Do you carry your passport with you?

Do you carry your passport with you?  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Re: Passport

I have a picture of the following in my Phone (and my wife's phone in case I forget mine ???? )

- Passport Face Page

- Last Extension

- Tm6 (if you have it)

- Last Entry Stamp

- Last 90 Day Report

Edited by MJCM
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Thank you for your very much appreciated comment. A good weekend to you to Sir, seems you need it, and a pet on your back. Wish a nice evening as well, just  in case this thread ruined it for you. Hopefully you feel better tomorow ❤️

Spare me your irony 

• Haha 2

The vote does not provide the main option: "Yes, I carry my passport with me all the time". Only refers to a copy.

I personally carry a correctly dimensioned bag with my original passport (not a copy, there is one in my redundant file system) in a water proof cover and my Thai driving license, credit card around the neck all the time. The only time I have to deposit those documents somewhere else is if my wife and myself go swim together. Then the documents are in the hotel safe (not the one in the room, at the reception against a receipt).

16 minutes ago, connda said:

Do you know you have to carry a passport all the time by law?

Attribution.  Please provide a link to the law, otherwise it's opinion and not fact.

This writer seems very sure. How he knows is the question? 2,000 baht fine for not carrying your passport with you thickens the plot!  https://thailandtravelessentials.com/do-you-need-to-carry-a-passport-in-thailand/

5 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:
22 minutes ago, connda said:

Do you know you have to carry a passport all the time by law?

Attribution.  Please provide a link to the law, otherwise it's opinion and not fact.

This writer seems very sure. How he knows is the question? 2,000 baht fine for not carrying your passport with you thickens the plot!  https://thailandtravelessentials.com/do-you-need-to-carry-a-passport-in-thailand/

Thats just a link to someone else’s opinion... you may as well quote someone from this forum.

In the enigma that is the muddied legal waters of Thailand the actual law on this seems difficult to fine, yet there are many articles, even embassy webpages which state foreigners must carry their passport. 

Yet, I’ve never seen this in any of the Thai laws or in any legal Thai documentation. 

What I understand from the Thai law is that people must carry government issued photo Thai ID. 

This also passes over to foreigners, who, in lieu of a Thai Identity card must carry a government issued Photo ID (or present such in a reasonable time frame).

- I remember reading this in an official document way back, but have not been able to find it since. 

There have been numerous announcements by various chief’s of police that foreigners do not need to carry their Passport, other ID or a photo-copy is acceptable. 

Then there are also announcements by various other authority figures stating that foreigners should carry their ID !!!.... 

There - Clear as mud. 

Reality - Don’t bother, its not worth loosing your passport. Carry an *alternative which is acceptable 99.9% of the times on the very rare occasion you are asked.

*Alternative: Photocopy / Photo on Phone / Thai DL / Pink ID

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, connda said:

I carry my driver licenses because you're legally obligated to carry it when you drive.  I also carry my pink card (just because).  I use my DL for ID. 

I keep snapshots of the first page of my passport and my visa stamp on my phone.

If Thai authorities want to see my passport while I'm driving within a hour from my residence, they can come to my house (i.e., Lamphun and CM) where most of my driving occurs. 

If I'm on travel, I carry it with me in a pack which stays with me.  Carrying it around routinely is unnecessary and a risk.  It's a complete PITA if you lose it or if it's stolen.  The only other time is if I need it to do business at the bank or if I'm extending my extension to stay (90 day reports online works like a charm now and I've done my reporting online this year :thumbsup:)

Exactly this.... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Only time I don't carry my passport is when myself and Sniffy (dog) are out and about by ourselves.  Will have wallet (DL & pink ID) & phone.  Usually only in our Amphur.

If with wife, usually means shopping or going out for a munch, so I'll have my bag with me, which wallet & phone will occupy the appropriate pockets, along with everything else I think I may need; PP, yellow book, bank book, money stash, knife, reading glasses, toothpick, tissue, pen, water PPM pen ????

