Do you carry your passport with you?

Do you carry your passport with you?  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

That does not show your visa or extension status. Which is what the cops need to see.  

Do cops have any knowledge or jurisdiction at all for Visa status? Is that not immigration? I cannot even imagine a scenario where you are walking down the road and police would stop you and ask for your visa status.... lol

11 minutes ago, tingtongfarang said:

Do carry my passport? Not on your nelly, i even travelled by car to south thailand from bkk and never thought to take my passport, i check into resorts and hotels with just my driving licence, i did get asked one resort in samui for my passport but they accepted my DL in the end.

Even though the hotel booking was in my wife's name a hotel in Phuket insisted upon seeing my passport. They looked at all the pages (and discussed) the extension stamps. 

3 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Unless you have a bank account with Bangkok Bank. They recently changed the acceptance of the DL as legitimation for transactions. Recently tried to pay my condo bill using the DL as legitimation as before. No more. Passport please.

I Bank  with Siam commercial   they have only ever accepted passport,    i did try one time  with  licence  & copy of passport,  but was rejected, copy passport,  and  visa  is always accepted  by the police in my case

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BeerAttractedPerson said:

Some years ago I was on the back of a motosai headed home to Ratchada. On the small dark sois connecting soi 19 behind T21 to asoke main road, 2 cops pulled us over. It was late at night. First they padded me down, looked in my wallet, pockets etc, found nothing. Then asked for my passport. I only had a paper copy with the main page and entry stamp. They looked and told me my papers were fake. I said no they are not. They told my motosai driver to go away and I was alone with them. They kept saying my documents were fake and I'm in trouble. I assured them I just flew in from Singapore the week before and all legit. This all happened in a dark soi with them shining their flashlight in my face. Finally I had to call a cop I knew and he spoke to them. They told me to f..k off and lots of cursing in thai. Not a nice experience....

They were either fake police or rogue police deliberately trying to extort you. 

This happened to me twice in dark back soi’s (between Asoke & Ekammai) - One time alone, another time with a friend. 

Both times the BiB asked for our / my passport - I said no. 

Both times the BiB asked us / me to get out - I said no. 

Each time I’d only opened the window 1”.

Not a safe feeling, I was ready to ask the driver to go to the nearest police station.

Fortunately the BiB (two of them on one motorcycle) seemed to give up and let me go. 

(this was about 10 / 12 years ago)

I suspect that on both occasions these were either fake police officers or rogue police officers riding around the dark Soi’s looking for foreigners in a taxi to extort out of the public eye. 

That said - while these events clearly happen, they are still extremely rare. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

As I understand it, it is not required to carry a passport by Law... 

'It is required to carry government issued photo ID or be able to present such within a reasonable time frame’ (and no, I don’t have a link to that before someone asks).

While walking from where I'd parked my car to the shops in the local town (app. 9 km from house) I was accosted, by three uniformed and armed Immigration officers (I recognized the senior officer, from seeing him in the office), with a demand to see my Passport.

I was not carrying it only had a copy of relevant pages - was informed that under Immigration Law I am required to carry it at all times, as they are unable to validate copies, I said that I was confused, as I understood the head of the RTP had said recently that foreigners were not required to.

He then demanded to know where I lived, told him and proffered both Pink Card and Thai Driving License as proof of address, response was "they mean nothing to us" and waved them away.

With the statement "you're required to carry your passport at all times" he handed back the copies and stalked away.

Assume he failed to find any foreigners in hotel without TM30, so decided to pick on me, wrong place at wrong time. For a short period after I did carry my passport, but now have reverted to just copies of relevant pages - full size copies not credit card size as before.

13 minutes ago, smutcakes said:
19 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

That does not show your visa or extension status. Which is what the cops need to see.  

Do cops have any knowledge or jurisdiction at all for Visa status? Is that not immigration? I cannot even imagine a scenario where you are walking down the road and police would stop you and ask for your visa status.... lol

No...  Theoretically (legally) Police can only enquire of your Immigration status (Visa status) if an Immigration Police Officer is present. 

But...  the Police don’t even know their own regulations, their training is poor, they are not concerned if they break the law or fail to follow protocol, they learn ‘procedure’ and ‘regulations’ from their senior peers who in turn learned from their peers etc...  in doing so they have learned a great deal of ‘made-up-s#it’....   

.... try and argue the law with an entitled police officer though - Telling any Thai they are ‘wrong’ is difficult enough, telling a policeman at a checkpoint that he can’t check your immigration status... good luck !!!...   

