Options after 1 year marriage extension expires

My 1 marriage extension expires February 27. I was going to take the agent route to renew but that is not possible now, and I don't have the funds in the bank to apply myself.

So, just wondering what are my options now:

Could I get a temporary (tourism or other) extension (at Jomtien) after my marriage extension expires, then meanwhile put the money in my bank for 2 months before applying for the 1 year extension again?

Or must I leave the country, perhaps go to Laos and 1-year multi entry if that is still available? 

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife if you have not a applied for one since your last entry with a visa.

Thanks Joe, and then afterwards can I apply for the 1-year extension again once funds have matured for 2 months?

6 minutes ago, justsignedin said:

I have a feeling that I have already done a 2 month extension. How can tell the difference between a 2 month extension and a covid extension?

The reason for the extension should be written near to it in Thai.

Just now, Jack1988 said:

It's not risky if you use a trusted agency. A friend of mine use the same agency for many years, never had a problem!

Also for Marriage extensions? Do know that Marriage extensions are not approved at your local IO, but the regional HQ

2 minutes ago, justsignedin said:

Thanks once again Joe. Via an agent I (I'm told) I can do a retirement extension. If the need arose though, what would I have to do to get a work permit after getting a retirement extension? 

You can't get a work permit on a retirement extension. You would have to change to another extension.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, justsignedin said:

If I got the retirement extension, would it be easy enough for my employer to revert that to a business visa in order to apply for a work permit?

The problem is being able to apply for a work permit with a extension based upon retirement that is needed for a extension based upon working.

21 minutes ago, justsignedin said:

Thanks once again Joe. Via an agent I (I'm told) I can do a retirement extension. If the need arose though, what would I have to do to get a work permit after getting a retirement extension? 

you can also do a marriage extension using an agent!

6 minutes ago, justsignedin said:

If I got the retirement extension,..........

If you have intention to work then best to stick with extention based on marriage.

You need to work out if you have applied for 60 day extension to visit wife. 

The paperwork is very different to covid extensions. 

Plan B could include exit Thailand (border run) reenter visa exempt and place 400k in bank at some stage to obtain new non O.

That gives you 90 day stamp.

Also being a new entry you can obtain 60 day extension to visit wife. 

All to buy time to organize the 400k.

8 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

you can also do a marriage extension using an agent!

Messy and lot more expensive than retirement. 

Some agents don't even touch non O marriage and subsequent extension. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If you have intention to work then best to stick with extention based on marriage.

You need to work out if you have applied for 60 day extension to visit wife. 

The paperwork is very different to covid extensions. 

Plan B could include exit Thailand (border run) reenter visa exempt and place 400k in bank at some stage to obtain new non O.

That gives you 90 day stamp.

Also being a new entry you can obtain 60 day extension to visit wife. 

All to buy time to organize the 400k.

That sounds like a very good plan Drjack, thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, justsignedin said:

That sounds like a very good plan Drjack, thank you.

Keep in mind that for the non O marriage the 400k needs to be in the bank on the day you apply and for extension needs to have been in the bank for 2 months.

After the under consideration period you can use the funds as you see fit. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Keep in mind that for the non O marriage the 400k needs to be in the bank on the day you apply and for extension needs to have been in the bank for 2 months.

So if I did the visa run and got 45 day exempt I then have 45 days to get the money in the bank?

Can I do the visa run before my current extension expires?, or should it be on the day?

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If he has to go to an agent there will be no funds to use as he sees fit, or he could have gotten the extension legally for 1900 baht.

31 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Messy and lot more expensive than retirement. 

Some agents don't even touch non O marriage and subsequent extension. 

There are agents that can do it easy and why messy? Retirement has many requirements as well and more money to show at immigration, 800k if am not wrong, while marriage is only 400k

26 minutes ago, justsignedin said:

So if I did the visa run and got 45 day exempt I then have 45 days to get the money in the bank?

Can I do the visa run before my current extension expires?, or should it be on the day?

You do not have a reentry permit so you can exit anytime you want prior to expiry of your permit.

Keep in mind the 45 days is (at this stage) available till March 31.

To apply for the non O marriage you need 400k on the day you apply and must apply with minimum 15 days remaining on your permission of stay. 

If more time is required to come up with the 400k you can apply for additional 60 day extension to visit wife. 

2 minutes ago, proton said:

Not if he did not have the funds in the bank and more probably from a province he did not live in. Supporters of corruption will always say otherwise.

A friend of mine did like that for many years, never had a problem, even when he left the country and come back

13 minutes ago, proton said:

If he has to go to an agent there will be no funds to use as he sees fit, or he could have gotten the extension legally for 1900 baht.

From the OP first post......

'"Could I get a temporary (tourism or other) extension (at Jomtien) after my marriage extension expires, then meanwhile put the money in my bank for 2 months before applying for the 1 year extension again?"....

Seems he implying possiblity of obtaining funds if can buy some time. 

Hence my suggestion of exit. 

Still not clear if he used his 60 day extension to visit wife on this latest entry. 

So that's also an option.