All things important, I prefer not to lose, or may need.  If wife not in house, then bag comes with me, as never left in the house unattended.

i feel de ja vu with this comment for some reason :)

Some years ago I was on the back of a motosai headed home to Ratchada. On the small dark sois connecting soi 19 behind T21 to asoke main road, 2 cops pulled us over. It was late at night. First they padded me down, looked in my wallet, pockets etc, found nothing. Then asked for my passport. I only had a paper copy with the main page and entry stamp. They looked and told me my papers were fake. I said no they are not. They told my motosai driver to go away and I was alone with them. They kept saying my documents were fake and I'm in trouble. I assured them I just flew in from Singapore the week before and all legit. This all happened in a dark soi with them shining their flashlight in my face. Finally I had to call a cop I knew and he spoke to them. They told me to f..k off and lots of cursing in thai. Not a nice experience....

• Thanks 1

What type of gimp carry their passport with them... your chance of being stopped and asked for a passport are about a millon times less than the chance of losing it.

Even if on the tiny chance the police stopped you and just had to see your passport i am sure you can think of something to settle the situation on the miniscule chance of it happening once every 20 years.

If you walk around in a permanent state of panic of the police just take a photo copy.. presumably most have a drivers licence on them anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Here I am. I carry my passport with me. And partially you are even correct with the above. But I guess you need some explanation to fully appreciate my decision and overcome some shortsight.

I have lost my passport twice while travelling in foreign countries. So I know of the importance of not losing the passport. And this is exactly why I carry it on my body all the time. This has primarily nothing to do with the ability to present the document to authorities (this is only a nice by-product, although some institutions have recently changed to insist on the passport instead of the Drving License as legitimation).

A well protected bag to carry it with you well installed is the safest place I can think of. Hotel Safe ? Never. Safe at home ? Unless you have a really really good fireproof one, nope again. Mugging then ? You would need to shoot me at a distance otherwise good luck.

I'm another one. Once woke up in hospital following a collapse. First thing they asked; 'Passport please'. Another reason is the 'Tabien madness' in my house. My Mrs loses her house and vehicle books all the time. I fear my passport would also disappear.  

22 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Here I am. I carry my passport with me. And partially you are even correct with the above. But I guess you need some explanation to fully appreciate my decision and overcome some shortsight.

I have lost my passport twice while travelling in foreign countries. So I know of the importance of not losing the passport. And this is exactly why I carry it on my body all the time. This has primarily nothing to do with the ability to present the document to authorities (this is only a nice by-product, although some institutions have recently changed to insist on the passport instead of the Drving License as legitimation).

A well protected bag to carry it with you well installed is the safest place I can think of. Hotel Safe ? Never. Safe at home ? Unless you have a really really good fireproof one, nope again. Mugging then ? You would need to shoot me at a distance otherwise good luck.

One carry knife with them and one never leave the passport.

Well, Im a bit more relaxed person. I have a safe with my dicing weights in it, and passport is staying in my travel man bag with my credit cards and original insurance documents. 

Im quite relaxed with hotel safe, just touch every digits on the safe to make sure your fingerprints is all over the place ????

Do carry my passport? Not on your nelly, i even travelled by car to south thailand from bkk and never thought to take my passport, i check into resorts and hotels with just my driving licence, i did get asked one resort in samui for my passport but they accepted my DL in the end.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The only legal requirement is to carry photo ID produced by an official source.

DL from any country fulfils that requirement.

That does not show your visa or extension status. Which is what the cops need to see.  

16 minutes ago, actonion said:

Driving licence, and a  photocopy   credit card size  of  passport photo page, and current  visa, is enough

Unless you have a bank account with Bangkok Bank. They recently changed the acceptance of the DL as legitimation for transactions. Recently tried to pay my condo bill using the DL as legitimation as before. No more. Passport please.

• Thanks 1