Chinese Arrivals Tripled in January: TAT

webfact

image.jpeg

Photo by Chamnanwut Sukhumwanit

BANGKOK, Feb 1 (TNA) – Thailand recorded almost two million international visitors in January 2023 as the number of Chinese tourists has tripled, said governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).  

Yuthasak Supasorn said there were more than 1,900,000 foreign arrivals from Jan 1-29, with most tourists or about 240,000 from the United States, followed by Russia, South Korea, India and China respectively.

He said the figure was satisfactory, particularly the Chinese tourists, which increased threefold from fewer than 30,000 in the first half of January to more than 80,000.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1105981

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2023-02-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand recorded almost two million international visitors in January 2023 as the number of Chinese tourists has tripled, said governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

That's not hard to achieve from zero.

• Haha 1

This has to be a mistake, there were about 80k and 90k US arrivals in Nov and Dec 2022. The US has never ever had anywhere near the stated 240k in a month during the peak years in 2018-2019.

Edited by at15

9 hours ago, John Drake said:

Don't remember any government officials greeting American tourists, giving them gifts, or saluting the jets they arrived in. Instead, it's all China. Remember how the government said it doesn't discriminate against any country? Hmmm. And all they do is slobber over Chinese and Russians. This needs to be made clear to Americans planning a trip here. 

You can count me as one of those Americans that will not be coming again this year. Tickets for 4 are outrageous in the summer months from SFO to BKK. I haven't been back with the family since June 2019. I missed LOS, always had a blast and great memories, but the plane tickets have increased so much due to all the things we discussed since the pandemic makes it difficult to go these days. 

On 2/1/2023 at 9:12 AM, BayArea said:

You can count me as one of those Americans that will not be coming again this year. Tickets for 4 are outrageous in the summer months from SFO to BKK. I haven't been back with the family since June 2019. I missed LOS, always had a blast and great memories, but the plane tickets have increased so much due to all the things we discussed since the pandemic makes it difficult to go these days. 

Yep it's brutal.  And all signs point that airline tickets will be going UP not down in the future.  

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

Yep it's brutal.  And all signs point that airline tickets will be going UP not down in the future.  

Why do you think that? If you refer to the oil price, I agree oil will increase but that should manifest itself in increased fuel surcharges, not increased ticket prices.

32 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Why do you think that? If you refer to the oil price, I agree oil will increase but that should manifest itself in increased fuel surcharges, not increased ticket prices.

Because airlines are hardly functioning right now and can't attract pilots.  There aren't enough in the world right now.  And all that money during the pandemic that went out the window they will recoup those losses.

All the experts agree airline travel will be more expensive in years to come.  

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 1:39 PM, John Drake said:

Don't remember any government officials greeting American tourists, giving them gifts, or saluting the jets they arrived in. Instead, it's all China. Remember how the government said it doesn't discriminate against any country? Hmmm. And all they do is slobber over Chinese and Russians. This needs to be made clear to Americans planning a trip here. 

One day people will wake up to the fact that Thailand and China have historical relationship that transends tourism. Highly likely that a percentage of the government are of Chinese descent and the Chinese, unlike the west, have tremendous respect for their ancestors.

If people got off the bar stools and out and about they would see the huge Chinese graveyards dotted around the countryside.

• Like 1