Is red meat bad for you?

ozimoron

Red meat and the risk of bowel cancer

Red meat – such as beef, lamb and pork – is a good source of protein, vitamins and minerals, and can form part of a balanced diet. But eating a lot of red and processed meat increases your risk of bowel (colorectal) cancer.

That's why it's recommended that people who eat more than 90g (cooked weight) of red and processed meat a day cut down to 70g or less. This could help reduce your risk of bowel cancer.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/food-guidelines-and-food-labels/red-meat-and-the-risk-of-bowel-cancer/

New System Ranks Evidence for Health Risks of Eating Red Meat, Smoking, and More—But Critics Say It’s Overly Simplistic

Importantly, the new ratings do not show that eating red meat isn’t associated with certain health problems or that eating vegetables does not help protect against them.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-system-ranks-evidence-for-health-risks-of-eating-red-meat-smoking-and-more-but-critics-say-its-overly-simplistic/

One daily serving of unprocessed red meat — about the size of a deck of cards — was associated with a 13% increased risk of death from cardiovascular disease or cancer.

One daily serving of processed red meat — one hot dog or two slices of bacon — was associated with a 20% increased risk of death from cardiovascular disease or cancer.

https://www.scripps.org/news_items/4258-is-red-meat-bad-for-you

A little bit of what you fancy does you good ,   anything in excess can be bad for you

even water ..., eating a lot of beef here should not be a problem as its not very good, 

think I have had one steak here which I can say was good , the rest a waste of money.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

A little bit of what you fancy does you good ,   anything in excess can be bad for you

even water ..., eating a lot of beef here should not be a problem as its not very good, 

think I have had one steak here which I can say was good , the rest a waste of money.

regards Worgeordie

Pork is included as red meat and is widely eaten in Thailand.

To the title, as with everything ... moderation.

I await the 'Is water bad for you thread ?'

flour ... white vs whole vs brown

rice ...

carbs ...

sugar ...

coffee ...

alcohol ...

ganga ...

msg ...

salt ...

e-cigs ...

Must be true though ...

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

This very recent study suggests the evidence that red meat is unhealthy is weak:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-01968-z

It does not, however, disprove the hypothesis. I made no comment, just posted the research for information. Life isn't a test drive and I don't want to discount any credible research in the hope that it proves wrong. If the NiH and Mayo Clinic are claiming it's a risk at even moderate levels of consumption, I'm paying attention. There's also plenty of evidence that red meat may be bad for prostate enlargement.

Some studies found an increased risk of BPH in men who ate more red meat. But other studies found a decreased risk of BPH in men with a high total protein intake, especially protein intake of leaner forms of protein such as fish.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/benign-prostatic-hyperplasia/expert-answers/enlarged-prostate-and-diet/faq-20322773

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Life isn't a test drive and I don't want to discount any credible research in the hope that it proves wrong.

Up to you but personally I wouldn't live my life that way. If there's a 1 in 100 chance of a certain health outcome, then after a 20% increase it becomes 1.2 in 100. Hardly worth worrying about, especially if the evidence is weak.

Personally, I do follow a plant-based diet with moderate meat consumption because I like it and it makes me feel good. That's the best way to live life, not full of anxiety about all the things in the world that might kill you.

• Thumbs Up 2

None of us would be here today if it wasn't for red meat. Of course processed meat is totally different to proper meat. The real harm in the diet comes from

Sugar

Seed oils

Over consumption of carbohydrates/processed food/calories

Chemicals

Red meat is one of the most bioavailable sources of nutrition you can eat. Organ meats trumps that again. Ditch your multivitamin and eat the most nutrient dense food on the planet - a small portion of grass fed beef liver every day.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

We all die. Let's enjoy life before that happens.

You have a presumption that life is not enjoyable without red meat. Diet is just a matter of training. Some people don't like seafood. I ate everything until about 2 or 3 years ago. I'm constantly adding and removing stuff from my diet ans I learn more, a process that has been ongoing for several years.

I'd prefer to die in a healthy state, not suffering for months or years from a chronic disease or spending years disabled by heart attack or stroke.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yesterday white bread, today red meat... Will we discuss here tomorrow whether potato chips are unhealthy?

(Also, should 'Asean Now' be renamed 'Healthy Nutrition Now'?)

Yep, it will be chip's next......:licklips:

Chips.jpg.7e407b209c6b1b0a86459f85f2698277.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I had a couple of relatives living over 90 years. Some smoking and drinking and enjoying food. Sometimes I wonder how they survived without all that modern advice. 

17e1wp.jpg

I think some here take too much notice of "Links" they constantly read.....:omfg:..........................:cowboy:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yesterday white bread, today red meat... Will we discuss here tomorrow whether potato chips are unhealthy?

(Also, should 'Asean Now' be renamed 'Healthy Nutrition Now'?)

Tacos are bad for you, the bearded ones!

They will take your house, your money, and even your heart......