Buy insurance: British tourist issues warning after moped crash

webfact

2 hours ago, Moti24 said:

Buy insurance: British tourist issues warning after moped crash!

The headline is a bit misleading.  Is it the British Tourist issuing the warning?  That's the same as saying, "I can do what I want, as long as somebody else is paying"!

If she didn't have a licence to ride a motorcycle, which is quite likely, why was she allowed to rent one?  The rental company should be made to pay her hospital bill.  After-all, it's through their all-too-common greed that she had the accident!  Word would soon get around, but I suspect it wouldn't make a slightest bit of difference!  Motorcycle rental companies are a law unto themselves; it'd be like telling a Soi Dog not to eat.

Please explain why "quite likely" she did not have a DL ?

3 minutes ago, JoePai said:

Please explain why "quite likely" she did not have a DL ?

Not what was said... actually 

3 minutes ago, JoePai said:

didn't have a licence to ride a motorcycle

It is a separate licence with another test in the UK and not many women pursue it..... but simply put, he doesn't know that. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Asean Now readers special mista. No need read articool to know everytink. Falang know everytink awredy.

More to do with low quality reporting & headline in the AN story.

Back to the OP,

I think the Thai hospital did a good job sewing her up.

Best not to drive your m/c through windows or anything else.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Well with insurance companies it's only a done deal when the money is in the hand.

Did they pay out, cant see it any place.

maybe i missed it.

"With the help of her dad, Dave, Emma was able to cover the bills - before being reimbursed by the travel company.

"It only cost £200 to take the policy out, and it saved me over £20,000 in medical bills," she said."

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why do we always have these experts who somehow think they know it all?

Did she have a motorcycle license? It was not mentioned.

Did she wear any helmet? It was not mentioned.

Did she drive like an idiot or was there maybe a reason that she got off the street? It was not mentioned.

Why don't we stick to the facts and don't speculate about what we don't know?

And, on top of that, she claims in her video that her insurance safed her 20.000 pounds.

1 minute ago, Salerno said:

"With the help of her dad, Dave, Emma was able to cover the bills - before being reimbursed by the travel company.

"It only cost £200 to take the policy out, and it saved me over £20,000 in medical bills," she said."

Yes, got it now.

Ho well, my bad.

Does beg the question, why she lost control then. if an experienced rider. ( having a uk bike license).

All sounds a little bit fishy to me.

But good  luck to her.

27 minutes ago, Mad mick said:

Iot if" she worn full face if" she was drunk if" this if" that ! Crikey give the kid a break she in bad enough state as it is,  its happened all if " are waste of time !! terrible lesson to learn no insurance etc,. hope she recovers Asap. 

FYI, she had insurance. The article excerpt posted here was not clear at all on that one. You'd have to read the whole article that they linked to in order to know.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Does beg the question, why she lost control then. if an experienced rider. ( having a uk bike license).

Haven't seen anything stating she was an experienced rider. If I got a bike licence 30 years ago but hadn't ridden since, it would still be a valid licence for insurance purposes, if I passed my bike licence a couple of days ago it would still be valid for insurance purposes. Neither scenario would have me described as an experienced rider though.

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

The fact that her insurance company paid the £20,000 (try reading the article) indicates that she had a licence to ride such a vehicle in the UK, because most policies issued in the UK stipulate that one must have a UK licence for the type of vehicle they are operating on holiday.

I'll just make that a bit easier for you: Not licenced to ride a scooter in UK?........then you won't be covered to ride one in Thailand.

TRY READING THE ******* ARTICLE /FIND OUT HOW M/C INSURANCE COVERAGE OPERATES ON UK ISSUED HOLIDAY INSURANCE !

That also goes for the those who approved your comment, and those who pretty much echoed it in their own posts!

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg.2ac4bebe70d2d5ad9b5820520072f792.jpg

How does a 20k baht bill become 20k pounds

She still has a lot of explaining to do.  

No offence but I think there is more to this story like what happened to the house and the people that live in it.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Possible she has a UK provisional licence which allows her to ride a 125cc scoot.

Never seen a report of that being valid for insurance nor for getting a Thai licence as a normal occurrence - although read a couple claiming they managed to get an IDP with motorbike licence indicated and where subsequently able to get a Thai licence.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Haven't seen anything stating she was an experienced rider. If I got a bike licence 30 years ago but hadn't ridden since, it would still be a valid licence for insurance purposes, if I passed my bike licence a couple of days ago it would still be valid for insurance purposes. Neither scenario would have me described as an experienced rider though.

Bit like riding a bike you never forget.

She is young, so obtaining a uk full bike license ,would have been resent, and is not easy now days.

and moped ( terminology in article )

no 50cc mopeds in Thailand that ii have seen.

Ps Does having a UK provisional license allow her to ride a 125cc bike in Thailand ?

Maybe that would explain her in experience.