They can ask for ID though, so when they ask for Passport, what they usually mean is ID... Some may mean Passport as they believe that is the law, but government issued ID is good enough (legally speaking), but then that goes back to what the Policeman himself understands the law to be. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

About 12 years ago, I was talking with a local traffic police officer (ex-University Graduate in English), and the conversation got to passports, he indicated to me that only Immigration Officers can demand your passport, a local officer would probably not even have seen one before.

See my post a couple of minutes ago re being stopped in the street. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think I met you in a Pattaya bar a couple of years ago, it was a proud moment talking with an SBS hero...  :ninja::giggle:

I doubt that you met me. My wife and stepdaughter are here permanently a bit more than 4 years. We do not frequent the bar scene. And anyway I would not know what SBS is - let alone an SBS hero. Must have been some other guy.

11 minutes ago, moogradod said:
29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think I met you in a Pattaya bar a couple of years ago, it was a proud moment talking with an SBS hero...  :ninja::giggle:

I doubt that you met me. My wife and stepdaughter are here permanently a bit more than 4 years. We do not frequent the bar scene. And anyway I would not know what SBS is - let alone an SBS hero. Must have been some other guy.

I was stood next to someone with a Nerf gun...   Must have spotted you from a distance !! ????

( I think you perhaps missed the joke that everyone claims they are a tough guy online, the tease being that Pattaya is full of guys who a claim they are ex-special forces -(Special Boat Service / Special Air Service etc) hard a nails and could not be ’taken’...   they’d need to be ’shot from a distance’ !!! ) 

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I was stood next to someone with a Nerf gun...   Must have spotted you from a distance !! ????

( I think you perhaps missed the joke that everyone claims they are a tough guy online, the tease being that Pattaya is full of guys who a claim they are ex-special forces -(Special Boat Service / Special Air Service etc) hard a nails and could not be ’taken’...   they’d need to be ’shot from a distance’ !!! ) 

Indeed. Missed it. I do not know what a Nerf gun is either. I have never been involved with the military. As this is an English speaking newsgroup most have had a relation to the British or US Army and know some related terms. I am only German and have never served there either.

But I have around 50 years of intense Self Defense experience which gives me a certain confidence not to be "taken" at least easily if the bout would not last more then a few seconds (which it should not anyway). With 67 years I have no more special endurance. Think of that what you will. It is not meant to boast myself as a tough special forces guy. But I suspect that to get my passport might be not so easy as it may seem ???? if you see me. Simple as that. Shooting me from a distance would be indeed the easier method of choice.

5 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

google images can be your friend, just to understand the poster's intent.

Nerf footballs......................wow, the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. Now I know what a nerf gun is. And a nerf football !! And the intention - which is not to be taken seriously as so many times with posts here. But why be serious all the time ? Thank you all and do with your passports as you see appropriate. Good luck and please never loose one. Especially not here in Thailand - just think what this could trigger ???? depending on the timing.

58 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Indeed. Missed it. I do not know what a Nerf gun is either. I have never been involved with the military. As this is an English speaking newsgroup most have had a relation to the British or US Army and know some related terms. I am only German and have never served there either.

But I have around 50 years of intense Self Defense experience which gives me a certain confidence not to be "taken" at least easily if the bout would not last more then a few seconds (which it should not anyway). With 67 years I have no more special endurance. Think of that what you will. It is not meant to boast myself as a tough special forces guy. But I suspect that to get my passport might be not so easy as it may seem ???? if you see me. Simple as that. Shooting me from a distance would be indeed the easier method of choice.

The irony is not lost on me that it is German who did not get the attempted humour !!... 

Of all the nationalities I could have picked to target with some light hearted ribbing, I end up choosing a German !!!.....     Thanks for ‘ticking the stereotype box - no offence of course, I like Germans you make great beer and sausages !!!! 

Nerf Guns = popular foam bullet firing gun. 

Back to topic - I’m sure your passport is safe. IF you are carrying it around at all times, how do you keep it dry ?...   You keep it in a ‘carry bag’.... aren’t you worried about ‘drive by bag snatch’ sort of thing ?

(as rare as it is, it happens - mostly to females though). 

• Like 2

On 1/27/2023 at 1:21 PM, BritManToo said:

That's not what the law says.

As far as I can see any photo ID from almost any official source (inside or outside the country) would fulfil the requirements.

Correct. The question is an example of the Complex Question fallacy.

Either the poster has already been told, doesn't believe it, and wants to take refuge in the opinion of the peanut gallery. Or, he's just ignorant.

