 PM, Scott Tracy said:

It's their HMPO masters against whom you should be railing in this particular instance IMHO. They are the ones who have inflicted the paper-guzzling With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience on those of us living in Thailand (while encouraging the use of their online renewal service for expats living in practically every other country on this great planet of ours)! VFS are merely their vassals.

22 hours ago, puchooay said:

Plus, applications must be done in person. UK passports can be done online and by post.

UK passports also have to be applied for in person in Thailand. This is because HMPO are clearly in considerable difficulty in grasping the "advanced" technologies involved in providing even a snail mail renewal system, let alone an online system, at least as far as Thailand is concerned, for some mysterious reason!

Edited by OJAS

On 1/27/2023 at 8:58 PM, NanLaew said:

Are you a committed environmentalist or just  a casual tree hugger?

So in your eyes it's only Thai Immigration we should be railing against as regards the amount of paperwork generated at extension of stay time, then, is it?

Whereas we should, on the other hand in your eyes, be presumably skipping up and down our sois in a state of unbridled ecstasy, fulsomely singing the praises of HMPO to the very highest heavens as being the very best thing since sliced bread for the amount of paperwork generated at passport renewal time for us Brits here in LOS?

35 minutes ago, OJAS said:

UK passports also have to be applied for in person in Thailand. This is because HMPO are clearly in considerable difficulty in grasping the "advanced" technologies involved in providing even a snail mail renewal system, let alone an online system, at least as far as Thailand is concerned, for some mysterious reason!

Maybe so but Thais have to apply in person in any country. Including their own.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Little bit off topic but I just renewed my uk passport from Switzerland filled form online paid I think £103 which included 2x dhl them sending new and old passports separately to me.Took exactly 2 weeks even though said can take up to 11 weeks..with passport office mailing you every step 

16 hours ago, puchooay said:

Maybe so but Thais have to apply in person in any country. Including their own.

But at least they get their new passports mailed to them, so I understand. No need for second trips to rundown office blocks to collect them in person in their case!

Also Thais have their mugshots taken as part of the renewal process. No need for them to spend ages beforehand trying to find a photographer who is capable of taking photos which comply strictly with over-fussy requirements. For us Brits here in LOS this can be easier said than done, particularly if we live in the boonies!

15 hours ago, Dave0206 said:

Little bit off topic but I just renewed my uk passport from Switzerland filled form online paid I think £103 which included 2x dhl them sending new and old passports separately to me.Took exactly 2 weeks even though said can take up to 11 weeks..with passport office mailing you every step 

I suspect that we Brits living in LOS can but dream of the day when HMPO will permit us to renew our passports with similar ease and grace......

Edited by OJAS
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/29/2023 at 2:10 PM, OJAS said:

I suspect that we Brits living in LOS can but dream of the day when HMPO will permit us to renew our passports with similar ease and grace......

...in the exactly same way as our Irish cousins, for instance, can (and, indeed, have to!) do right now in the real world ????

https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/thailand/passports/how-to-apply-for-a-passport/

Edited by OJAS