Banks and immigration. A short story

1happykamper

9 minutes ago, flyingtlger said:

You need a Thai local that can speak Thai and translate everything for you, the majority of your problems will be solved. Also, you might want to get up earlier to get your business done instead of going in the afternoon and expect civil servants to accommodate your needs. After lunch, all they're thinking of is going home 555!

Yep, 3pm, "overit" time.! 

• Haha 1

I decided is was a good opportunity to open an additional bank account during COVID when business activity in Pattaya was at an all time low and immigration was devoid of tourists, there are ways and means of helping yourself minimise official hassles with a bit of planning. 

I'd always recommend anyone going to be based in Pattaya contemplating retirement to ensure their initial Non O is obtained in Sep/Oct. 

I can't say I disagree with much of what you have said. Thailand is indeed a bureaucratic nightmare but that's how the Thais like it.

Either learn to live with it or the Emergency EXIT door is always open should you wish to use it.

Edited by bob smith
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rankric said:

You were in no rush you said, clearly. Who arrives at immigration at 3pm. This story would never have needed to be written if you had planned your activities properly. 

OK Einstein... When should I have gone? Monday and Fridays.. Stay away... This is basic. .. But I was there at various hours of the day AND I occasionally walk by that place.. It was always a busy mess. 

41 minutes ago, kinyara said:

I decided is was a good opportunity to open an additional bank account during COVID when business activity in Pattaya was at an all time low and immigration was devoid of tourists, there are ways and means of helping yourself minimise official hassles with a bit of planning. 

I'd always recommend anyone going to be based in Pattaya contemplating retirement to ensure their initial Non O is obtained in Sep/Oct. 

So you telling me to plan a pandemic to get in and out faster. Gotchya. 

I agree on the visa timing. However these items couldn't wait... Licenses and new bank account. 

Edited by 1happykamper
I goofed

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

@1happykamper

Just wait until you move again and need to change your address on your licenses and the vehicle owners books...lol...more fun.

Well it might be a lot easier away from Pattaya/Jomtien, most IO it is free, and less queues, the joys of living anywhere near Pattaya LOL,  there is NO official charge but a 3day wait is normal.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Immigration is there for foreigners, Thais in general don't go there, unless with a a partner? Surely the guys at Immigration should speak good English, at least? Some do some don't? Why should you need a Thai person to translate?

Got to agree, unless you don't speak pretty good English, you shouldn't need a Thai translator with you?

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, 1happykamper said:

OK Einstein... When should I have gone? Monday and Fridays.. Stay away... This is basic. .. But I was there at various hours of the day AND I occasionally walk by that place.. It was always a busy mess. 

So you telling me to plan a pandemic to get in and out faster. Gotchya. 

I agree on the visa timing. However these items couldn't wait... Licenses and new bank account. 

You said you've been in Jomtien since June 2021 so you didn't have to plan a pandemic it was in full swing, so you missed taking advantage of a rather large window of opportunity. Similarly you can renew your driving licence 3 months before expiry date, I'm sure it would have been a little less time consuming queueing wise if you had gone end of October rather the wait to peak high season at immigration. The point is not leaving things until they can't wait but to schedule for less busy periods where possible.

Do we take it you are no longer a happy camper.

9 hours ago, Leaver said:

No.  The whole bureaucratic system in Thailand is designed to have you seek out the services of an agent. 

Sorry but not the Whole system, I tried to get a resident Cert the same day and asked my IO can I pay an 'express fee' NO! come back in 3 days. :coffee1:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

Got to agree, unless you don't speak pretty good English, you shouldn't need a Thai translator with you?

I had to translate for a 'English' guy in the bank not long ago, the staff couldn't understand his  BRUMMY (Birmingham) accent :cheesy:. 'Pretty good' do you think they would understand that terminology ?

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Immigration is there for foreigners, Thais in general don't go there, unless with a a partner? Surely the guys at Immigration should speak good English, at least? Some do some don't? Why should you need a Thai person to translate?

'Are there'. There fixed your English. 

1 hour ago, BananaStrong said:

Not the other way around.      Maybe the first few weeks here I was overwhelmed, but it wasn't long until I realized I offer way more value than value given to me.

And you are still here in Thailand.  Something positive must have kept you here.

This is a "short story", compared to my driving licence renewal. New address and new passport= 3 day nightmare! And then, even though I've got cataracts (fixed soon I hope?), they did everything to pass me, tapping me on the arm when the 2 sticks were aligned, giving me 2 or 3 guesses to get the colours right. And didn't even put "glasses" on my licence! Lovely people.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

And you are still here in Thailand.  Something positive must have kept you here.

I like helping the poor.  Giving them clothes, a little money, etc.....it makes me feel good.    Plus I'm a little lazy when it comes to packing and moving.   Especially with COVID (before), but that's changing.   

In America, people have given me the equivalent of 300,000 baht for work, bonuses, gifts, whatever.... plus some luck added a few extra zeros.   I didn't have a hard life, at all, even thought I thought life was hard at times.

It's my time to give back a little bit.   

I would be 100000000000000000x more productive back home, but I like to put a smile on the faces of those less fortunate.   Even once a week is better than back home...............back home you had to have the RIGHT BMW model or you were a loser.  I played that game for too long.  Driving a paddle shifting LEXUS wasn't even fun.  Living in a 2.5 million USD dollar house felt like a prison, and I hate working. lol.  But people like me and give me work that has nice perks.   I have the education and experience to back it up............

Impossible to tell if I made the right decision.  In some aspects, yes, but in some, definitely not.

Not retired yet, so I still have time to ponder life's mysteries.   

Edited by BananaStrong
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, kinyara said:

if you get a Non O in Sep/Oct, doesn't that mean you do you the one year extension 3 months later, in the peak of high season ?  i think you want to do the one year extension in Sep/Oct which means get the Non O three months prior.  May is a bad month for extension renewals also, alot of holidays in that month (i had May for a few years, now i have October).  June is a pretty good month for renewals.

I agree with everything the op said but it won't change nothing.. on a similar note I went to open another bank account in the same bank that I have another account in already. They said need residents cirtificate. I said why same branch same address .he said rules of of bank.. I he and tm30 and Thai driving licence. But nope still needed cirtificate.. I left saying  stick the Extra account where the sun don't shine...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1