Is there anything like a Beelink with a remote?

giddyup

32 minutes ago, Stocky said:

The problem I have/had with android boxes is you don't usually get any software updates for the OS and you certainly won't get any upgrade to the next android version. After going through about 4 boxes in 6 years I switched to a mini-PC running Windows some 4.5 years ago. In the long run it's cheaper than buying a succession of android boxes, and I can do more with it. Importantly I have a faster processor, more memory and greater storage.

Sorry but that is just your experience in buying unsuitable boxes in the first place. I am still using a box running Android 9 two years later. Paid less than 1000 baht for it, though of good quality and bought at a discount. 
I can still install and run the latest software, so what is the problem?

There isn’t one. The only problem is that you bought five devices instead of one. False economy. I’ve spent 1000 baht over two years. You spent how much? I guess closer to 15,000 baht. 
Which Mini PC would you recommend and at what cost? Bearing in mind that the cheapest will struggle with 4K. 
What is it that you can do that I cannot via my Android box? Bear in mind that I have a PC anyway. 

The man needs a media player for his TVs…. this is getting ridiculous. Powered hubs, Mini PCs… 

An Android box will be more than adequate to the task. You can even buy one with a slot for a 2.5” SSD: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/8k-2022-android-tv-box-n5-plus-4gb64gb-amlogic-s905x3-hdd-25-i334994514-s649522799.html

Though an older model running Android 9. 

A Mini PC has the ‘advantage’ of running Windows, for those who are familiar with it. 
It’s not as if Android is particularly complicated. Especially when just plugging in a drive with existing media. 
For Torrents, there are Android applications for that. It’s not rocket science. 

Edited by NextG

51 minutes ago, NextG said:

What's the difference in the 3 you listed? I see what appears to be the same model for as little as 1300 baht. Call me a procrastinator but I enjoy learning as much as I can about the item I'm buying. One of the reasons I like the HK1 is that it has the Nova media player installed, which is what I use on both TV's. This app shows the covers of all the movies on the flash drive as well as attaching subs very quickly and easily. It's the best app I've found, better than VLC IMO.

23 minutes ago, NextG said:

The man needs a media player for his TVs…. this is getting ridiculous. Powered hubs, Mini PCs… 

An Android box will be more than adequate to the task. You can even buy one with a slot for a 2.5” SSD: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/8k-2022-android-tv-box-n5-plus-4gb64gb-amlogic-s905x3-hdd-25-i334994514-s649522799.html

Though an older model running Android 9. 

A Mini PC has the ‘advantage’ of running Windows, for those who are familiar with it. 
It’s not as if Android is particularly complicated. Especially when just plugging in a drive with existing media. 
For Torrents, there are Android applications for that. It’s not rocket science. 

I appreciate all your input, but if I'm becoming annoying I won't be offended if you choose to ignore me.

17 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I appreciate all your input, but if I'm becoming annoying I won't be offended if you choose to ignore me.

Maybe you are annoying yourself. Is there anything in the post you quoted that indicates that I am annoyed with you?
Calm down, have a cup of tea and then read again. The post was addressed to some of the other people giving you ‘advice’. 
They are just roiling your brains. 
I am keeping it as simple as I can for you. No complicated solutions and interminable purchasing. Just one item and that’s it. 
The difference between the three links are the remote controls. You can research which you prefer ???? or buy the same model, but with the ‘standard’/non air mouse remote. Then you can buy exactly the remote that you like separately. But that would be another complication. So I’ve kept it simple for you. If you like that model, then choose from those three. It’s not that you cannot install the software you like on the others, but if having it preinstalled gives you comfort, there’s nothing wrong with that. 

Edited by NextG
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What's the difference in the 3 you listed? I see what appears to be the same model for as little as 1300 baht. Call me a procrastinator but I enjoy learning as much as I can about the item I'm buying. One of the reasons I like the HK1 is that it has the Nova media player installed, which is what I use on both TV's. This app shows the covers of all the movies on the flash drive as well as attaching subs very quickly and easily. It's the best app I've found, better than VLC IMO.

It’s not the same model. Different specs. Don’t do the false economy thing, as illustrated by another contributor here. 

