New passport

12 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

Gday

Ā 

When he applies for the next extension , does immigration accept or does he need to present

The embassy letter?

Wbr

Roobaa01

Nope!

Ā 

When applying for passport from WITHIN Thailand then YES.

Ā 

If getting a Passport outside from Thailand NO

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Use both passports to enter the country.

They will use your re-entry permit in the old passport to stamp you into the country.

Don't have any concerns, passport officers on arrival handle this easily, no issues, every day.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MJCM said:

You are right, but DO check upon leaving the DESK that they stamped the NEW passport and not the OLD one. Always a good idea to check.

As you probably read in other posts, I reside close to the Laos border and will be looking at renewing mine in Laos, would the same apply, e.g. when re-entering Thailand from Laos with the new passport on a single re-entry permit in my old passport, should I get immigration to stamp my new passport ?

Ā 

Also from what I understand, there would be no need for a letter from embassy as it's outside of ThailandĀ  ?

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

As you probably read in other posts, I reside close to the Laos border and will be looking at renewing mine in Laos, would the same apply, e.g. when re-entering Thailand from Laos with the new passport on a single re-entry permit in my old passport, should I get immigration to stamp my new passport ?

Ā 

Also from what I understand, there would be no need for a letter from embassy as it's outside of ThailandĀ  ?

You always should get Immigration (upon arrival in Thailand) have them stamp the NEW passport, the OLD passport has been made invalid and they won't (shouldn't) stamp that.

Ā 

On your 2nd question

Ā 

Is there an Embassy or a Consulate or ... of your Country in Laos.

Ā 

For example, my Home Country doesn't have an Embassy or Consulate in Laos (also Cambodia) they only have a "representative" so my Passport would come via the Embassy in Bangkok,

Ā 

If it comes via a Real Embassy, then AFAIK NO letter needed, if it comes via a "representative" I would email the Bangkok Embassy and ask.

Ā 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MJCM said:

Nope!

Ā 

When applying for passport from WITHIN Thailand then YES.

Ā 

If getting a Passport outside from Thailand NO

Not strictly true, I did not get 'a letter' with my new OZ pp in Thailand, just a stamp in my old one. No problem at Immigration or Banks when I showed up with both, and I put the new number in myself.

2033907881_IMG_20220809_142014(2).thumb.jpg.008de2d5a992114659bba250faf8730d.jpg

Ā 

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Not strictly true, I did not get 'a letter' with my new OZ pp in Thailand, just a stamp in my old one. No problem at Immigration or Banks when I showed up with both, and I put the new number in myself.

2033907881_IMG_20220809_142014(2).thumb.jpg.008de2d5a992114659bba250faf8730d.jpg

Ā 

Different Embassy different rules

Ā 

My Embassy even asks if I want the Letter. No stamp given.

Ā 

Ā 

7 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Different Embassy different rules

Ā 

My Embassy even asks if I want the Letter. No stamp given.

Ā 

Ā 

I presumed the OP "coming back from Australia" had an OZ passport, which is why I posted a Picture from an AUSRALIAN PP. jeez

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MJCM said:

You always should get Immigration (upon arrival in Thailand) have them stamp the NEW passport, the OLD passport has been made invalid and they won't (shouldn't) stamp that.

Ā 

On your 2nd question

Ā 

Is there an Embassy or a Consulate or ... of your Country in Laos.

Ā 

For example, my Home Country doesn't have an Embassy or Consulate in Laos (also Cambodia) they only have a "representative" so my Passport would come via the Embassy in Bangkok,

Ā 

If it comes via a Real Embassy, then AFAIK NO letter needed, if it comes via a "representative" I would email the Bangkok Embassy and ask.

Ā 

Laos has an embassy there, I have been once before when I needed to have them stamp some docs for back home.