T.O.U. meter

... along with silly monthly service charge (฿300+)

this guy (in the video) had to pay only 46.16 baht for the service charge (bill 12/2022).

when using the TOU meter, you must also add FT, which is presently 0.9343 baht (2.6369 + FT = 3.5712 baht/unit)!

I'm hoping to purchase an electric vehicle this year, at which point I'll contact the PEA for additional details.

20230205.png

Edited by motdaeng
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Not getting my head around the benefit of TOU meter.

We'll hit 700kWh this month (have already), and if say 500 was peak, and charge EV on off peak rate @ say 200 kWh, then it seems to be more expensive than our 'regular' meter.

TOU.png

You need to use a lot more off-peak (and correspondingly less on-peak) to get to the break-even point.

If you can get a separate TOU meter just for the car and only charge at night you get the best of both worlds. PEA were certainly offering this in the past. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2023 at 4:27 PM, Crossy said:

You need to use a lot more off-peak (and correspondingly less on-peak) to get to the break-even point.

If you can get a separate TOU meter just for the car and only charge at night you get the best of both worlds. PEA were certainly offering this in the past. 

We are finally charging our MG ZS EV at home with our new 7 kW wall charger. PEA installed the TOU meter as shown in the attached photos. We have been told that we can get the off peak rate from 2200-0900 during weekdays and all day and all night on weekends and holidays. Please let me know if this is correct as we have not got our first bill yet. The MG iSmart computer inside the car, allows us to program the charging hours but I have installed a WiFi breaker which is connected from the TOU meter, followed by a MOV surge protector. MG (PRIME) installed the wall box free and they agreed to sell me the larger box to fit the custom items that I bought on Lazada. They insisted that they must install the ABB breaker to meet their requirements from MG. The Chinese breaker on the right, in a separate box, was supplied in the box with the wall charger which was shipped from China in the boot of the MG. The black earth wire was installed to my existing earth rod of 2.6 meters.

We have configured the wall box to operate with out the smart card so that when you turn on the WiFi breaker, the power will reach the MG charging plug. However the car computer can either be set to charge on a schedule that can be programed or can be charged instantly depending on the settings.

We measured about 32 amps on the 230 volt single phase AC wire going to the WiFi breaker before the 7 kW home charger and around 16 amps at 400 volts DC when car is charging. I have been told by a Thai electrical engineer who had the same MG ZS EV that it is still cheaper to charge the car at EV Station using the 120 kW DC super charger or the 50 kW DC superchargers from PEA at 4.81 baht per kW, off peak including VAT. The home wall box charger electicity price is higher because of the losses to covert AC to DC using the rectifier inside the MG plus the cooling system has to be running while charging which for a supercharger is only one hour whereas with a home wall box charger it will run for about 4 to 6 hours.

But the hours of off peak at EV Station and PEA are 2200-0600 which makes it more difficult to manage than with the 3 hours extra during the 2200-0900 off peak hours at home. Plus you have to count the distance to travel to the EV Station from your house which is another loss. My guess is that off peak including service charge, VAT and FT is about 2.6369 + 0.9343 (FT) = 3.5712 + 7% (VAT) = 3.8212. Plus you have to add the service charge to read the meter each month. The single phase 100 amp TOU meter cost about 4000 baht and the installation was around 700 baht. The main thing about the home charger is the convenience because you have plenty of time to charge while you are sleeping at home. This way you wake up to the full 100% charge without putting in 100 amps frin a superchager through your batteries all the time which cannot be too healthy for them in the long run. 

20230528_135711.jpg

20230528_135827.jpg

20230528_135642.jpg

20230528_135943.jpg

20230528_135338.jpg

20230528_135326.jpg

20230528_140010.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thaisail said:

We have been told that we can get the off peak rate from 2200-0900 during weekdays and all day and all night on weekends and holidays. Please let me know if this is correct as we have not got our first bill yet.

This is my understanding too.

Job looks OK.

On 5/28/2023 at 11:27 PM, thaisail said:

We have been told that we can get the off peak rate from 2200-0900 during weekdays and

all day and all night on weekends and holidays. Please let me know if this is correct as we have

not got our first bill yet.

what you were told regarding the off-peak period is correct.

i only found the offical PEA TOU information in thai:

https://www.pea.co.th/ข่าวสารประกาศ/ปฏิทิน-Off-Peak

thank you for letting us know about your TOU project. please keep us updated ...

how much you pay per kw/h, how much is your service charge, etc

• Like 1