Topic has been done to death over the years.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The irony is not lost on me that it is German who did not get the attempted humour !!... 

Of all the nationalities I could have picked to target with some light hearted ribbing, I end up choosing a German !!!.....     Thanks for ‘ticking the stereotype box - no offence of course, I like Germans you make great beer and sausages !!!! 

Nerf Guns = popular foam bullet firing gun. 

Back to topic - I’m sure your passport is safe. IF you are carrying it around at all times, how do you keep it dry ?...   You keep it in a ‘carry bag’.... aren’t you worried about ‘drive by bag snatch’ sort of thing ?

(as rare as it is, it happens - mostly to females though). 

Well, at least I could contribute to your wellbeing then. Surely Brits do attribute a certain non humorous character to Germans, but this is not entirely true - I for example even like the specific British humour, something that cannot be said about your breakfast style (if you could at least leave out the beans it would be much better).

The secret of carrying a passport with you regardless of weather, sweat etc.: The PP goes into a plastic bag first. It is for sure a coincidence, but there are plastic bags available into which a German PP fits perfectly. This is then put into a bag which does as well fit exactly and is closed with the zip of the bag. It is then worn under the arm at the side of the body under the shirt. It can hardly be recognized that there is anything underneath the shirt. It cannot be ripped off your body because everything is under the shirt and cannot be snatched.

• Haha 2

The poll and thread is weak, but  it it is a continuous theme last now with a high profiled celebrity from Taiwan.  who claim she got in trouble with Thai police because she did not carry her passport with her. Myself never had any problems with police  for 20 years, even travelled the whole country with car and motorbikes, as well lived quite a few places included islands with bad rumors and myths as well the more exposed beach cities. Not once been asked to show my passport outside emigration except for renting wericles or check in to hotels. 

"Charlene An says she was taken to a Thai police station where she was harassed and extorted

After taking her and her group to a police station, where they were kept for more than two hours, screamed at, harassed and searched, An says police took her to a quiet corner of the station and told her “Everybody pays 27,000 baht to be let go

Quick tips for dealing with police in Thailand"

Source

https://tastythailand.com/taiwanese-actress-charlene-an-will-never-visit-thailand-again-after-allegedly-being-ripped-off-by-thai-police/

World Nomads tips for dealing with Thai police. Seriously an Insurance company feel the need to inform their customers about corrupt police!

Avoid bribery

Watch out for fake police

No matter what, stay calm

Do not argue with Thai police. This is not your homeland; things work differently here.

Always carry a photocopy of your passport with you to use as ID.

Try to get a witness to your interaction with a Thai police officer, to back up your version of events.

Save the phone number of your country’s Thai-based embassy in your phone. If you’re being treated unfairly by a police officer, immediately call your embassy.

Be especially wary of police who approach you at night on the street near one of Thailand’s touristy entertainment precincts. These locations are where travelers most commonly run into unscrupulous officers.

https://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/southeast-asia/thailand/police-what-you-need-to-know

Edited by Hummin
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Well, at least I could contribute to your wellbeing then. Surely Brits do attribute a certain non humorous character to Germans, but this is not entirely true - I for example even like the specific British humour, something that cannot be said about your breakfast style (if you could at least leave out the beans it would be much better).

No beans... utter blaspheme - our nation would become devoid of flatulence humour in no time...  we’d have to start eating fermented cabbage to get the same effect. 

The secret of carrying a passport with you regardless of weather, sweat etc.: The PP goes into a plastic bag first. It is for sure a coincidence, but there are plastic bags available into which a German PP fits perfectly.

I don’t believe in coincidences when it comes to German Engineering...  the German Passport was most certainly designed with the dimensions of that bag in mind.

This is then put into a bag which does as well fit exactly and is closed with the zip of the bag. It is then worn under the arm at the side of the body under the shirt. It can hardly be recognized that there is anything underneath the shirt. It cannot be ripped off your body because everything is under the shirt and cannot be snatched.

Surely thats not comfortable, especially in the heat and humidity of Thailand ......

... and eiw... how often do you wash the bag ??? 

I wonder if some may be taking their passport and vital document protection with a little too much paranoia / concern.....    

Mine remains in my Safe when at home. When travelling it remains in a hotel safe or locked in my baggage....  IF anything gets stolen the Police get involved. 

The biggest measure of security I have is that I also have a second Passport - IF my primary passport gets lost or stolen, I have backup and can still travel with the same degree of convenience (and then also apply for another ’second passport) - I think this is a far better option than being perpetually concerned for the loss of my passport.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moogradod said:

Unless you have a bank account with Bangkok Bank. They recently changed the acceptance of the DL as legitimation for transactions. Recently tried to pay my condo bill using the DL as legitimation as before. No more. Passport please.

