Debate on legalising e-cigs in Thailand as danger to foreign tourists is made very plain this week

webfact

1 hour ago, Mickeymaus said:

In Singapore for instance chewing gums are not allowed.

Chewing it is legal, the only ban is selling it unless it is "medicinal". That said, I've yet to read of a Singaporean roadblock where you pay cops $1000 in cash if you have it in your bag. As a rule, it's largely ignored by the local cops.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

If I understood it correctly then the police cannot charge you. There needs to be a court case - not easy with tourists. If the police wants money then it is illegal. You also can insist that the vendor that sold this stuff gets immediately removed and also punished.

Yes, it's complex, and as you say really can not be done quickly.  But Thai law is rather more flexible than in the west. They'd find a way. Ultimately, it will not be good optics for a tourist destination to have visitors languishing in cells for weeks, all for a vape of all things. But you know- nothing would surprise me. Let's face it the whole issue with vapes is nonsensical anyway. 

12 hours ago, ukrules said:

I can imagine that the police are missing out on a huge amount of extorted money now that cannabis has been made legal.

When it was illegal I'd bet they made many millions of Baht every month by threatening people with long prison sentences if they don't pay massive bribes - legalisation has destroyed a lucrative income stream.

They must be really feeling the pain here and have decided to extort a different group of people - those with e-cigs.

If they legalise e-cigs I wonder who they will go after next?

People playing cards, domino's or darts... Wait they already do that to foreigners.....

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

vaping forbidden, cigarettes can be sold, freely, cannabis, no problem, other drugs 1 tablet no problem, selling vapers etc no problem, foreigners.. charge them...

Well, vapes are also sold openly of the sois of Sukhumvit

12 hours ago, digger70 said:

Maybe they can uphold the law for the road rules 24/7  and corruption.

Lots of money to be made there,Legally and Illegally. 

It would be an improvement if they enforced driving in the wrong side of the road but the police don’t give a stuff.

A few days ago I saw a police car have to change lanes to avoid an oncoming truck. I thought finally we will see a cop do their job.

The cops just kept driving. There is no hope at all.

Every 5 minutes on Thai roads I see more vehicles driving on the wrong side of the road than I have in 45 years of driving back home. There are ignorant lazy idiots.

Edited by Reigntax
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I am not against vaping. But the tourists should understand the laws before they come to Thailand. If they don't do it then it is not the fault of Thailand.

I think that would be a sensible solution.

When booking a flight on any airline they could pop up a warning about what's illegal and essential to know for tourists and not allow you to proceed before clicking an agreement that you have read it.

It might be a long list of do's and don'ts - if the online flight shopper likes to vape every day then they and their family or friends will probably just go somewhere else.

Everyone needs to know before booking a flight.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ukrules said:

I think that would be a sensible solution.

When booking a flight on any airline they could pop up a warning about what's illegal and essential to know for tourists and not allow you to proceed before clicking an agreement that you have read it.

It might be a long list of do's and don'ts - if the online flight shopper likes to vape every day then they and their family or friends will probably just go somewhere else.

Everyone needs to know before booking a flight.

It's a sensible solution that will not work, however.  

5 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

I dont smoke so it doesnt really affect me but can anyone explain why they are banned? According to the WHO they are safer than regular cigarettes. I would be interested to know the reason.

In the Thai authorities view vaping is unhealthy, some even claim it is worse than cigarettes, and that it is a public health threat for teenagers.  Quite how they reached these conclusions is beyond me.  There are also numerous socio/political factors, as well as the interests of tobacco monopolies.  The WHO is basically against vaping incidentally.

(According to UK Gov Health agencies they are 95% safer and recently they have been saying more than 95%: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e-cigarettes-around-95-less-harmful-than-tobacco-estimates-landmark-review )

Edited by mommysboy

On 2/4/2023 at 1:14 PM, Mickeymaus said:

If I understood it correctly then the police cannot charge you. There needs to be a court case - not easy with tourists. If the police wants money then it is illegal. You also can insist that the vendor that sold this stuff gets immediately removed and also punished.

They seem to be able to levy fines at the police station. I paid a fine at Thong Lor station and there was a cashier, I had to sign, I got a receipt etc.

I think it's pocketing the cash they aren't allowed ????

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Not me, he left this whole marijuana thing a complete mess.

No wonder tourists are confused.

Come into a country where people smoke normal cigarettes, marijuana shops everywhere and E-cigarettes and accessories openly for sale on every street corner, then suddenly told your are being fined for illegal use.

Well said- It's something that the 'I don't understand why' folks can't quite grasp.  Also vaping may be quite acceptable, even encouraged by health authorities, where smoking is concerned.

Edited by mommysboy

On 2/5/2023 at 7:26 PM, mommysboy said:

In the Thai authorities view vaping is unhealthy, some even claim it is worse than cigarettes, and that it is a public health threat for teenagers.  Quite how they reached these conclusions is beyond me.  There are also numerous socio/political factors, as well as the interests of tobacco monopolies.  The WHO is basically against vaping incidentally.

(According to UK Gov Health agencies they are 95% safer and recently they have been saying more than 95%: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e-cigarettes-around-95-less-harmful-than-tobacco-estimates-landmark-review )

I dont think it takes a genius to figure out why the regulation is what it is.

On 2/4/2023 at 4:14 AM, xtrnuno41 said:

as danger to foreign tourists

In foreign countries, vaping, electric cigarettes are legal and therefor used by people.

This is just a scheme for not loosing monopoly, money in tobacco.

Tobacco is way more dangerous then vaping, due to all the substances in tobacco, which you dont have in vaping. Btw im a smoker, but Thai rolling tobacco sucks.

Import some from other countries, thats way better.

In 2004, i was in Indonesia and found amazingly my brand, 4 packages just 2 euro, was flabber gasted. While in my country, one package costed 7 euro, then.

I bought it, it was export quality, way better then my countries quality, amazing, loved it.

Red the article again, but is dangerous of course, as you can end up in jail and paying big fines. That is the real danger.