Banks and immigration. A short story

1happykamper

6 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

I agree its their country, BUT they are dealing solely with foreigners, together with the odd visa agent?

Surely the immigration officers dealing directly with the foreigners should be able to communicate, with them?

I am not suggesting that the IO's be able speak several languages, what I am saying is that they should be able to speak the most spoken language in the world, which is English!

I believe English is taught in school in Thailand. The question is did they graduate from elementary school.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I believe English is taught in school in Thailand. The question is did they graduate from elementary school.

How are you? - I'm fine thank you, and you?

How are you? - I'm terrible. -  99% of the time - NO answer.

The majority are not taught to speak English only to answer stock phrases. (and not many of those either).

Although I have to say that when I speak with the online help (lazada, 3 BB) I am Impressed with their command. I assume rightly or wrongly that some really do understand that to learn English (the so called language of international business) improves their employment opportunities.

It still doesn't alter the fact that us "native English speakers" are fortunate people and expecting everyone to speak "our language" in their country is somewhat arrogant.

Edited by Negita43

38 minutes ago, Klonko said:

I received my  COR original from my embassy via online service. I copied the original on my color laser mfp and it is hard to tell the difference between copies and original. One original for proof of residence three times in December and January. I am pretty sure that I could have kept the original.

Well.. My COR include a frigging photo that glued to it! Why? It's stupid. No one really knows anymore 

36 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

It still doesn't alter the fact that us "native English speakers" are fortunate people and expecting everyone to speak "our language" in their country is somewhat arrogant.

Well, if the result of World War 2 was different, we would all be speaking German or Russian, if we would be lucky to be here at all. 

Which would you prefer? 

9 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Banks........hmmmm

I have quite a lot money in a standard Bangkok Bank account.

I requested a FCD account, they asked for COR, i said i want to close my account and remove all my money.

Guess what, manager came out and sorted out FCD account with COR.

Aren't you under 50 years of age, so the manager knew you didn't need Bangkok Bank for visa purposes. 

Would it have worked if you were over 50? 

And if many ears ago the French had been successful in annexing Thailand we would have to speak French to get our visa extensions

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Which would you prefer?

And if the French many years ago had been successful in annexing Thailand we would be doing our visa extensions in French

Life is full of what ifs

3 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

And if many ears ago the French had been successful in annexing Thailand we would have to speak French to get our visa extensions

And if the French many years ago had been successful in annexing Thailand we would be doing our visa extensions in French

Life is full of what ifs

The French tried that in Vietnam and it didn't go so well for them, but yes, the Thai's probably would have offered several provinces as a peace offering and lost their land. 

The Thai's are brave fighting drunk tourists, but history shows not so brave on the battlefield.  :smile:

8 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

I like to refer to Thailand as the land of the wasted day.

Every single task here (ones that would take 5 minutes back in Farangland) take a full day.

Open a bank account, lose a day.  Register your car, lose a day. Sell your vehicle, lose a day.  Go to the land office, lose a day.....And so on....

Fortunately, Thailand is not the land of a wasted night.  :smile:

Edited by Leaver

12 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Sorry but not the Whole system, I tried to get a resident Cert the same day and asked my IO can I pay an 'express fee' NO! come back in 3 days. :coffee1:

I needed a residency cert to get my Tax Identification Number (TIN), normally I use an agent to do everything immigration related but as I was already at the Tax Office in Jomtien I thought I’d do it myself. 

Went in with everything I thought I needed (Passport, condo lease, TM30, Photos etc…), no queuing outside, approx 20 minutes filling in the form, getting the necessary copies & waiting my turn then pay 300b & come back 1 hour later to pick the Cert up.

This would have been July last year & I’ll admit that immigration wasn’t that busy but my understanding is you go in & talk (nicely) to the guy at the desk who tells you what forms/paperwork/photocopies you need… & once you have those gives you a queue number (1 guy in front of me getting a Residency Cert, vast majority of people were getting extensions).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Aren't you under 50 years of age, so the manager knew you didn't need Bangkok Bank for visa purposes. 

Yes, i'm under 50, is that ok?

How would i know if it would have worked if over 50 - stupid question ( again ).

22 hours ago, kinyara said:

I decided is was a good opportunity to open an additional bank account during COVID when business activity in Pattaya was at an all time low and immigration was devoid of tourists, there are ways and means of helping yourself minimise official hassles with a bit of planning. 

I'd always recommend anyone going to be based in Pattaya contemplating retirement to ensure their initial Non O is obtained in Sep/Oct. 

That would put their annual renewal of Extension into Dec/January, which is not the best time. I think you meant try to make your annual extension renewal land Sept/Oct...

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

That would put their annual renewal of Extension into Dec/January, which is not the best time. I think you meant try to make your annual extension renewal land Sept/Oct...

Correct and clarified in a subsequent post reply to the same point from Buick, build in the lead time first time so your renewal falls Sep/Oct.

16 hours ago, Leaver said:

No point starting a thread for a quick question that you can answer.

You mentioned you did it up country the next year.  Did you get a TM30 at the up country address?  If not, do you have to go to your nearest immigration office, or can you go to any immigration office?  Same with the driver's license as well. 

Whilst schools where closed for Covid I was living at our house up country so went to the local Immi office and did my TM30 there. My driver's licence isn't up for renewal for a while yet so I'll sort that nearer the time. I did change my address in the blue book for my car though. Bit of a pain but not too much as they made me get a new plate (different province)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

Why Bangkok Bank if over 50. I presume you are talking about retirement visa? Why not use another bank i.e Kasikorn, SCB etc? I want to change from marriage to retirement extension in a few months but don't have Bangkok Bank. I have Kasikorn and SCB

• Like 1

11 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

Residency Cert is only 200bt at Jomtien  I did one 5 weeks ago you were scammed , also go in the morning  not 3pm , avoid Bangkok Bank Go to SCB or Krungsri ,, they will open account  easy peasy

Oh I know I was scammed for sure...it supposed to be FREE and i've gotten them for exactly that at other offices. The fact that I paid 300 and you 200 is hilarious 555. More proof that they are absolute crooks! 

1 hour ago, ConnectionNotGuaranteed said:

Why Bangkok Bank if over 50. I presume you are talking about retirement visa? Why not use another bank i.e Kasikorn, SCB etc? I want to change from marriage to retirement extension in a few months but don't have Bangkok Bank. I have Kasikorn and SCB

There's no particular reason to prefer Bangkok Bank for a retirement extension and even a reason to prefer other Thai banks for the 800k money-in-the-bank method.  Bangkok Bank's 12-month statement must be done via their headquarters in Bangkok often taking a week to receive, while most other banks are able to provide that statement while you wait or next day.

Edited by skatewash
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, kinyara said:

Correct and clarified in a subsequent post reply to the same point from Buick, build in the lead time first time so your renewal falls Sep/Oct.

Mine is December and last year (2021 actually) my plan was to extend in my old passport, that would expire about October and hence effectively shift the renewal date. As it was I didn't, and thank heavens as it took 3 months to get a new passport and I would have been on overstay!

• Like 1