Do you tip the cleaning staff?

Don Chance

3 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Made sense to me. He sees quite a lot of thais...just like we do....give charity.to the poor.  Why not give...it's helpful even 50 baht can feed someone.

Millions of homeless people. Good luck feeding them.

1 hour ago, Saphan said:

Pretty bad guess. Tipping is a US thing not Thai. Not common elsewhere. US cult.

Giving someone 50 baht makes no real difference to their life anyway.

You're assuming yours is the only tip of the day.  If they clean 10 rooms, X50, they've probably more than doubled their income for the day X23 days, and X2 their monthly income.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

A show of gratitude can make for good feelings. If you are traveling internationally, you clearly are much more well to do than hotel staff. Does it materially affect your lifestyle so much by leaving a little money in recognition of services provided? Is creating goodwill between cultures such a terrible thing that it demands you show them the error of their ways and thinking?

I have tried that in some countries, and a local friend hit me and said I just insulted them. Learn local cultures and follow accordingly. 

In America now, expectation is 18%-20% tip. Companies learned they don't need to pay higher salaries, tipsters are the future. I prefer Thailand never become what is happening over in the U.S.

As for my "well to do" status, I spent 10 years cleaning toilets for a living in my 20's. No one tipped me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scoutman360 said:

I have tried that in some countries, and a local friend hit me and said I just insulted them. Learn local cultures and follow accordingly. 

In America now, expectation is 18%-20% tip. Companies learned they don't need to pay higher salaries, tipsters are the future. I prefer Thailand never become what is happening over in the U.S.

As for my "well to do" status, I spent 10 years cleaning toilets for a living in my 20's. No one tipped me. 

No doubt the business was quite profitable.

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I agree but why do you need extra towels?

You actually need to ask that question?  Bless! ????

Here's a clue: the hotel's in Pattaya and I'm a single guy on holiday! 

• Haha 2

Just because some folks don't tip, myself included, usually, doesn't mean, they, me, don't give to others, possibly to the more needing than those already working and living, OK.  At least they are with food & roof over their heads.

Though TBH, my charity days have wound down to about -0- since years past.  Any extra is now going to family, which in some aspects, relative speaking, is quite a bit of charity already.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Tipping in Thailand has been going on for a long time now. Can you produce any evidence where employers reduced the wages of their employees by the amount of their tips or even because of their tips?

It's simple supply and demand in the labour market. If a cleaner could earn more money working in a hotel (where they receive tips) than in an office (where they don't) then all cleaners would be working in hotels and none in offices. Obviously this isn't the case.

3 hours ago, Saphan said:

Millions of homeless people. Go tip them. Their wages are zero.

Nice rationalization. I've heard it before.

Since I cannot help EVERY SINGLE person in need, then no need to help anyone, right?

So life is unfair. Does that mean I can't offer aid to some, even if not all? Nobody's deity treats everyone equally (I'm of no faith). Why hold us mere mortals to a higher standard than believers hold their deities?

Be cheap if you wish. Avoid 'cultural infestation' if that makes you happy.

Some of us know how much dumb luck we've had in life, and we choose to spread a little of that luck around. To someone who makes 10K baht a month, 100 baht can make a difference. Stay in a hotel for a week, and the person has gotten a 7% raise. That can make a difference.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Nice rationalization. I've heard it before.

Since I cannot help EVERY SINGLE person in need, then no need to help anyone, right?

So life is unfair. Does that mean I can't offer aid to some, even if not all? Nobody's deity treats everyone equally (I'm of no faith). Why hold us mere mortals to a higher standard than believers hold their deities?

Be cheap if you wish. Avoid 'cultural infestation' if that makes you happy.

Some of us know how much dumb luck we've had in life, and we choose to spread a little of that luck around. To someone who makes 10K baht a month, 100 baht can make a difference. Stay in a hotel for a week, and the person has gotten a 7% raise. That can make a difference.

Go tip then. 

9 hours ago, VBF said:

You actually need to ask that question?  Bless! ????

Here's a clue: the hotel's in Pattaya and I'm a single guy on holiday! 

OK, fair enough. I've never been a monger, so wouldn't know.  I did know one guy who said he had 8 hookers in a day there!  If they are allowed in the hotel, couldn't you just ask the management for extra towels when needed?

• Haha 1

I use my own toiletries, but if needed I have never had a problem getting extra toiletries/towels etc. simply by asking politely.

One poster also mentioned tipping and getting extra water.

I've never encountered a hotel which offers unlimited water.

In SEA it's normally 2 bottles on arrival, and in most cases 2 bottles/day after that.

Tipping someone and asking for extra water forces the employee to make the choice of breaking their employer's rules, or face the possible loss of future tips.

