Buy insurance: British tourist issues warning after moped crash

webfact

46 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Yes life is dangerous.

If you chose to not live life to the full, that's your problem.

Two dead i knew.  but do i stop life , no.

( Really stupid ) are those who don't live life. 

What a laugh.

The implication is unless you take needless and dangerous risk for cheap transportation or cheap thrills you're not living life to the fullest.

Hogwash

3 minutes ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

What a laugh.

The implication is unless you take needless and dangerous risk for cheap transportation or cheap thrills you're not living life to the fullest.

Hogwash

Boo.  :passifier:

Edited by Orinoco

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The Southern islands tend to attract alot of tourists and some expats who have little to no experience riding a bike, and figure "what could possibly go wrong in a relaxed island environment"?

In reality these islands are some of the most dangerous places in the world to ride a bike, and the number of injuries and deaths that happen are staggering. I used to live down there and personally witnessed many bike accidents. Also have a friend who worked for Samui Rescue for many years, and he told me the authorities do everything in their power to cover up the fatality totals...

I cannot agree more. I have lived and rode my bike in Pats and Bangkok, where even some Thais don't dare to ride the bike. But I have to say that down in Rawaii in Phuket is just the most dangerous area to ride a bike. Tourists with their rented big bikes and scooters without any or extremely insufficient experience race their bikes like there is no tomorrow. Mostly very aggressive, no helmet, shirtless, way to fast etc.

12 minutes ago, James105 said:

Insurance would not pay out if she didn't have a valid licence to ride here.   Based on the price of insurance (£200) for a healthy 24 year old girl my presumption is that she paid for insurance that very explicitly covered riding a bike over here as it was something she planned to do whilst here.  Seems like a sensible girl who took the correct precautions but just had an accident.   It happens.  At least she didn't need to rely on the kindness of strangers to help her financially with a Go fund me page.  

Unless y'all read her exact policy, you're all speculating what insurance she had, or the coverage.  What ever she had, was enough, thankfully for her.

I'm sure you all know every insurance policy, offered by every insurance company.  Plenty of policies out that, with no 'if ands or butts' we'll cover you, but not for the CC.

Instead of asking for cheapest policy, ask for the 'all inclusive, no matter what' policy.  Sure they exist, at a price.

Or she simply read the fine print of the cheapest policy, and abided by it ... NOBODY KNOWS

I'm guessing like all insurance, you get what you pay for.  I can get insurance that covers my 'stupidity' if I want, though cost more, than basic or no insurance.   I'm more a no insurance guy, but know my limitations.

GOD & BUDDHA are my co-pilot.

Have a nice day

PEACE OUT

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mangkhut said:

An insurance will be void if one doesnt have the correct license. And probably also if one rides a motorbike without a helmet and in flipflops….

Insurance usually finds a way not to pay. 

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why do we always have these experts who somehow think they know it all?

Did she have a motorcycle license? It was not mentioned.

Did she wear any helmet? It was not mentioned.

Did she drive like an idiot or was there maybe a reason that she got off the street? It was not mentioned.

Why don't we stick to the facts and don't speculate about what we don't know?

Just because you haven't got the acumen of the TV Detective Squad and aren't able to "read between the lines" and draw the obvious conclusions afterwards is no reason to <deleted> on those expert Shamuses we're so lucky to have to decode the signals from the events around us. I don't know what I'd do if it weren't for these intrepid inhalers of minutiae who are able to conjure up the real story from practically nothing! 

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The Southern islands tend to attract alot of tourists and some expats who have little to no experience riding a bike, and figure "what could possibly go wrong in a relaxed island environment"?

In reality these islands are some of the most dangerous places in the world to ride a bike, and the number of injuries and deaths that happen are staggering. I used to live down there and personally witnessed many bike accidents. Also have a friend who worked for Samui Rescue for many years, and he told me the authorities do everything in their power to cover up the fatality totals. 

