Pentagon says it had ‘an awareness gap’ that led to failure to detect 3 Chinese balloons under Trump

Scott

image.png

The American military had a “domain awareness gap” that allowed three other suspected Chinese spy balloons to transit the continental United States undetected under the Trump administration, the Pentagon general responsible for providing air and missile defense over North America said on Monday.

“Every day as a NORAD commander, it’s my responsibility to detect threats to North America. I will tell you that we did not detect those threats,” Gen. Glen VanHerck, commander of US Northern Command and North American Aerospace Defense Command said when asked about the three other balloons.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/06/politics/pentagon-balloon-monday/index.html

CNN-logo-July-4-2020-e1593906141959-300x

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Reads like frantic backpedalling from the false claims yesterday the Trump admin allowed at least 3 of these Chinese spy balloons to cross the USA just like biden's balloon did. Ouch.

Always worthwhile running a quick filter through eyebrow raising news. If it is attacking Trump, from media that famously called the Biden laptop "Russian disinformation" without evidence, and is perfectly timed to distract from disasters in the Biden administration it is almost certainly fake news.

Here’s a thought military personnel especially higher ups are very professional it could be (I’m speculating here) that they dident pass on the information due to the knowledge of trumps famous instability and temper tantrums 

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

If Norad failed to detect balloons, because they don't have capabiliities, how they know now how many really were those balloons, what was their trail, how dangerous were they. 

1/ do we believe they can't or couldn't detect balloons?

2/ if they couldn't, why not?

3/ if they couldn't, why so few balloons?

4/ undetectable balloons would be the perfect way to launch an attack on the US.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

One would think if a slow moving balloon was flying over the USA in Trumps time somebody would have seen it. A photo taken from the ground or a pilot would have reported it. The BS from the Pentagon and the Media is again untruth.

China should have big inscription on the balloon with large caps "This is a China spy balloon", Then everybody can see it and not think it is just another balloon flying across the sky and report it. Perhaps everybody should be trained to identify spy ballons and normal balloons. US has roughly 3,000 registered balloons. The airwaves wil be filled with reports. Some may even take a pot shot taking a lead from those deranged Maga GOP. 

Edited by Eric Loh
wrong words
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

China should have big inscription on the balloon with large caps "This is a China spy balloon", Then everybody can see it and not think it is just another balloon flying across the sky and report it. Perhaps everybody should be trained to identify spy ballons and normal balloons. US has roughly 3,000 registered balloons. The airwaves wil be filled with reports. Some may even take a pot shot taking a lead from those deranged Maga GOP. 

Of the 3000 register balloons how many are 200 ft wide? Maybe somebody should have told the F-22 pilot he could be shooting down a USA weather balloon. Think again.

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/3288543/f-22-safely-shoots-down-chinese-spy-balloon-off-south-carolina-coast/

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. You really have Trump in your head, the amount of times you insert him into threads.

Nah. I rarely ever think of him. Thankfully. It is just a humorous thing at this point. Kind of a running gag. He sure was funny, without intending to be so. 

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Nah. I rarely ever think of him. Thankfully. It is just a humorous thing at this point. Kind of a running gag. He sure was funny, without intending to be so. 

I don't really believe that you rarely think of him, but regardless he WAS a joke, and the joke was on the US that US politics have become so toxic that a man like that became POTUS. Sadly, his time is up but he hasn't got the message yet, but who can make him see that it's time to use the exit door from politics?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't really believe that you rarely think of him, but regardless he WAS a joke, and the joke was on the US that US politics have become so toxic that a man like that became POTUS. Sadly, his time is up but he hasn't got the message yet, but who can make him see that it's time to use the exit door from politics?

As an American I agree. And I would go so far as to state that the US will never again have a decent, halfway noble leader, with a modicum of integrity or leadership ability. The office has become so foul, and no decent person will have any interest in subjecting themselves to it.

Which leaves only megalomaniacs, creeps, crooks, and wannabe power mongers. Guys like Prayuth and Trump. It is a sad prediction, I know. 

Edited by spidermike007

Just now, spidermike007 said:

As an American I agree. And I would go so far as to state that the US will never again have a decent, halfway noble leader, with a modicum of integrity or leadership ability. The office has become too toaix, as you say, and no decent person will have any interest in subjecting themselves to it. Which leaves only megalomaniacs, creeps, crooks, and wannabe despots. 

Agree 100% with all in that post.

IMO Kennedy was the last decent POTUS. At least his heart was in the right place, even if his little head was in the wrong places.