Do you tip the cleaning staff?

Don Chance

You don’t need to tip much in Thailand - it is generally not expected for standard service, other than for meals where there is no service charge. Even then 50 or 100 baht is usually fine. However, many Thais do tip and expect and usually get better service as a result. Some foreigners tip for the same reason, or because they think it is expected.

However, if the culture in that place/area is that most tip, you might not be too popular if you don’t. Expectations are that you will. This can certainly be the case in tourist areas. The cow should produce milk! Personally, I suspect this is probably just a bit of a crappy place - there are many in Thailand - but if you like it you might make it a bit better for yourself by tipping. I think you already realise this.

“. I get it they don't get paid much, but is that my fault?”

This is going to be a bad attitude in the eyes of most staff. It’s not endearing. You are not wrong about fault but you are not dear either. Being dear is almost as important as being generous.

22 minutes ago, VBF said:

Not sure where you get that idea. Most places I go in Phuket (especially!) and Pattaya: bars, restaurants, taxis expect a tip. Now whether they get one depends hugely on the level of service I get....as the customer it's my prerogative. A good friend of mine often says "Tips are for us to give, not for them to take" 

I regularly stay at the same hotel and usually tip the maid for her good service...that also earns me extra towels, shampoo etc.

I don't usually do the tourist ghettos, tip happy staff areas, so rarely tip, and only when deserved, which is rare.   Actually leave most paying up to the wife, who does what Thais do, don't tip, or just small tip.

Nothing like a Yank 20% tip, which I had a problem breaking that habit when I first got here.

1 hour ago, Nonthaburi Boy said:

You don’t need to tip much in Thailand - it is generally not expected for standard service, other than for meals where there is no service charge. Even then 50 or 100 baht is usually fine. However, many Thais do tip and expect and usually get better service as a result. Some foreigners tip for the same reason, or because they think it is expected.

However, if the culture in that place/area is that most tip, you might not be too popular if you don’t. Expectations are that you will. This can certainly be the case in tourist areas. The cow should produce milk! Personally, I suspect this is probably just a bit of a crappy place - there are many in Thailand - but if you like it you might make it a bit better for yourself by tipping. I think you already realise this.

“. I get it they don't get paid much, but is that my fault?”

This is going to be a bad attitude in the eyes of most staff. It’s not endearing. You are not wrong about fault but you are not dear either. Being dear is almost as important as being generous.

Tipping 100 baht on a 180 baht meal is a bit high.

2 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Not sure what that means, as merely by visiting you are a 'cultural infestation'. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it sounds like a convoluted way of saying "I'm cheap".

Regarding the Malaysian you left hanging, do you consider that a personal victory, kind of like a vaccination against 'cultural infestation'? It does seem as if it makes you feel better about yourself, or perhaps superior to him.

A show of gratitude can make for good feelings. If you are traveling internationally, you clearly are much more well to do than hotel staff. Does it materially affect your lifestyle so much by leaving a little money in recognition of services provided? Is creating goodwill between cultures such a terrible thing that it demands you show them the error of their ways and thinking?

I use please and thank you. Giving money to someone you just met for basically nothing doesn't make you a better person, more so just following some tipping cult without thinking.

• Thanks 2