Join me the UK

On 1/26/2023 at 9:21 AM, freedomnow said:

If you think you can survive on £70 a week on unemployment benefit with food costs going up along with heating costs on average £2500-3000 you are joking...it's either food or heat for those breadline...generous...what a joke...

My UK place in 20/21 for gas/electric about £1700...now 22/23 it will hit £3000 a year for same useage.

Perhaps if one had made better personal lifestyle choices in previous years?

On 1/26/2023 at 10:10 AM, soi3eddie said:

If they worked 12 hours a day, 6 days a week as many Thais do then there would not be a problem.

yeah, so you would have everyone working ridiculously long hours.

maybe things would be much worse with you in charge.

maybe they should ban free speech.

Edited by save the frogs
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I used to work evenings/nights, 3hr total commute, 12hr shift, often 13 shifts in 14 days.

Didn't ever consider it unusual, did what I had to support my wife and kids.

Very many people in the UK work two jobs in order to get by.

Nevertheless that is no protection against the gap between inflation and pay increases driving living standards down and poverty up.

Hard work is no guarantee against poverty.

https://www.jrf.org.uk/economic-insecurity/in-work-poverty

https://www.cipd.co.uk/knowledge/culture/well-being/employee-financial-well-being/in-work-poverty/introduction#gref

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Quite right. 

Aswell as hard work one must be aware of simple economising. One must take care not to over stretch one's finances just because things are going well. Don't buy things one doesn't need. Prepare for possible harder times, price rises, interest rate rises( when they are only 1.5% there is only one way that can go) and follow advice our ancestors gave us. "Save for a rainy day".

There hasn't been 13 years of hardship. Things were very good up to Covid, Ukraine War and, to some extent, Brexit. There was plenty of time to save and prepare.

What does confuse me is this. Those who voted Remain on the basis that Brexit was going to be a disaster, appear to have ignored their own predictions. Many continued to spend spend spend instead of save save save to enable them to survive. Strange.

As it turned out, thus far, effects of Brexit alone are difficult to isolate. Covid and the government spending, to help those in financial strife, has ravaged the economy.

That said, high inflation is only months old. In previous years both private and public sector salary increases were out pacing inflation in a good percentage of industries. 

Some people will not listen and learn and will therefore alway struggle.

I’m not sure how you determined the particular spending / saving habits of ‘Remain voters’, so I’ll leave that as one of those almost certainly unsubstantiated arguments.

With regards to this claim:

“ That said, high inflation is only months old. In previous years both private and public sector salary increases were out pacing inflation in a good percentage of industries.

The ONS begs to differ, wage increases have been below inflation for most of the time since 2008: 

D5441482-2BF7-4F9C-89FB-C770DEDA46F5.thumb.png.5653ba02bb5038bb721d33003a789e5e.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45875599.amp

Edited by Chomper Higgot

15 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m not sure how you determined the particular spending / saving habits of ‘Remain voters’, so I’ll leave that as one of those almost certainly unsubstantiated arguments.

With regards to this claim:

“ That said, high inflation is only months old. In previous years both private and public sector salary increases were out pacing inflation in a good percentage of industries.

The ONS begs to differ, wage increases have been below inflation for most of the time since 2008: 

D5441482-2BF7-4F9C-89FB-C770DEDA46F5.thumb.png.5653ba02bb5038bb721d33003a789e5e.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45875599.amp

Just like your claims pensioners are well taken care of, no mention of "some" or "most", so you obviously meant "all". You regularly make claims based on personal views or experiences. Only right you allow others to do so.

I've just done a Google search of wage rises prior to 2022. Lots of articles showing above inflation rises. I won't post links. The last time I posted links to disprove a claim of uours you ignored them.

Seems to be trait of yours.

• Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Just like your claims pensioners are well taken care of, no mention of "some" or "most", so you obviously meant "all". You regularly make claims based on personal views or experiences. Only right you allow others to do so.

I've just done a Google search of wage rises prior to 2022. Lots of articles showing above inflation rises. I won't post links. The last time I posted links to disprove a claim of uours you ignored them.

Seems to be trait of yours.

You can do all the Google searches you wish, I’ll stick with the official Office of National Statistics data.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You can do all the Google searches you wish, I’ll stick with the official Office of National Statistics data.

Your issue is selective reading. You acknowledge the bits you like but ignore anything that may hinder your point of view.

Your graph and link shows average wages.

My post I said " salary increases were out pacing inflation in a good percentage of industries."

You tried to disprove what i said by posting figures for a different arguement.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Your issue is selective reading. You acknowledge the bits you like but ignore anything that may hinder your point of view.

Your graph and link shows average wages.

My post I said " salary increases were out pacing inflation in a good percentage of industries."

You tried to disprove what i said by posting figures for a different arguement.

A reliance upon the official ONS data is not an ‘issue’.