Edited by Orinoco

34 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I often wonder if my propensity to drink kept me safe.. I would never use my bike at night as I would be swilling beer.... always rented one to get about during the day. 

And some scientist state 'no amount of alcohol is safe' ... ????

• Haha 1

Just now, Salerno said:

Never seen a report of that being valid for insurance nor for getting a Thai licence as a normal occurrence - although read a couple claiming they managed to get an IDP with motorbike licence indicated and where subsequently able to get a Thai licence.

UK A1 licence, allowed to ride up to 125cc..... Why would it not be valid for insurance ?

Doubt this lady was concerned with and IDP and obtaining a Thai licence.

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

My Mrs has taken my truck up to Nakhon Nowhere so I used my motorcycle to go a bit further afield than the usual 7-11 trips. Surprising how quickly one can feel less than safe on a motorcycle if not having ridden for a spell. Bad road surface was my major issue and it has you all over the place. 

• Like 1

I remember many years ago a group of us went to one of the Spanish islands .

We went to rent mopeds and had to show we could ride up the road and back without falling off before we could rent the bikes.

(Turns out the owner of the shop just had one drunk lad go off the end of the pier on one of his mopeds)

We passed that easily enough and all thought that was so easy but Thailand is way more relaxed just leave your id and off you go.

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

IIRC it also required L plates while riding.....

It is true though that the post office will be lapse and stamp all the boxes in an IDP  without checking.... you can drive  a double decker bus if you want. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Uk Moped licence (50cc) at 16.

UK A1 licence (125cc) at 17.

Does it let you ride in Thailand ?

and do insurance companies let you do that in a foreign land.?

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sig said:

She doesn't have ANY explaining to do. It's nobody's business but her's and I suppose the involved parties (house owner, insurance company, police...). I can't begin to fathom how or why you'd think she has a lot of explaining to do....

OOPS worded it wrong.  Should have said there is a lot of explaining I agree it is not up to her but on the other hand it was not up to her to go to the media with this.

I just wish all media would tell the whole story of things not just n this case but in all neews.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sig said:

She doesn't have ANY explaining to do. It's nobody's business but her's and I suppose the involved parties (house owner, insurance company, police...). I can't begin to fathom how or why you'd think she has a lot of explaining to do....

Amazing AN posters.   <deleted>, she had a bad bounce on a window, she didn't knock the house down and the occupants aren't homeless ... ????

I actually hit a house once on a 350cc, thankfully it wasn't through their living room bay window.  NO, wasn't drunk, just stupid.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Orinoco said:

Does it let you ride in Thailand ?

and do insurance companies let you do that in a foreign land.?

It is a licence to ride a 125cc.

Well obviously insurance companies do let you do that in foreign companies because they paid out this ladies claim.......... not something they would do lightly.

53 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

As  she was from the UK it is unlikely she would be thinking to drive on the right....quite perplexed why this irrelevance made up 60% of your post! 

Things seem to have gone remarkably well for this young woman... so many end up far worse off and likely to lose parts without a GoFundme Page. 

I was thinking the same thing on all counts!
But to be fair, it was only 56% of his post ????

31 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

It is a licence to ride a 125cc.

Well obviously insurance companies do let you do that in foreign companies because they paid out this ladies claim.......... not something they would do lightly.

I was under the impression you can't when it comes to insurance companies with polices from the uk.

It would kind of make sense ,that a level of competence would be required to insure you. ( like a full license )

Does anyone know 100% on this. ?

Edited by Orinoco

31 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not what was said... actually 

It is a separate licence with another test in the UK and not many women pursue it..... but simply put, he doesn't know that. 

I had not realised that there were so many different vehicle categories nowadays.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/running/uk-driving-licence-and-categories-explained?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=71700000100854918&utm_group=&utm_keyword=&utm_term=&network=x&utm_account=700000001745867&gclid=CjwKCAiAioifBhAXEiwApzCztt6CzvICJnzS3mdV_7FdccaCErtkgVVZ_tQXhrYwlz3b17hms7ZEkRoCQSkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Category    Age    Description
AM                16    Mopeds and Quadricycles up to 45mph
A1                  17    Mopeds up to 125cc and 11kW (14.75hp)
A2                 19    Motorbikes up to 35kW (46.9hp)
A                   24    Any Motorbike
B                   17*    Any car (automatic-only licences are also available)
B (minibus)   21    Minibuses – only valid in UK and not for hire or profit
C1                 18    Medium sized vehicles (e.g. large vans)
C                  21    Large sized vehicles (e.g. non-articulated lorries)
C+E              21    Large sized vehicles with a trailer (e.g. articulated lorries)
D1                21    Minibuses
D                 24    Buses
F                 17/18/21    Tractors (dependant on width)
G                21    Road rollers
H                21    Tracked vehicles (e.g. tanks)
K                16    Mowing machines or other pedestrian-controlled vehicle

If you already have a licence but aren’t sure what categories you can drive, take a look at the Government’s licence checker. 

• Thumbs Up 1