Do you tip the cleaning staff?

Don Chance

11 minutes ago, Saphan said:

I use please and thank you. Giving money to someone you just met for basically nothing doesn't make you a better person, more so just following some tipping cult without thinking.

Stop making sense!

(How else can they publicly post their virtue signalling and delusions of grandeur?)

25 minutes ago, Saphan said:

7/11 staff are underpaid do you tip them for heating your food in a microwave?

Yep, I leave the small change on the counter when they hand me my toated cheese sandwich and coffee....chaching.  Filled my motorbike up todY 390 Baht, gave the young lad the 10 baht change......do unto others 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

We can agree to disagree.

If you know Thailand, you know how important 'face' is, and also how Thai people, on average, gain face.

Saying 'thank you' gives some face, a tip turbo charges it. Maybe they are overly materialistic, but even 100 baht is nothing to those of us who can afford international travel, while to someone who makes maybe 10K baht a month, it's meaningful.

Again, up to you, but I am of the opinion that it doesn't hurt to be a little generous and to find a way to recognize service that both makes the person feel good and also benefits them.

Thais don't tip much. 

Do you tip hotel clerks too? They signed you in and out. What about the guy selling fried chicken? Or the woman who sells you a hat do you not bargain and pay first price?

Or the chemist who sold you pills surely they need a tip too.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Stop making sense!

(How else can they publicly post their virtue signalling and delusions of grandeur?)

We are anonymous. What I write here grants me no virtue, as none of you could pick me out of a crowd of 2 people. If I wanted kudos, I'd tell you my name and show photos of the inside of my Gulfstream (am I joking or serious....hmmmmmm)

You live your life your way, and I will do it my way.

This is a Forum. It invites opinions. You gave yours; I gave mine.

To each his own.

Enjoy your money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VBF said:

Not sure where you get that idea. Most places I go in Phuket (especially!) and Pattaya: bars, restaurants, taxis expect a tip. Now whether they get one depends hugely on the level of service I get....as the customer it's my prerogative. A good friend of mine often says "Tips are for us to give, not for them to take" 

I regularly stay at the same hotel and usually tip the maid for her good service...that also earns me extra towels, shampoo etc.

I agree but why do you need extra towels?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Saphan said:

Do you tip hotel clerks too? They signed you in and out. What about the guy selling fried chicken? Or the woman who sells you a hat do you not bargain and pay first price?

Just a guess but I get the feeling the stingy element on here with the they get paid and do you tip everyone excuses would probably buy lady drinks, which are really tips, feed filthy soi dogs and tip their immigration officer for dodgy extensions. When it comes to hard working decent people giving you a personal service in your room though it's scrooge time.

5 minutes ago, Saphan said:

Not that you care, but hotel clerks at nice hotels make about 25K per month. Housekeeping staff make about 10K, unless they're Burmese, where they make 7K or so.

Does it hurt so much to show appreciation in a manner useful to them?

Again, it's a Forum for opinions. Obviously we disagree and it seems to rile you that anyone can hold a different view. I guess I'm a walking Cultural Infestation. So be it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, proton said:

Just a guess but I get the feeling the stingy element on here with the they get paid and do you tip everyone excuses would probably buy lady drinks, which are really tips, feed filthy soi dogs and tip their immigration officer for dodgy extensions. When it comes to hard working decent people giving you a personal service in your room though it's scrooge time.

Pretty bad guess. Tipping is a US thing not Thai. Not common elsewhere. US cult.

Giving someone 50 baht makes no real difference to their life anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Not that you care, but hotel clerks at nice hotels make about 25K per month. Housekeeping staff make about 10K, unless they're Burmese, where they make 7K or so.

Does it hurt so much to show appreciation in a manner useful to them?

Again, it's a Forum for opinions. Obviously we disagree and it seems to rile you that anyone can hold a different view. I guess I'm a walking Cultural Infestation. So be it.

Millions of homeless people. Go tip them. Their wages are zero.

11 minutes ago, Saphan said:

Pretty bad guess. Tipping is a US thing not Thai. Not common elsewhere. US cult.

Giving someone 50 baht makes no real difference to their life anyway.

Well in 29 years I have seen Thais tip all the time, especially in restaurants. I think the Thais don't tip is a bit of a myth, and an excuse.

3 minutes ago, proton said:

Well in 29 years I have seen Thais tip all the time, especially in restaurants. I think the Thais don't tip is a bit of a myth, and an excuse.

They tip like 20 or 40 baht on a 1000 baht bill. So no it's nothing like the US custom of giving 10 or 15%.