Buy insurance: British tourist issues warning after moped crash

webfact

18 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Maybe so -- but the application whether in Thailand or ex-Thailand is a binding legal document where the applicant certifies that the medical data provided is accurate and complete.

I am not qualified to provide medical data that is accurate and complete! Not being a medical institution... 

The contract is a legal document too... and should not be issued with options to renege!

On 2/7/2023 at 2:01 PM, Andycoops said:

It just boggles the mind that I am sure the majority of these idiots don't even know how to ride a motorcycle in their own country but think they can here.

There are also a lot of hazards here like <deleted> in the road, sand sitting on the road, potholes filled with water, etc that are typically cleaned up in other countries. It's not all about knowing how to ride.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:
On 2/8/2023 at 12:27 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

It did pay up because, unsurprisingly, legitimate, non-voided claims are always paid by insurers.

Nonsense.... insurance companies accept premiums and do a very poor job of telling you in advance what is not covered, if they bother at all. Make a claim, then you find out how good or bad your policy is. they will retroactively pursue your medical records (withholding any payment) looking for a weasel opportunity. Policies can be modified in mid term. Take your agenda elsewhere. 

To quote your words, take your agenda elsewhere, I do not have an agenda.

Every regulated insurer has to specify what their policies do and do not cover and they do so in the policy that every policy-holder is supplied with.  Anyone who starts a policy without knowing what is covered is an idiot who just needs to ask the insurer or the broker before paying any premiums.   

Of course insurers check the policy holder's medical records before paying a related claim, that's to establish that the claim is covered by the policy and valid.   Why would any rational person deny them that right?   Insurance companies are not obligated to pay claims for conditions that are not covered and checking out that is not "weaseling" neither is it withholding payment unreasonably. 

Which insurance policy provisions have you had altered mid contract to your detriment?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am not qualified to provide medical data that is accurate and complete! Not being a medical institution... 

The contract is a legal document too... and should not be issued with options to renege!

Are you also not qualified to ask the medical institutions where you're received treatment to provide the accurate and complete information? Can you remember any of them? So then, the insurance co. should probably check for you, no?

Edited by BigStar

20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which insurance policy provisions have you had altered mid contract to your detriment?

On making a very small claim my first problem was they rejected paying the claim directly to the hospital. (Submit receipts later I was instructed.. hardly useful to someone incapacitated). On making that claim I was required to authorize them to access all medical records in their preparation to  review payment. (The claim I had made was actually small and minor). That resulted  in an amendment to my policy with quite  a list of new exclusions.... this after 4 years of no claims and in my mind leaving me high and dry. 

I suspect they were reducing their risk as a I got older... certainly not their premiums. What was 'left', less cover, was even more expensive the next year. Self insurance  became the best option. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I was required to authorize them to access all medical records in their preparation to  review payment. (The claim I had made was actually small and minor). That resulted  in an amendment to my policy with quite  a list of new exclusions.

Perfectly normal to request medical records.    Unless you had not disclosed pre-existing conditions, I'm sorry, I don't believe that they just added exclusions to avoid paying a legitimate claim.  

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perfectly normal to request medical records.    Unless you had not disclosed pre-existing conditions, I'm sorry, I don't believe that they just added exclusions to avoid paying a legitimate claim.  

The small claim I made was actually paid after a bit of time .... my main issue was that I was not covered immediately. That is of little use.... and the ensuing modifications to a current running policy, one being an added exclusion, the other inclusion of a cardiac related co-pay. I had no record of cardiac issues/treatments, so have no idea from where this originated

What you believe is of no consequence in this matter, and as we said before, THEY get to decide what is legitimate or not. And why ask for records only after a claim, if not to avoid paying it?

You can ride a motorcycle in Thailand without a licence and be covered by your travel insurance if you have done things correctly.

You have to undergo a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) course which is one day training, at the end of which you get a certificate. It is not a licence. That certificate allows you to drive a motorcycle up to 125CC in the UK for one year. A travel insurance policy that allows you to ride a motorcycle, and not all do, will contain the clause that you're only allowed to ride a motorcycle overseas that you would be allowed to ride in the UK.

This is known on UK student forums and is probably why this girl had insurance that covered her. I also checked with my daughters insurance company when she was going overseas and they confirmed in writing that the CBT certificate meant that she was covered exactly as she would have been in the UK.

CBT Certificate

Edited by roamer
Additional information
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, roamer said:

You can ride a motorcycle in Thailand without a licence and be covered by your travel insurance if you have done things correctly.

You have to undergo a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) course which is one day training, at the end of which you get a certificate. It is not a licence. That certificate allows you to drive a motorcycle up to 125CC in the UK for one year. A travel insurance policy that allows you to ride a motorcycle, and not all do, will contain the clause that you're only allowed to ride a motorcycle overseas that you would be allowed to ride in the UK.

This is known on UK student forums and is probably why this girl had insurance that covered her. I also checked with my daughters insurance company when she was going overseas and they confirmed in writing that the CBT certificate meant that she was covered exactly as she would have been in the UK.

CBT Certificate

Thank you. Most informative.

5 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Thank you. Most informative.

Still, I wonder if a tourist can ride a motorcycle in Thailand without a licence from your home country...this CBT is not a licence! It is also limited to 125cc and under, many scooters here are above that.. 150-165cc being common.

Edited by jacko45k