Do you carry your passport with you?

Do you carry your passport with you?  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Been here for 40+ years and travelled to every province by road.  Never carried my PP with me on most trips.

Only once, about 3 years ago, was I stopped at a check point and asked to produce my passport.

The location was the highway connecting Bangkok with Nakorn Pathom Province (Borom Rachachonanee) -- inbound at about the Sai 2 intersection in mid-morning.  It was close to New Years Day.

The officer was polite and professional.  I showed my photocopy of the PP and relevant pages.

He said I was supposed to have the passport in my possession.

Luckily, we were speaking Thai, and I engaged him in some casual conversation.  That seemed to do the trick and he waved me on.

Those who say that you should pretend not to speak Thai when accosted by a police officer are giving bad advice.

Even if your Thai is basic, speak Thai whenever you can with an officer; I guarantee that most will appreciate that you are trying to acculturate, and usually be lenient.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BigStar said:

That ISN'T what she claimed.

During the questioning of the van’s occupants, Charlene An alleges Thai police told her the visa she was carrying was not valid, as it should be printed in her passport with an official emblem.

So your survey should be, "Do you have your visa printed in your passport with an official emblem?"

I will start drink now, and not post for a week! ????

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

Been here for 40+ years and travelled to every province by road.  Never carried my PP with me on most trips.

Only once, about 3 years ago, was I stopped at a check point and asked to produce my passport.

The location was the highway connecting Bangkok with Nakorn Pathom Province (Borom Rachachonanee) -- inbound at about the Sai 2 intersection in mid-morning.  It was close to New Years Day.

The officer was polite and professional.  I showed my photocopy of the PP and relevant pages.

He said I was supposed to have the passport in my possession.

Luckily, we were speaking Thai, and I engaged him in some casual conversation.  That seemed to do the trick and he waved me on.

Those who say that you should pretend not to speak Thai when accosted by a police officer are giving bad advice.

Even if your Thai is basic, speak Thai whenever you can with an officer; I guarantee that most will appreciate that you are trying to acculturate, and usually be lenient.

My encounters, the BiB seemed to like trying out their English, and me saluting them.....:stoner:

• Love It 1