Banks and immigration. A short story

1happykamper

2 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Yes they are - they collect a lot of dosh from from us Farangs!

Not sure what you mean, unless you pay bribes to them, I don't consider 1,900b a year a lot of 'dosh', if people pay bribes then they are part of the problem. I certainly won't give them a bribe, or a 'Tip', I'm 100% legal here, so why would I? and I have never been asked for one from my IO. :coffee1:

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 7:29 PM, mikeymike100 said:

I would agree with your sentiment, but my point is tourists who come to Thailand are not going to be able to speak fluent Thai, some expats maybe? The IO's need to speak with the foreigners, obviously, so it would be in everyone's interest if they could could at least speak the most widely used language?  The Aviation industry does it? All international pilots must be able to speak English, so must all Air Traffic Controllers at International  Airports?

During the 1990's, whilst in Chile, I saw a TV news item that caused a great deal of concern at the time. They broadcast the recording of a conversation between a South American pilot and control tower. Tower; "Flight XXXX you are on a collision course, make IMMEDIATE right turn". Several seconds later the pilot replied; "Que?". The controller then repeated the urgent warning, this time in Espanol. Obviously, the incident illustrated the importance of pilots being able to speak English!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Not sure what you mean, unless you pay bribes to them, I don't consider 1,900b a year a lot of 'dosh', if people pay bribes then they are part of the problem. I certainly won't give them a bribe, or a 'Tip', I'm 100% legal here, so why would I? and I have never been asked for one from my IO. 

It was a play on words - a joke???? And in fact 1,900 baht times all the visa renewals is collectively a lot of money

On 1/29/2023 at 9:17 PM, Adumbration said:

I like to refer to Thailand as the land of the wasted day.

Every single task here (ones that would take 5 minutes back in Farangland) take a full day.

Open a bank account, lose a day.  Register your car, lose a day. Sell your vehicle, lose a day.  Go to the land office, lose a day.....And so on....

Out here in rural Kamphaeng Phet

a 90 day report takes about 10 minutes maximum. Cost free.

Marriage extension, assuming that you have 2 copies of everything needed takes about 1 1/2 hours. Cost 1,900 baht.

Copy of the marriage from the amphur takes about 30 minutes. Cost 20 baht.

COR costs the price of the photos. Time about 30 minutes. Immigration costs. Free.

I can't comment about the vehicle as I have never done it.

I can't comment about the Land Office as I have never done it.

It all depends on where you live.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2023 at 10:56 PM, 1happykamper said:

Believe me, I've traveled to Bali.. Vietnam... Portugal... Spain... all the current hot spots. Mexico was good from 2012 until 2015... then the cartel threw away the rule book on leaving expats and tourists alone.

How about home?

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Quite a few people who have lived in Thailand for a few years and are bored with big tourist cities.

Or those lead by the nose by a Thai girl.

I have asked this question before, who has ever aspired to retiring to rural Thailand before coming to Thailand and meeting a Thai lady? 

It really is laughable. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/7/2023 at 2:06 AM, billd766 said:

FYI I first came to Thailand in 1993 working with an American company and AIS for 3 months. I came back again in 1994 and stayed for nearly 4 years before going off to Sri Lanka, France, Belgium, Holland, France again, Germany, Thailand again, the UK, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Papua New Guinea and New Zealand before retiring to rural Kamphaeng Phet in 2009.

Your problem is that you make assumptions not based on reality and then believe that if people disagree with you, they are the ones that are wrong.

I have lives and worked in 38 countries in my 50 years of working life and I have lived in the major cities in Chile and Venezuela, Thailand, France, Germany, Pakistan and other countries.

I hate smog, pollution, tower blocks, heavy traffic, shoulder to shoulder people everywhere.

Out here there is plenty of open space, not so much pollution, nowhere near as much traffic, far more friendly people with genuine smiles and if I cannot get something here that  need, I can order it through the internet.

That's a nice story, but totally irrelevant. 

When you first came to Thailand, did you discover a small village in Issan, independently, and decide it it was so nice that it was where you aspired to retire to in the future?   No.

How many come here to the southern beach tourists areas for a holiday and make plans to retire in such places, only to meet a girl from Issan and end up in a rural village, for whatever reasons? 

Watching rice grow, what a way to see out the rest of your life. 

Edited by Leaver

On 1/29/2023 at 2:40 PM, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Why should you need a Thai person to translate?

Because Thailand is one of only a few countries in the world (another being China), where English language skills are neither required to get such a job, nor seen as a necessity.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

33 minutes ago, Leaver said:

That's a nice story, but totally irrelevant. 

When you first came to Thailand, did you discover a small village in Issan, independently, and decide it it was so nice that it was where you aspired to retire to in the future?   No.

How many come here to the southern beach tourists areas for a holiday and make plans to retire in such places, only to meet a girl from Issan and end up in a rural village, for whatever reasons? 

Watching rice grow, what a way to see out the rest of your life. 

You are biased and have no idea about real life.

Please do not bother to reply to this as I find you ill mannered, boring and a possessor of a very simple one track mind

33 minutes ago, Leaver said:

This is where I need the laughter emoticon and you need to read my posts slowly and carefully.

If you cannot then there is no hope for you.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

You are biased and have no idea about real life.

Please do not bother to reply to this as I find you ill mannered, boring and a possessor of a very simple one track mind

Your personal; attack is wasted on me, and shows you have a very narrow view. 

I am not biased.  I asked you a simple question, and it was a general question, not a personal question. 

Just look at the thousands of guys living in rural villages of Issan.  What is the highlight of their day?  Not much.  How many of them even heard about Issan, let alone the village, before they met a girl from there? 

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

This is where I need the laughter emoticon and you need to read my posts slowly and carefully.

If you cannot then there is no hope for you.

You can laugh all you like, but your deflection shows you are one of the thousands of guys I mentioned. 

I couldn't care less where you live, and wish you no malice, but don't BS and say you were not influenced by your Thai partner to relocate to some small village that you have never heard of before meeting her, and then say you had always wanted to retire to a small village in Issan because no one believes it. 

On 1/29/2023 at 8:40 AM, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Immigration is there for foreigners, Thais in general don't go there, unless with a a partner? Surely the guys at Immigration should speak good English, at least? Some do some don't? Why should you need a Thai person to translate?

The one language they should not be needing is Thai... but many seem to only speak that.....!It is immigration we talk of for heaven's sake. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 10:56 PM, Leaver said:

Or those lead by the nose by a Thai girl.

I have asked this question before, who has ever aspired to retiring to rural Thailand before coming to Thailand and meeting a Thai lady? 

It really is laughable. 

Actually, I have a friend, who really want to come to Thailand and not like tourist areas or big cities... He is looking into some less populated areas. Not everybody is the same of what they desire. For me, it would be a nightmare to be in a location like that for more than a few days. But luckily different people have different needs.

Strange, back in my home country I lived in a rural area, and never wanted to live in a bigger city. But here it's the opposite!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HampiK said:

Actually, I have a friend, who really want to come to Thailand and not like tourist areas or big cities... He is looking into some less populated areas. Not everybody is the same of what they desire. For me, it would be a nightmare to be in a location like that for more than a few days. But luckily different people have different needs.

Strange, back in my home country I lived in a rural area, and never wanted to live in a bigger city. But here it's the opposite!

Sure, but let's talk majority and minority.

Do you think everyone is like your friend, yet, many end up in a rural village in Issan.