Water is available at convenience stores for 5 to 7 THB per 600 ml bottle.

36 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I use my own toiletries, but if needed I have never had a problem getting extra toiletries/towels etc. simply by asking politely.

One poster also mentioned tipping and getting extra water.

I've never encountered a hotel which offers unlimited water.

In SEA it's normally 2 bottles on arrival, and in most cases 2 bottles/day after that.

Tipping someone and asking for extra water forces the employee to make the choice of breaking their employer's rules, or face the possible loss of future tips.

Water is available at convenience stores for 5 to 7 THB per 600 ml bottle.

At all of the hotels I have ever stayed at while traveling in Thailand water has never been limited to just two bottles per room, and no the staff does not get in trouble for supplying you with more and never has there been an extra charge on my room checkout bill.  Tipping someone for service is just that tipping them for service.  If you accept the minimum and are happy with the service then don't tip.  If you want great service and ask and receive more water or the toiletries refilled with more then you tip..it is simple.  You must stay at the bottom end 1000 Baht a day or less hotels......my guess is that you also don't pay for the room to include breakfast for you and your partner, and possibly kids.  I tend to stay at Hotels that have suites and bathtubs and are on the beach when we travel from the condo in BKK or the House in southern HH/Pranburi.  Since my partner loves to take baths ergo we use more toiletries.  Yes we take our own but when the toiletries at the Resort is of high end quality we use it as designed.  Next you'll be telling me that the hotel should be charging me for how much water gets used in the bath-tub.....moving on, because I am starting to smell a troll.

Edited by ThailandRyan

You are not obligated to tip anywhere.  It is at your discretion.  I base if I should tip on the specific situation.  And how much would depend on the quality of service.  
For example in my condo building in Bangkok.  I would tip only the staff that would personally help me with something not specifically related to their job.  The building is 40 floors with many staff.  I cannot give every employee in the building for just normally doing their job. 
If you are staying in a hotel.  At least tip your maid at the end of your stay.  That is of course if you were satisfied the person did a decent job.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

You are not obligated to tip anywhere.  It is at your discretion.  I base if I should tip on the specific situation.  And how much would depend on the quality of service.  
For example in my condo building in Bangkok.  I would tip only the staff that would personally help me with something not specifically related to their job.  The building is 40 floors with many staff.  I cannot give every employee in the building for just normally doing their job. 
If you are staying in a hotel.  At least tip your maid at the end of your stay.  That is of course if you were satisfied the person did a decent job.

In my condo unit, I buy the security staff food now and then and at Christmas and the Thai New Year give them small gifts of appreciation.  If we need help with items being taken up to the penthouse where we have our unit we also tip the staff for assisting.  At our house I also give items to the gardner and my pool cleaner from time to time. Our housekeeper caretakes both the house and our condo, and is a live in using the maids quarters. We gave her a nice bonus at Christmas and then again for the Chinese New Year. She has been with us for almost 4 years and she is very reliable and enjoys the extra given to her and thus takes extra care of the residences and us.  My neighbor in the other penthouse condo in BKK has gone through 4 housekeepers in 2 years as he treats them like feces and expects them to wait on him hand and foot.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

OK, fair enough. I've never been a monger, so wouldn't know.  I did know one guy who said he had 8 hookers in a day there!  If they are allowed in the hotel, couldn't you just ask the management for extra towels when needed?

I think you're over thinking this somehow.  Let's end it before we stray into territory not allowed on this forum. ????

I don't stay in hotels as much as I used to but I will always tip the cleaners 20 Baht a day unless they give me a reason not to want to tip them. If they give me a reason to tip more then I will.

20 Baht is nothing to me, but if the cleaners got 20 Baht from every room that they clean, it can make a big difference to them.

They deserve respect for doing an unpleasant job for minimum wage to take care of their families.

3 minutes ago, loong said:

I don't stay in hotels as much as I used to but I will always tip the cleaners 20 Baht a day unless they give me a reason not to want to tip them. If they give me a reason to tip more then I will.

20 Baht is nothing to me, but if the cleaners got 20 Baht from every room that they clean, it can make a big difference to them.

They deserve respect for doing an unpleasant job for minimum wage to take care of their families.

But they don't. Might as well give them 100 or 200 baht or not bother. 20 baht is nothing.

• Haha 1

I used to work in the Shangri-la Hotel in Bangkok and think it's unfair to tip the maids if you don't tip the laundry, security, front desk, consierge, etc. 

There are to many on this thread, and foreigner in Thailand generally that care too much what the Thais think of them. 

I never tip barbers, dentists, or gardeners. 

Farang who tip make it hard for the ones who've lived here a long time and understand the culture. 

I tipped my caddie 340 baht tip today and didn't even get a thank you. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1