Her facial scars will be permanent. It would require quite a reconstructive plastic surgeon, doing micro stitches for her to have any chances of avoiding substantial scarring, due to the scars being primarily horizontal. It will be a daily reminded for her, of a rather cavalier decision, and perhaps not exercising greater care driving. She may have encountered a patch of gravel, sand, rocks or oil and lost total control of her bike. Maybe. 

Agree fully with your two first paragraphs – Samui actually ranks in fatal traffic accidents as one of the most dangerous places in the World – while to the last paragraph, the article says: "Her scarring wasn't permanent - but she'll have to use factor 30 sunscreen on her face whenever she leaves the house for the rest of the year."

????

1 hour ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

What a laugh.

Hogwash

Social media has a lot to answer for, tik tok nonsense of kids sliding down waterfalls, tearing about on bikes minus helmets (left passport as deposit) thinking tuk tuks are cool and dancing about drugged to the eyeballs at the ghastly full moon party. They seem to think you have to go straight to KSR and start scoffing street food, filming the lot of course.

5 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

Never drive anywhere at night you haven't driven in the daytime. That way you will know where all the pot holes are.

Not quite true, you can get a smooth part of the road one day, and the next day a pot hole is there, quite common due to weather conditions, an overloaded truck etc.

I had the similar experience as her, even I had insurance, they constantly were demanding cash or card payments, while I was half K.O. in emergency room. Just garbage experience to be honest, better to have large stack of cash on a Thai bank ready for these situations, hard to do as a tourist.

• Like 1

With regard to articles like this one thing gets overlooked on a regular basis. A british driving licence is NOT valid for hiring mopeds, scooters etc. You must have either an international driving permit or Thai driving licence, if not your driving illegally.

In most cases those renting out the vehicles don't bother to check, they want the business. Should you get stopped at a police checkpoint and don't have the correct licence expect a fine of THB 1000.

Irrespective of if the individual was wearing a helmet or had been drinking alcohol doesn't have any influence on the insurance companies claim consideration. The simple fact is an illegal act was completed thus making payment null and void.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Bit like riding a bike you never forget.

She is young, so obtaining a uk full bike license ,would have been resent, and is not easy now days.

and moped ( terminology in article )

no 50cc mopeds in Thailand that ii have seen.

Ps Does having a UK provisional license allow her to ride a 125cc bike in Thailand ?

Maybe that would explain her in experience.

"no 50cc mopeds in Thailand that ii have seen." True, but some misguided posters do refer to a Honda Wave 125cc as a moped. Also, That same Wave is also regularly referred to as a scooter, that is also wrong, a scooter is a child's plaything that they hop along the pavement on.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

That same Wave is also regularly referred to as a scooter, that is also wrong, a scooter is a child's plaything that they hop along the pavement on.

Yes, they do that with the Honda wave as well here. !!!!!!!! :cheesy:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Also, That same Wave is also regularly referred to as a scooter, that is also wrong, a scooter is a child's plaything that they hop along the pavement on.

Not necessarily, as I don't think there is a 'legal'/'authorized' name for anything.  In TH, if it has 2 or 3 wheels & a motor, it's a motorcycle.

Other may call something a scooter, for whatever reason.   I've called all motorcycles, scooters for as long as I've been riding them.   Mine; 750/900/125/3000w, or friends Harley hogs.  It's a scooter to me.

Best different description I've seen to distinguish motorcycle from scooter is this: 

"Motorcycle vs. Scooter - J.D. Power

https://www.jdpower.com › shopping-guides › motorcy...

The design of a scooter includes a step-through frame and a platform for the rider's feet"

Along with placement & size of motors.  Most here, both, are 125cc or less, so not as relevant. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

How fast was she going to "lose control" and hit a house?

How drunk does one have to be to lose control and hit a house?

OMG! The poor girl was on her way to go Snorkeling so would not have been drunk. These are scooters and you can ride a scooter ie 125cc with a provisional licence and go on your merry way for 2 years with a CBT. Many reasons you can loss control of a motorbike. The child is humbled by her mistakes and says don't do what I have done. So many perfect people on here!!! She is left with a reminder every day for the rest of her life. Have some compassion. 

• Love It 2