God is neither male nor female': Church of England is considering gender-neutral terms

Social Media

14 hours ago, xylophone said:

So "God is mighty and it omnipotent" and that's why he let around 6 million Jews, supposedly his chosen people, perish during the World War II............. 

Many gods have been worshipped throughout time, and some even supposedly created the world and man, and look where that got us.

As a French theologian said, "God is a man-made construct, because man wanted to believe there was a higher being/something out there who created him and the world", or words to that effect.

However it is your prerogative to believe in fairy stories if it gives you some comfort.

Prove God is a fairy story.

However, as the thread is about religion, rather than God, which is not a being defined by religion, which IMO is man made construct invented to control people, carry on mocking religion if you will, but know that it's not about God, but about god of men's invention.

So "God is mighty and it omnipotent" and that's why he let around 6 million Jews, supposedly his chosen people, perish during the World War II............. 

When God created the universe, IMO it wasn't to care about individual people, tribes, species etc. Countless billions of people have been murdered on this planet and I have no doubt on other planets. The dinosaurs were also part of creation and were all destroyed.

Every planet, solar system, sun, galaxy in the universe has a finite life span and will end eventually.

Creation is beyond the individual, and this planet, and everything on it is just an insignificant speck in the universe, of no cosmic importance except to the life forms on it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Did your god get bored? Did it feel unappreciated and need to toss out 200 billion or so galaxies, most with around a trillion stars, most stars having planets orbiting them, just so on one planet orbiting one star in one galaxy some sentient beings would emerge ~4.5 billion years into the planet's existence, who would then thank and praise said deity for all and sundry things, while saying all the maladies like childhood cancer, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc., are just part of some Mysterious Ways Master Plan?

Firstly, why do you ascribe human qualities to God. Do you think God is a human?

Secondly, why do you think God cares about an insignificant species on an insignificant planet in an insignificant solar system in an insignificant galaxy?

A species that is so demented it is busily destroying the wonderful planet it was given to live on and invests most of it's effort in killing each other. If God had human emotions likely God would have exterminated us by now so a better dominant species could emerge.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, James105 said:

Of course that is not possible.

Just in the same way it is not possible to prove that fairies, unicorns, Santa and goblins do not exist.   

Of course if you can prove that god does exist then you will turn me into a believer.    If you have a direct line to this omnipotent being then please tell this almighty wizard to come down and show himself.   If this entity cares about whether or not puny humans believe in him then I am sure he will be along anytime now to demonstrate this.   

I can prove it but not by any means that you would believe. Science is currently so primitive it isn't capable of proving or disproving that God exists.

It really comes down to personal experience.

However, if you can't prove something does not exist, logically you have to admit that it could exist, whether you want to or not.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

13 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Oh please explain what a 'divine presence'' is, did he/she/it come and talk to you? 

is his presence being felt in Turkey right now? You can keep talking to imaginary friends if you like, but doctors have a word for that.

please explain what a 'divine presence'' is, did he/she/it come and talk to you? 

Have you heard of a "road to Damascus" experience? Do you understand what it is? Do you accept that it happens? If you do, then you have your answer.

If you don't accept that it happens then you will not have an answer.

10 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Riddle me this, CofE.....

Was your non-binary deity a rapist? Deadbeat dad?  Tough to make it female if you insist it knocked up an Earthgirl.

Or did Mary just come up with the Mother of All Alibis?

"I swear, Joey, god did it!"

Do you think that God is supposed to be a human that lives in the sky?

If you do, then there is little to discuss, so I won't try and explain why the creator of the universe of trillions of stars wouldn't have a problem inseminating a female without using a human body to do so.

12 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

That's the spirit in the bottle? Very powerful.

you believe what you want to believe, let others believe what they want to believe. 

I don't think he was trying to convert you, and you are welcome to believe whatever you want- the Inquisition ended a long time ago.

Just don't expect believers to care if you don't.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you think God is a human?

No, they’re a figment of human imagination and no more real than centaurs, pixies, fire breathing dragons or any other mythological creature. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I can prove it but not by any means that you would believe. Science is currently so primitive it isn't capable of proving or disproving that God exists.

It really comes down to personal experience.

However, if you can't prove something does not exist, logically you have to admit that it could exist, whether you want to or not.

How is one supposed to disprove the existence of something that cannot be proven to exist?

There is no proof for the existence of god to disprove. 

Edited by Bluespunk
Wording and punctuation
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can you prove Santa Claus does not exist?  If you cannot then logically you have to admit that Santa Claus exists, whether you want to or not.  

• Love It 1