@giddyupspeaking from experience of using PCs and TV boxes for decades, I would get an android box and hack it to run kodi via libreelec

I recently bought a rockchip based box off ebay for a family member for like £1 plus p&p

beware of anyone who says 'pc with windows=perfect solution'......windoze is an abortion of an OS nowadays even on a powerful PC, never mind connected to a TV :sick:

think of solutions that are KISS! I download movies from tpb using a proper pc with linux, then copy them to a stick hanging off the kodi box......it can be slow over wifi but once the file is there, it's there and don't need tinternet anymore

the box I bought was a V88 one, not as complicated as it sounds to 'hack it', see here https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/25236-unofficial-rk3228-rk3229-libreelec-10-x-builds/

good luck!

PS you want a rockchip based android box, those amlogic based ones are poo nowadays, had a few in the past and they used to be ok, but I'd say rockchip now :cool:

Edited by driver52
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, driver52 said:

@giddyupspeaking from experience of using PCs and TV boxes for decades, I would get an android box and hack it to run kodi via libreelec

I recently bought a rockchip based box off ebay for a family member for like £1 plus p&p

beware of anyone who says 'pc with windows=perfect solution'......windoze is an abortion of an OS nowadays even on a powerful PC, never mind connected to a TV :sick:

think of solutions that are KISS! I download movies from tpb using a proper pc with linux, then copy them to a stick hanging off the kodi box......it can be slow over wifi but once the file is there, it's there and don't need tinternet anymore

the box I bought was a V88 one, not as complicated as it sounds to 'hack it', see here https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/25236-unofficial-rk3228-rk3229-libreelec-10-x-builds/

good luck!

PS you want a rockchip based android box, those amlogic based ones are poo nowadays, had a few in the past and they used to be ok, but I'd say rockchip now :cool:

Perhaps you can explain why he would need to hack it to run KODI via libreelec?

I don’t understand why people are coming up with ridiculously complicated ‘solutions’. 
Perhaps it’s better to not buy an outdated box in the first place. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

OK thanks for all the helpful info guys, will report in once I've made my purchase.

Don’t go cheap and have to buy twice, unless you are on a tight budget. 
Some really interesting advice being given here ????

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NextG said:

Perhaps you can explain why he would need to hack it to run KODI via libreelec?

I don’t understand why people are coming up with ridiculously complicated ‘solutions’. 
Perhaps it’s better to not buy an outdated box in the first place. 

because by default android TV boxes are a POS and an abortion akin to windoze :post-4641-1156693976:

by installing a 'native OS' that just runs kodi, you suddenly have a cheap, fast device that runs great even with just 1gb ram!

kodi is the DBs (dogs <deleted>), then it's v.easy to install a VPN, iplayer, even a torrent client if you want.....

PS a lot of hardware isn't really 'outdated' it's the sh!te software on it that's making it run like a dog yah? ie stick an SSD in an older pc/laptop and install linux and the performance can be surprisingly nifty :w00t:

PPS bear in mind what I'm suggesting here, replaces 'over complicated dogsh!te/carp GUI operating systems' with much more efficient and simpler ones, so it's actually 'less complicated' sir!! QED :passifier:

Edited by driver52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NextG said:

I bought a 64gb 4gb ram hk1 box. It was a POS. Overheated, occasionally dropping video, etc. It's now in a drawer. I replaced it with another box with similar specs, a TOX3. About 2500 baht in Thailand or 1500 on AliExpress. Rooted, no heat problems, no video dropping...

And as for not getting android updates. I don't want them. Google keeps adding stuff to make them more secure, which can prevent me from doing something I want to do. 

11 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I bought a 64gb 4gb ram hk1 box. It was a POS

rockchip based HK1 boxes are fekkin awesome! I've got a few of them, 1 runs adguard on docker for complete house DNS filtering* :post-4641-1156694572: it runs jocks armbian :biggrin:

I'm coming over to thailand next month, so I'll take your box off your hands for 50 baht if you're interested :wai:

*why do you need to do that? so that for example your sexy Samsung 'smart PITA' tv doesn't spy on you all the time and also deliver 'sh!tty brainwashing ads' :ph34r:

Edited by driver52

3 minutes ago, driver52 said:

rockchip based HK1 boxes are fekkin awesome! I've got a few of them, 1 runs adguard on docker for complete house DNS filtering :post-4641-1156694572:

it runs jocks armbian :biggrin:

I'm coming over to thailand next month, so I'll take your box off your hands for 50 baht if you're interested :wai:

Haha. I'd throw it out before I did that. Offer 1000 and I'd consider it. 

