Two dead as Auckland hit with entire summer’s rain in just hours

Scott

3f9a063d173206d88c14abdeabb8fe3c

Auckland is “underwater” after deadly floods hit New Zealand’s largest city overnight on Friday evening.

A state of emergency was declared after almost an entire summer’s worth of rain hit in just hours. More heavy rain is falling in Auckland this morning.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/at-least-one-dead-as-auckland-hit-with-flooding-and-torrential-downpours/news-story/bbd2fa5be2150cf3e909c18be374d941

Now confirmed three dead and one missing. 

Bad news for Elton John fans with both his farewell concerts cancelled due to weather.

In the 24 hours up to 9am on January 28 2023, 245.3mm of rainfall was recorded at Auckland Airport. Two Auckland stations — Albert Park and Harbour Road in Onehunga — both recorded 271.0mm. In the four hours between 5pm and 9pm, more rain (170.4mm) fell at Auckland Airport than was recorded during the previous record 24 hour period (161.8mm in 24 hours to 9am on 17 February 1985).

spacer.png

Auckland Airport was flooded on Friday night stranding hopeful fliers in the terminals.

International flights in and out of Auckland are due to resume from midday Sunday, to allow infrastructure in the terminal to dry out and undergo safety checks.

spacer.png

Hanging on the edge - Landslides threaten homes on Colwill Road, Massey, Auckland after Auckland record deluge of rain which caused major flooding across the region. 28 January 2023 New Zealand Herald

spacer.png

A car was been trapped in flooding on Auckland's Northern Motorway as rising water brought traffic going in both directions to a standstill last night

More from NZ Herald

Rain is expected to continue to batter Auckland today with thunderstorms. A new heavy rain warning was issued for Auckland yesterday afternoon, with up to 80mm of rain possible to 10pm in addition to 120mm that fell earlier in the day.

spacer.png

Flooding at Auckland International Airport.

spacer.png

Flooding in Auckland on Beach Rd

spacer.png

Central city - Queen St

Edited by gomangosteen

I believe a "local state of emergency" was in place for the Auckland region, and I have never seen rain/floods like this in all my years in NZ.

Not far from where I lived on the North Shore of Auckland, several houses and properties have been hit by landslips and in some cases the houses are perched precariously on the edge of what's left of a cliff.

The cleanup operation is going to be costly and lengthy and I'm not sure that those people who have "house insurance" are adequately covered for events like this – – I only hope the insurance companies come to the party, but then again...........

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/28/2023 at 8:29 PM, xylophone said:

I believe a "local state of emergency" was in place for the Auckland region, and I have never seen rain/floods like this in all my years in NZ.

I have seen rain like that before, many years ago. However, it didn't last long.

Before that, too long ago to remember the year, loads of hillsides fell down inland from Papamoa when there was heavy rain- rural so not affecting people much.

Then there was the Wahine storm in 1968 which was rather bad for destruction.

• Thumbs Up 1