US shoots down Chinese spy balloon off East Coast

Scott

8 hours ago, Tug said:

Now you might take that up with the Canadians it was over there country first they might have gotten a bit miffed if we just flew into there country and started shooting down stuff as far as over the pacific that could pose issues if we do that stuff in international airspace 

Could you please stop posting common sense replies as it simply confuses him

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, billd766 said:

There is a vast difference in a spy balloon travelling at the speed of the wind and that of a nuclear missile being tracked on radar

A vastly different response time also.

No matter. Just keep blaming President Biden for everything.

You are sure to get something correct one day.

Well, I think that is open for debate....????

33 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

I will tell you what, If you stop blaming Trump for everything that's wrong with America, I will try my hardest to find one thing that Biden did right. Ok?

That would had been a compliment, everyone alike him, + all those who never make the news, but still extortion the society for all common wealth it could have and vote for the politicians who do not make a difference for the average joe, but only in it for themselves.

Using a missile to shoot down a balloon seems like a bit of overkill.

Surely a short burst of bullets would have done the job and the balloon would have come down slowly without damaging the instruments.

As a point of curiosity I thought missiles needed something to guide and detonate them. Hot exhaust or proximity to metal, presumably neither of which the balloon had. 

????

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

Surely a short burst of bullets would have done the job and the balloon would have come down slowly without damaging the instruments.

As a point of curiosity I thought missiles needed something to guide and detonate them. Hot exhaust or proximity to metal, presumably neither of which the balloon had. 

????

So you think you know better than the military about the best way to shoot this down.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

As a point of curiosity I thought missiles needed something to guide and detonate them. Hot exhaust or proximity to metal, presumably neither of which the balloon 

????

I thought exactly the same, a 200million aircraft firing a 400k missile to drop a bag of air just seems wrong and a waste of resources. Ax you say a short burst of bullets would probably have sufficed as you said.

6 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

I thought exactly the same, a 200million aircraft firing a 400k missile to drop a bag of air just seems wrong and a waste of resources. Ax you say a short burst of bullets would probably have sufficed as you said.

Perhaps treated as another training exercise, I mean, the USA spends zillions every day on the exercise thingy.........:cowboy:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

Jets don't carry machine guns anymore and smaller aircraft can't get to 50,000 feet.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, stevenl said:

So you think you know better than the military about the best way to shoot this down.

So you think the military should never be questioned? A bit like Russia perhaps!

I'm sure they had good reason for using very expensive missile instead of a few rounds of bullets.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who actually knows about these things the reasons.

4 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

So you think the military should never be questioned? A bit like Russia perhaps!

I'm sure they had good reason for using very expensive missile instead of a few rounds of bullets.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who actually knows about these things the reasons.

You didn't read my post above which explains precisely why they didn't use bullets? Are you imagining that this balloon was some kind of high tech spy thing that satellites couldn't handle? Are you imagining that the military wouldn't have shot it down if it was truly a threat? Are you imagining that the military couldn't block every signal coming out of it? Maybe a reality check might be in order? Some good old common sense instead of endless conspiracy bunkum?

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

Agree with your last sentence. A plausible explanation has been provided already.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I will tell you what, If you stop blaming Trump for everything that's wrong with America, I will try my hardest to find one thing that Biden did right. Ok?

And that will be easier for you than for me to find one thing that Biden did right. OK

34 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

????

I don't think any aircraft manufactured in the last few years have been equipped with machine guns using bullets. Mostly they are fitted with cannons of 20 to 30 mm bore and fire shells'

https://www.gd-ots.com/armaments/aircraft-guns-gun-systems/

They are usually equipped with guided or unguided missiles such as

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=aim9x+sidewinder&sxsrf=AJOqlzVjUBuP6vg60nXzAWKr5Uqv4gQ8aw%3A1675599409000&source=hp&ei=MJ7fY6HXOYGA3LUPm4iLkAE&iflsig=AK50M_UAAAAAY9-sQXc2Em3h832i9uPwN5AQk607LKFk&oq=aim9x&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYAjILCAAQgAQQsQMQgwEyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgUIABCABDIFCAAQgAQ6BAgjECc6CAguENQCEJECOhAILhCxAxCDARDHARDRAxBDOgsILhCABBCxAxCDAToOCC4QgAQQsQMQxwEQ0QM6BAgAEEM6CggAELEDEIMBEEM6BwguELEDEEM6BAguEEM6CAguEIAEELEDOgcIIxDqAhAnOggIABCxAxCDAVAAWO5iYLN8aANwAHgAgAGaAYgBhAWSAQMyLjSYAQCgAQGwAQo&sclient=gws-wiz

the big difference is that if you are firing upwards, shells once fired tend to slow down.

OTOH the missile is generally rocket powered and fitted with a proximity fuse, which means that it doesn't need to hit the target. just get close enough.

Sorry about the long winded reply but I had to do a search and then hang the differences together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Black Ops said:

so  you know better than the experts who had all the data, all the info, all the knowledge of Chinese balloons, best area to avoid debris damage on ground, how best to salvage at sea.....impressive

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CharlieKo said:

Talk about manufactured hysteria! It was a weather balloon. 

Why does China need to monitor the weather in Alaska, Canada and the continental US?  Weather balloons are launched by many countries everyday.  I have not heard of a foreign “wealthier” balloon flying over Chinese Airspace. 

Edited by sqwakvfr

Just now, sqwakvfr said:

Why does China need to monitor the weather in Alaska, Canada and the continental US?  Weather balloons are launched by many countries everyday.  I have heard of a foreign “wealthier” balloon flying over Chinese Airspace. 

It's a new high tech secret spy device.