That's a complete non-issue for me, as I make all payments online.

In average, I visit each of the banks I have accounts with only once every few years, to get an ATM card replaced or something similar. No big deal to take the passport then, as I have to remember to take my passbook anyway. 

24 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Surely thats not comfortable, especially in the heat and humidity of Thailand ......

No problem at all !

... and eiw... how often do you wash the bag ??? 

Acceptable.

I wonder if some may be taking their passport and vital document protection with a little too much paranoia / concern.....    

Mine remains in my Safe when at home. When travelling it remains in a hotel safe or locked in my baggage....  IF anything gets stolen the Police get involved. 

That does not help so much. Losing a passport = Hassles, big and small (see below)

The biggest measure of security I have is that I also have a second Passport - IF my primary passport gets lost or stolen, I have backup and can still travel with the same degree of convenience (and then also apply for another ’second passport) - I think this is a far better option than being perpetually concerned for the loss of my passport.

I was not aware that you can apply for a backup copy. How about all the visa, stamps etc. ?

As I said: I lost a passport two times abroad. Once in Spain, it was recovered. And once in the Philippines, never to be found again. They managed to produce a new one within ONE week only. The problem was that the picture in it deteriorated quickly - looked like a DIY Polaroid and every time I passed a border with this PP since then it was "...get out of the car please...." or "Just a moment we need to check something ...."

11 minutes ago, Caldera said:

That's a complete non-issue for me, as I make all payments online.

Online banking  in Thailand is a No-No for me. The legitimation change is no problem, for me, too because in my case I carry the passport anyway. For my Thai wife other rules apply, she has a nice small ID-Card.

12 minutes ago, moogradod said:

I was not aware that you can apply for a backup copy. How about all the visa, stamps etc. ?

[Second Passport] - I’m not sure for other nationals. 

For Brits we just need a letter from our employer stating why we need a second passport. 

i.e. living overseas, needing to use passport at the same time as applying for visa’s for other countries etc.

Visa stamps can be transferred into the second passport at immigration - as they do with a new passport. We face this issue each time our passport is renewed anyway....  Its still a hassle, but less so than having to apply for a new passport then going through the process. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

[Second Passport] - I’m not sure for other nationals. 

For Brits we just need a letter from our employer stating why we need a second passport. 

i.e. living overseas, needing to use passport at the same time as applying for visa’s for other countries etc.

Travel in and out of middle east and Israel 

6 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Online banking  in Thailand is a No-No for me. The legitimation change is no problem, for me, too because in my case I carry the passport anyway. For my Thai wife other rules apply, she has a nice small ID-Card.

You put up a lot of your own brick walls to make your life a little more complicated. 

Online Banking adds huge convenience in Thailand...  Carrying around your passport on your person (close to the body at all times can’t be comfortable, I’d hate it...    What about going for swim, playing sports etc... walking around, it’d get hot and sticky where the bag touches the body etc...  

25 minutes ago, John Drake said:

I always carry my passport, so they can identify my body when I'm eventually run over by some driver on Thai streets and roads.

I go even one step further. The plastic bag with the PP contains as well a small dated and signed paper that serves as an immediate permit for my wife to act on my behalf in all matters. It contains as well the contact details of my lawyer who acts based on my last will and living will I have set up with him.

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You put up a lot of your own brick walls to make your life a little more complicated. 

Online Banking adds huge convenience in Thailand...  Carrying around your passport on your person (close to the body at all times can’t be comfortable, I’d hate it...    What about going for swim, playing sports etc... walking around, it’d get hot and sticky where the bag touches the body etc...  

Nothing complicated. It is all as I want it to be and this is what counts. The other issue (swimming etc.) I answered already in a previous post. Either my wife takes care of it or when we swim together the important things are placed in the safe of the hotel reception against a receipt. Not in the safe of the hotel room. Paranoia ? Better that and safe as possible. I started to travel far away about 52 years ago. A lot of my own and the experience of others is reflected in my procedures.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

it it is a continuous theme last now with a high profiled celebrity from Taiwan.  who claim she got in trouble with Thai police because she did not carry her passport with her.

That ISN'T what she claimed.

During the questioning of the van’s occupants, Charlene An alleges Thai police told her the visa she was carrying was not valid, as it should be printed in her passport with an official emblem.

So your survey should be, "Do you have your visa printed in your passport with an official emblem?"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1