12 minutes ago, driver52 said:

because by default android TV boxes are a POS and an abortion akin to windoze :post-4641-1156693976:

by installing a 'native OS' that just runs kodi, you suddenly have a cheap, fast device that runs great even with just 1gb ram!

kodi is the DBs (dogs <deleted>), then it's v.easy to install a VPN, iplayer, even a torrent client if you want.....

PS a lot of hardware isn't really 'outdated' it's the sh!te software on it that's making it run like a dog yah? ie stick an SSD in an older pc/laptop and install linux and the performance can be surprisingly nifty :w00t:

PPS bear in mind what I'm suggesting here, replaces 'over complicated dogsh!te/carp GUI operating systems' with much more efficient and simpler ones, so it's actually 'less complicated' sir!! QED :passifier:

Android TV? You can choose a box that runs pure Android, like mine. 
To be honest, I didn’t notice that they were running Android TV. Mine runs pure Android. 
Whilst I am sure that you are trying to be helpful, both you, I and giddyup know that he won’t be ‘hacking’ anything. It’s really a nonsensical suggestion, especially as it will make absolutely no difference to the utility for him. It’s just indicative of the ‘esoteric’ advice that is being meted out here. 
What surprised me, is that with all of your tinkering, you are still downloading media to put on a stick to plug into the box ???? 

But you did raise a useful point. Perhaps it’s better to buy a box with pure Android if you don’t want to side load applications. Either way, for his needs, he is already on the right track. 

15 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I bought a 64gb 4gb ram hk1 box. It was a POS. Overheated, occasionally dropping video, etc. It's now in a drawer. I replaced it with another box with similar specs, a TOX3. About 2500 baht in Thailand or 1500 on AliExpress. Rooted, no heat problems, no video dropping...

And as for not getting android updates. I don't want them. Google keeps adding stuff to make them more secure, which can prevent me from doing something I want to do. 

Which model exactly?

3 minutes ago, NextG said:

Mine runs pure Android. 
Whilst I am sure that you are trying to be helpful, both you, I and giddyup know that he won’t be ‘hacking’ anything. It’s really a nonsensical suggestion, especially as it will make absolutely no difference to the utility for him. It’s just indicative of the ‘esoteric’ advice that is being meted out here. 
What surprised me, is that with all of your tinkering, you are still downloading media to put on a stick to plug into the box

don't think 'pure android' exists boss, they move the goalposts all the time eh?

I have a 'network of devices' so I'm not 'plugging a stick into a box'........I download free movies and TV series from my 'supercomputer' and just copy it where the hell I like! Ideally you have 'hard wired' devices with a decent gigabit router like a ubiquiti edgerouter, I only mentioned wifi cos the OP wanted it....

PS I don't even need to copy files manually if I don't want to, I can just set up a cron job.....anyways, time for something else methinks lol

1 minute ago, driver52 said:

don't think 'pure android' exists boss, they move the goalposts all the time eh?

I have a 'network of devices' so I'm not 'plugging a stick into a box'........I download free movies and TV series from my 'supercomputer' and just copy it where the hell I like! Ideally you have 'hard wired' devices with a decent gigabit router like a ubiquiti edgerouter, I only mentioned wifi cos the OP wanted it....

PS I don't even need to copy files manually if I don't want to, I can just set up a cron job.....anyways, time for something else methinks lol

I mean Android proper as opposed to Android TV. 
I am keeping the user in mind. He wants something that just works. Buy it, plug and play. 
So information that a box may overheat is useful, the rest, not so much. 

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Android TV? You can choose a box that runs pure Android, like mine. 
To be honest, I didn’t notice that they were running Android TV. Mine runs pure Android. 
What surprised me, is that with all of your tinkering, you are still downloading media to put on a stick to plug into the box ???? 

But you did raise a useful point. Perhaps it’s better to buy a box with pure Android if you don’t want to side load applications. Either way, for his needs, he is already on the right track. 

Never noticed if you actually stated what Android box you use.

19 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Never noticed if you actually stated what Android box you use.

That’s because I haven’t mentioned it. 
You simply cannot buy it anymore, unless someone is selling theirs second hand. Their current model runs Android TV 11 has 2GB of RAM and 16GB of storage. Currently around 1000 baht. I have not ever used Android TV and it’s Playstore.