Buy insurance: British tourist issues warning after moped crash

webfact

image.jpeg

Her face was scarred as it was cut open by the window she crashed into. Credit: SWNS

A BACKPACKER'S trip to Thailand turned into a "holiday from hell" after she crashed a moped through a window.

Emma Lewis, 24, was driving the scooter when she lost control and crashed into a house window while on the way to go snorkelling in Koh Phangan.

A taxi driver quickly came to her aid when he witnessed the aftermath of the crash and drove her to a local medical clinic.

Emma's injuries included deep cuts on her left shoulder, right thigh and knee - as well as the wound on her face and severed tendons in her right foot.

She was "x-rayed and packed with gauze" before being rushed to Bangkok Samui Hospital in Koh Samui, in two ambulances and a speedboat.

The tourist sliced her face open from side to side and needed 56 stitches after the collision.

Full story: https://www.thesun.co.uk/travel/21294870/backpacker-thailand-moped-crash-warning-travel-insurance/

image.jpeg

-- © Copyright THE SUN 2023-02-08

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why do we always have these experts who somehow think they know it all?

Because we do.

when it comes to tourists and motor bikes when  it all goes wrong.

Same, same,  but same.  :coffee1:

Edited by Orinoco

Only 20k Sterling all in.... surprised they did not go a bit harder on the insurance.

Have been going through the bill I received from a hospital with similar name.

At 5b each for a tissue I thought to myself no wonder the locals use a garden hose to clean their ass !!

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's some time ago that I was in Samui and riding motorcycle in the dark.

At least at that time there were stretches of road with no light and little traffic.

Lots of people who come to Thailand drive and ride on the other side of the road back home. If there is just an empty road then it's somehow easy to forget: Shold I drive left or ride. Add someone coming from the other side with the same question and it gets difficult. I don't know if that was an issue in this case but it's one of those possible problems.

And then there is sand, big holes in the street, animals running over the street and other unexpected situations.

I hope she will recover fully.

Never drive anywhere at night you haven't driven in the daytime. That way you will know where all the pot holes are.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

Never drive anywhere at night you haven't driven in the daytime. That way you will know where all the pot holes are.

I often wonder if my propensity to drink kept me safe.. I would never use my bike at night as I would be swilling beer.... always rented one to get about during the day. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Iot if" she worn full face if" she was drunk if" this if" that ! Crikey give the kid a break she in bad enough state as it is,  its happened all if " are waste of time !! terrible lesson to learn no insurance etc,. hope she recovers Asap. 

Edited by Mad mick
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mad mick said:

Iot if" she worn full face if" she was drunk if" this if" that ! Crikey give the kid a break she in bad enough state as it is,  it happened all if " waste of time !! terrible lesson to learn no insurance etc,. hope she recovers Asap. 

From what I read she actually did have insurance, and even more surprisingly,  it might have paid up!

• Thumbs Up 2