US shoots down Chinese spy balloon off East Coast

Scott

image.png

Eyewitness describes the moment US military shot down spy balloon

Travis Huffstetler, a local photographer in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, said he witnessed the US military shoot down the suspected Chinese spy balloon Saturday afternoon.

He recalled seeing multiple aircraft flying around the balloon for about 20 to 30 minutes, before he saw what he assumed to be a missile come from an airplane that struck the balloon down.

Chinese balloon live updates: Balloon shot down, search for debris underway

A massive Chinese surveillance balloon that moved across the continental U.S. this week has been shot down.

The Pentagon has confirmed the balloon was being used for surveillance, disputing China's claim that it was a civilian aircraft used for meteorological purposes. Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder said the balloon didn't pose a physical or military threat, and once it was detected, the U.S. took steps to protect against foreign intelligence collection of sensitive information.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/live-updates/china-spy-balloon/?id=96874279

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rabas said:

Of course they shot it down. I'm sure the military and intel agencies want a look at it. Shooting it down over water may better preserve the spy equipment.

On the detente front: It was shot down by a single A9X sidewinder air to air missile. The A9X shot down it's first target drone at China Lake, California in 1952. It's first combat roll was during the second Taiwan Straight Crisis against China successfully shooting down many MIGs. wiki

technically incorrect.

the Sidewinder A9 series began a long time ago, but the A9X entered service in 2003.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

might it have been better to destroy it over the Pacific before the spy mission even started? lots of water there and no people...

Now you might take that up with the Canadians it was over there country first they might have gotten a bit miffed if we just flew into there country and started shooting down stuff as far as over the pacific that could pose issues if we do that stuff in international airspace 

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

might it have been better to destroy it over the Pacific before the spy mission even started? lots of water there and no people...

It entered the US in Alaska.  I haven't seen a map of the path, but with such close proximity to Russia, it's a little tricky to shoot something down that may have strayed.   Russian and US airspace have little separation in parts of Alaska.   I don't think we'd want any incident that involved Russian airspace.    It then appears that it moved down across part of Canada and next entered the US in Montana.   Biden gave the OK to shoot it down last Wednesday I believe, but it was decided to wait for it to be over open water and that would be the Atlantic, where it was shot down.  

Waiting was the prudent thing to do.   

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Scott said:

US military shoot down the suspected Chinese spy balloon Saturday afternoon.

Suspected spy ballon !!  Will they now confirm it was a spy ballon or using a missile to take it out instead of cannon fire will destroy all evidence.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Me being forever cynical ???? I wonder if they will announce that it was indeed a weather ballon not a spy balloon.

Was it or wasn't it I can't see the truth coming out one way or the other. 

‘They’ are going to hide ‘the truth’ from you, ‘they’ are going to put it with all that ‘other truth’ that ‘they’ are keeping from you.

Agent Moulder was right all along.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

I hear there is another balloon coming to go across America. Doesn't China have some big balls.

They say the balloon was civilian company weather ballon.

Also yes the other secret balloon whichChina thought nobody can see is over South American apparently.

• Like 1

Before the downing there was chatter about a second balloon over South America.  They're not talking about it anymore, or maybe just not right now.

So let's see, balloon pops, splashes into the sea.  A relatively soft landing (hey, it ain't rock) maybe the gear is salvageable.  Whatever data was collected I suspect was phoned home. 

Can we call this a cold war yet?

Gotta hand it to Fox Talk Channel for tying that certain laptop into this.

Edited by bendejo
  • Haha 2

Just deleted bull pie show froom both parts! 

I really do not think it managed to gather any valuable information, except checking if there is any loopholes in rhe security.

Usa finally shooting it down in a secure space was just demonstrating we do not accept this.

China complaining is another part of the deleted bull pie show.

Bull pie kinder garden politics as usual 

• Like 1